Spoilers Ralph Breaks The Internet Grading & Discussion

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Unicron, Nov 27, 2018.

?

Your Grade

1. A+

1 vote(s)
    12.5%
  2. A

3 vote(s)
    37.5%
  3. A-

1 vote(s)
    12.5%
  4. B+

1 vote(s)
    12.5%
  5. B

2 vote(s)
    25.0%
  6. B-

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. C+

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. C

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. C-

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. D+

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  11. D

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  12. D-

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  13. F

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Unicron

Unicron Boss Monster Mod Moderator

So I got to see the Wreck-It Ralph sequel today, and overall it's pretty good. It went in some interesting directions, and I'm glad the overall writing is consistent with the quality of the original film.

2. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

I'm really looking forward to seeing it but I haven't had the chance. I loved the first one.

3. Unicron

I think you'll like it. ;) Without giving too many details away, I think they did a nice job of shifting the spotlight onto Vanellope, if that description makes sense. The first movie is essentially Ralph's story and his desire to not be seen only as the "bad" guy, and in this film it's Vanellope who has to deal with the conflict between her desire to get Sugar Rush fixed and her dream of the better opportunities that exist online. There are some situations that come up which place a very great strain on her friendship with Ralph, but I think the conclusion of the film is very well done. And I think they kept the right amount of depth in their relationship, because that's part of what makes the relationships in the movies work.

One of the reasons the first movie works is that the script has strong writing, and that's mostly still true here. That goes a long way when you have the right cast to bring the characters to life. It's fair to say that some characters like Felix are more peripheral, but I think keeping the bulk of the focus on Ralph and Vanellope was the right choice.

Incidentally...
    the finale of the movie does a fun thing with the princesses, and the scene from the trailers where Ralph is playing the feeding game does occur. It's a post-credits sequence where the characters poke fun at it not being in the movie proper, but it wasn't forgotten. :D

4. May 20

May 20 Consumer of cookies and milk Premium Member

I'm glad you enjoyed it. :) I will see it eventually.

5. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

Good movie, fun and clever. I liked Slaughter Race a bit. As a whole it didn't resonate with me quite as much as the first one just because it's less specific in its focus.

6. Gryffindorian

Gryffindorian Vice Admiral Admiral

I enjoyed it too. The Disney nods (like the princesses and musical performance), as well as various Internet references, were a hoot! The strong theme of friendship between Ralph and Vanellope really touched my heart. This is the must see family movie to kick off the holiday season.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2018
  7. LJones41

LJones41 Commodore Commodore

That whole mess with Princess Tiana was pretty stupid on the producers' part.

8. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I saw it yesterday and really enjoyed it, I'd say it's just as good as the first.
    Loved most of the internet jokes.
    The stuff with the search bar was especially good.
    Ralph's viral videos were pretty good.
    Do not look at the comments is pretty much the #1 rule of posting things on the internet.
    it's pretty clear the people who made the movie really know their internet culture.
    I loved the stuff with the Disney Princesses, especially the role role they end up playing in the climax.
    Slaughter Race was a lot of fun, and Gal Gadot was great as Shank.
    I was kind of hoping for more Marvel stuff, but oh well.
    The focus on Ralph & Vanellope's relationship was nice.
    I liked how they worked Ralph's issues into a real physical threat.
    I was really surprised that Vanellope actually stayed in Slaughter Race, I was expecting something to happen to make her go back to Sugar Rush. It really did end with a nice message about friend needing let each other do their own thing.

9. Unicron

It was one of those things I was wondering about while the movie was building to the climax, as I couldn't tell which direction the writers might go in. It also raised something of an oddball question for me, but I haven't decided how valid it is within the context of the series. :D

10. The Nth Doctor

Saw it today and I really enjoyed it. While the sequel doesn't quite hit me as hard as the original, this one is a lot of fun and it's a great look into the relationship between Ralph and Vanellope. I particularly liked how the film didn't just reset to the status quo and allowed Vanellope to grow by staying with "Slaughter Race." However, while I enjoyed the heavy focus on Ralph and Vanellope, I was disappointed to see the limited roles for Felix and Calhoun. Maybe they'll get a larger focus in a possible sequel?

