Rank & Rate: The Colin Baker Era

Discussion in 'Doctor Who' started by Emperor-Tiberius, Aug 30, 2015.

1. Emperor-Tiberius

Emperor-Tiberius Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

OK, now we got to, arguably, the worst era of Doctor Who, with the most controversial of all them all, the Sixth Doctor.

What did you think of this Doctor's 11 stories*? How'd you rank them? What did you think of the two series he was in, and of Colin Baker, the first, and only, actor to play the part that was actually fired by the BBC.

Discuss!

PS: Yes, his BF stuff is superior. I mean, it just has to.

*Yes, 11. I don't count Trial of a Time Lord as a single story, and it amazes me that its counted as such (just like it amazes me that Mission to the Unknown is counted as a story while being one single episode, and a very clear prequel to The Daleks Master Plan, while at that). Anyway, its four stories, written by four writers. Thus, 11 stories instead of 8. There.

[​IMG]

2. Emperor-Tiberius

This Doctor's era has been pretty bad, for the most part. His first season, along with his infamous post-regeneration debut, is IMO, the worst season/series Doctor Who has ever endured. The budget is in a new all-time low, the producer has clearly gone nuts with the costume selection, the script editor has no idea how to steer the characterization of the character and achieve the progression he so desired for him (though bad scripts didn't help really), and... that costume. I'm sorry, but nothing in the world can actually attest to the bad taste this costume leaves - the worst thing I'd say about Big Finish, is that they stopped using his SUPERIOR alternative blue costume (currently my avatar pic in this forum) and reverted to this ghastly homage to bad taste. Its no wonder Michael Grade got his wish at the end - with that kind of costume, how can you take any protagonist seriously?

And all of this is too bad, because Colin Baker was a fine actor, and Big Finish has proved with him, more than any other, that he would've been a great actor had there been some modicum of respect to the character and the show, which in my opinion is nowhere to be seen in at least his first of his two seasons. And the proof lies in the Trial of a Time Lord season, in which Colin DOES get to shine, providing a rounder interpretation of the character, in an improved (though not great, granted) series of stories, with a great (yet never seen again) villain in the Valeyard. Its too bad CB didn't even get a regeneration story to call his own, at least on-screen - its very thankful the actor finally caved in for one, and a surprisingly good one in The Brink of Death (which, spoiler-free, dovetails into the Seventh Doctor's era nicely).

But as is, this is the poorest era of the show, the poorest all-around era of any Doctor, and consequently, he's the weakest-developed of all the Doctors. But, on the bright side - he's had at least five good-ish stories in him, including his only great one, Vengeance on Varos. Its commentary is, sadly, still spot-on.

Anyway, the list:

12.Twin Dilemma
    11.Timelash
    10.The Mark of the Rani
    9. The Jim'll Fix It Segment, without that sick Jim in it, of course (think of an ending yourselves!)
    8. Revelation of the Daleks
    7. Terror of the Vervoids

6. The Ultimate Foe
    5. The Two Doctors
    4. The Mysterious Planet
    3. Attack of the Cybermen
    2. Mindwarp
    1. Vengeance on Varos

Last edited: Jun 23, 2017
  3. kirk55555

kirk55555 Vice Admiral Admiral

I love this Doctor, and I enjoyed his era. It was the first Classic Doctor that I completed (meaning the first one where I saw every one of his televised stories). His personality is kind of rough, but in a good way. His costume is goofy, but instantly memorable, and I've grown to love it. I honestly really dislike the Blue Big Finish costume, and the toned down stage version of the classic costume, for the 6th Doctor. To me, his classic coat will always be a favorite when it comes to the various Doctors costumes. As for his traveling companions, Peri was a great companion, while Mel is the second worst Doctor Who companion I've ever seen (after Series 8 Clara).

Ranking the Sixth Doctor serials in categories

Great:
    Attack of the Cybermen
    The Two Doctors

Good:
    The Mark of the Rani
    Vengeance on Varos
    The Ultimate Foe
    The Mysterious Planet

Ok:
    The Twin Dilemma
    Mindwarp

Meh:
    Terror of the Vervoids

Bad:
    Timelash
    Revelation of the Daleks

So, I enjoy most of his stores. The Two Doctors gave me a team up of my favorite 2 Classic Doctors, and Attack of the Cybermen is still my favorite Cybermen serial. I know The Twin Dilemma is unpopular, and it has a lot of problems, but I still liked it. With better actors for the twins, and the removal of the infamous choking scene, this would have been upgraded to atleast a "good" serial for me. As it is, its watchable and far from the worst first story for a Doctor (the 7th Doctor wins that honor with Time and The Rani).

When it comes to bad serials, Timelash was just atrocious, I don't know if I could watch it again. Revelation of the Daleks was also horrible, with a poor story and a stupid, pointless DJ who really took the serial from mediocre to intolerable.

Overall, Colin baker deserved a lot better. Still, his era is very enjoyable for me, and its easily better than the 7th Doctor's era in my opinion.

PhotoBoy and Qonundrum like this.
  4. Emperor-Tiberius

You know, at least we very much agree on how overrated Revelation of the Dlaeks really is, how underrated Attack of the Cybermen is, and how Time and the Rani is still a worse post-regeneration story for a new Doctor. But, I can't stomach Twin Dilemma - its not the worst DW story though, but it very nearly is. Its dreadfully produced, and overally a very boring story. I think I nodded off after the second episode.

