Random Rewatch - this time, it's Season 5: "Powerplay"

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by Qonundrum, Jul 28, 2017.

1. Qonundrum

Qonundrum Vice Admiral Admiral

Brannon Braga always had a knack for some stellar high concept episodes. This one is no exception. Nice to see Herb Wright and Maurice Hurley doing work on the show again as well. True, body snatching and possession is older than sci-fi, but in this story it's used fairly well.

While not as heady as most TNG episodes, the occasional foray into action with some threat against known and regarded characters as opposed to a full-blown study is definitely one to be relished. Especially when it's not Picard taking center state as the fast action hero. I appreciated how he got into the hostage situation.

After seeing a number of DS9 episodes, it's only now obvious how O'Brien would end up getting some of the harshest and most gruesome treatment given a sci-fi character, especially when Keiko and Molly are involved. While this episode didn't strike me much in 1992, watching it recently really hit home how well-acted the scenes are, on top of the horror Keiko has to endure. That and being a "slow bloomer" in life, Asperger's, some of the interpersonal nuances didn't register. Some still don't but at least nowadays I can fathom a basic level.

Worf is fantastic as he stands up to the possessed Data, since he no doubt remembers when Lore pummeled him with ease.

Okay, how Riker's arm injury prevented one of the souls from invading his body yet Data could be controlled isn't explained.

Nice bit between Riker and Ro showing fallibility and off by a couple milliseconds.

Meaney, Sirtis, and Spiner all nail their possessed selves' roles with ease. Sirtis in particular is refreshing as a menacing character, ditto for the start of the episode when normal-Troi gets to be Troi and say something that isn't obvious.

The upscaled scenes don't look too bad, since this episode had the most amount of missing footage that was irretrievable and the actual scenes are in areas that aren't full of sharp looking equipment and set pieces, which helps a lot. That and, given how many reels of film existed and the number of scenes, the fact TNG had so few scenes overall missing is nothing less than a miracle... and testament to the organization of the makers some 30 years ago.

Lastly, Worf's line at the end about how great it is to die in defending one's ship is a classic Klingon line yet at the same time I burst out laughing, spilling my drink onto the carpet.

If anything, Picard tells Riker to look for an opportunity as plan B if plan A fails and he's still hostage. Picard, as hostage, then tells Riker over the comm about an opportunity with the cargo bay. I'm surprised the baddies didn't pick up on the obvious use of exaggerated inflection, it's reminiscent of Star Trek II when Spock spells out slowly to Kirk about their plan, with Khan somehow not picking up on the obvious "hours would seem like days" being told ever so stiltedly.

Powerplay gets a 7/10 with ease (TNG overall), for being in season 5 it's 9/10.