5. kirk55555

kirk55555 Vice Admiral Admiral

I can totally understand why people hate The Twin Dilemma, and I can't really defend it as a "good" story. I just happen to think it was decent, while acknowledging that it has huge flaws and is probably an objectively "bad" serial. I'd really never recommend it to anyone who didn't just want to see the first 6th Doctor serial, or people who are watching everything chronologically or something.

There are definitely worse Doctor Who serials (like the already mentioned Time and the Rani), and The Twin Dilemma isn't one of the highlights of the 6th Doctor's run by any means. Still, for some reason I like it more than a lot of people, even if I find it hard to explain exactly why.

6. mythme

mythme Commodore Commodore

it's funny, but every time I go to the Doctor Who shelf and peruse the DVDs I keep thinking "oh, there has to be a good Colin Baker one I can get into". Sadly, there really isn't. Varos is passable, but its unfortunate that the best of #6 is what passes as mediocre for the other Doctors. Colin should send thank you letters every week to Big Finish for salvaging his legacy.

11.Timelash
    10.Twin Dilemma
    9. Revelation of the Daleks
    8. Terror of the Vervoids
    7. The Ultimate Foe
    6. The Two Doctors
    5. The Mysterious Planet
    4. The Mark of the Rani
    3. Attack of the Cybermen
    2. Mindwarp
    1. Vengeance on Varos

7. Saga

Saga Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Attack of the Cybermen is the only 6th Doctor story i enjoy. the rest range from awful to unwatchable.

8. Emperor-Tiberius

Come on, Vengeance on Varos is neither awful or unwatchable.

9. DWF

DWF Admiral Admiral

Colin Baker's era had several problems with it the new format, and having an unlikable Doctor made people turn to to American shows. the budget was fine and of course the usee of paint box and the space station open on The Trial Of A Time Lord were state of the art at the time, the rest of the show production just wasn't up to those standards.

Mindwarp
    The Mark Of The Rani
    The Mysterious Planet
    Attack Of The Cybermen
    The Two Doctors

Were his best stories in my mind, but generally it was a bad era and yes Baker was shortchanged, but his Doctor was badly written and realized. And really there was little thought beforehand about his character, but making instantly unlikable was a bad decision IMO.

10. Saga

Saga Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

its pretty bad.

11. zarkon

zarkon Captain Captain

Listage, best to worst:

Terror of the Vervoids
    Vengeance on Varos
    The Two Doctors
    Mindwarp
    The Mysterious Planet
    The Ultimate Foe
    Attack of the Cybermen
    ----------- cut off for me overall enjoying the episode
    Revelation of the Daleks:
    The Mark of the Rani
    Timelash
    The Twin Dilemma

Really like Vervoids. Sealed area mysteries are fun. Dilemma is a contender for worst ep of who ever.
    In retrospect CBaker's era was probably more enjoyable then Davison's ratio wise. But you can never really get away from JNT casting him as an unlikeable turdburger.

12. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

It was a largely unmemorable era, with the only real standout episodes those that make up the larger Trial of a Time Lord Story

13. Chaos Descending

Chaos Descending Vice Admiral Admiral

Timelash. BEST. EPISODE. EVER.

/thread

14. Emperor-Tiberius

[​IMG]

Almost. :)

15. VDCNI

VDCNI Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

From best to worst

Terror of the Vervoids
    Revelation of the Daleks:
    The Mark of the Rani
    Vengeance on Varos
    The Two Doctors
    The Mysterious Planet
    The Ultimate Foe
    The Twin Dilemma
    Mindwarp
    Attack of the Cybermen
    Timelash

16. Mark_Nguyen

Mark_Nguyen Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Often enough, when someone goes on about how atrocious this Doctor's outfit was, I like to ask them to Google "1980s fashion". That costume is hardly a high point, but it's really an (admittedly exaggerated sci-fi) product of the times.

Mark

jaime and Turtletrekker like this.
  17. Timewalker

Timewalker Cat-lovin', Star Trekkin' Time Lady Premium Member

In many different universes, simultaneously.
    Other than Vengeance on Varos (actually quite good), The Two Doctors (loved seeing the Second Doctor and Jamie again), and seeing Brian Blessed falling for his beloved "Perpugilliam of the Brown", the rest of the Sixth Doctor era was crap.

Such a shame, that. I've never heard any of the Big Finish stuff, but I loved seeing Colin Baker in The Five(ish) Doctors Reboot.

18. DWF

DWF Admiral Admiral

Vengeance on Varos still ind of works as a satire on television, but it really hassn't help up well over time and beinga studio bound story didn't help matters.

19. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

If you should ever take the dive into Big Finish Colin Baker Serials (and you enjoy having downloaded Audio, rather than physical Media [or you could make your own disks from the downloads, which is what I do]), I suggest starting with the Evelyn Smythe Companion era. I believe there are at least 8 in the first 100, which can be downloaded for just a couple/few bucks for each 4 episode (25+ minutes per episode) story. The first couple aren't terrific, but, introduces Evelyn and I think the second one features the Brigadier. After that, the whole rest of the Six/Evelyn Series is pretty awesome, especially Jubilee.

Evelyn is an awesome Companion. She's a 50/60 something History Professor, so not your typical young miniskirt that is often the Companion (though, I do love some of those Companions). You might be able to get the Physical Media for a bit more, but, they discontinued the first 100 (perhaps more now?), by discounting and selling out stock and not burning any more, but, the downloads are available.

20. HARRY BROWNE

HARRY BROWNE Ensign Newbie

out of the ones I've seen

best to worst

Attack of the cybermen
    vengeance on varos
    the ultimate foe
    mark of the rani
    revelation of the daleks
    terror of the vervoids
    the mysterious planet
    the two doctors