I loved the Disney Princesses scenes and I have to say they exceeded my expectations. I fully anticipated they would be just a one-off funny aside and that would be it, but instead they were a vital part of Vanellope's character arc and the nature of her friendship with Ralph. Plus, I loved the "Look! It's a big, strong man in need of rescuing!" Probably one of the best cinematic scenes of the year. :D

One thing did bother me: The crux of the first film is how Ralph's absence in "Fix It Felix" nearly caused the game to be unplugged and yet he and Vanellope were gone for more than 24 hours (they had that long to get the necessary funds plus all of the time before they actually won the auction) and somehow that wasn't a problem? Yeah, Felix vaguely said he would "cover for Ralph" but it's never made clear how he would be able to do that. Plus, wouldn't Vanellope's absence in "Sugar Rush" also cause a problem considering how popular she was? Not a big deal in the grand scheme of things, but that stood out to me glaringly.

Funny moment at the theater: After 20 minutes of trailers and Ralph Breaks the Internet actually began, a kid sitting two rows in front of me let out an exasperated "FINALLY!", followed by chuckles from the rest of us. :lol:

Loved Ralph's rickroll in the post credits and even more so how a few of the kids didn't get what just happened. "Where's the trailer?!"

11. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

Took my niece and it wasn't bad. It wasn't probably quite as charming as the first and the story is a bit bittersweet in Vanellope and Ralph's relations moving on as these things do. However, it was nice not to have a sequel that wasn't a retread of the original. There were more adults laughing heartily than the kids which could be a good or bad thing depending on your POV.

12. Unicron

That has to do with my oddball question. We're told in both movies that as long as a character is within their own game, they can reset from things like death and so forth because their code is associated with it. If they get into a bad situation elsewhere, they're in real trouble because they might die for real. We've also seen in both games that apparently characters embody their code physically, so to speak, so that if Ralph is not in his game then he's simply not there. And they can move outside of their home games freely, for the most part. I can see where it's a logical necessity for storytelling, but at the same time it raises the question that, realistically, the game engine should have a copy of all its code elements somewhere even if they're not easy to get to by other characters.

So if Ralph isn't around for some reason, they could access a backup copy of him that maybe isn't realistic in personality. Kind of like how the virus copies Ralph in the sequel. :D But I wondered about Vanellope's absence from Sugar Rush as well, for the same reasons.

13. JirinPanthosa

The previews that showed before the movie make me feel sorry for all the current parents who will be forced to sit through Uglydoll Marketing Exploitation Movie.

14. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Sugar Rush was broken, so nobody was playing it to notice her absence. That was also why Felix and Calhoun ended up with the other racers.
    EDIT: What the hell? Only half my post is coming up, but when I go to edit, the whole thing shows up.

15. The Nth Doctor

I meant at the end of the film.

16. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Ok, that actually is a good point.

17. JirinPanthosa

When Ralph questions her about that, she says "There are 15 other racers to choose from!"

She is a lot of the player's favorite because of her glitch, but we remember from the first film, not everybody gets to appear on the player selection screen, and they compete for the right to appear there, so players are used to different choices every time. If they realize Vanelope is never showing up they may figure it's just an old game that's degrading.

It's a good question how Felix covered for Ralph. Maybe a soldier character from the woman's game in a costume?

To be fair, I am looking forward to Lego Marketing Exploitation Movie Sequel, so it's not all bad.

It's a bit of a handwave how easy it is to add characters' code to other games so they can regenerate. Since, if it's that easy, why didn't it come up in the first movie?

Last edited: Dec 5, 2018
  18. Unicron

^ The fact that games from different eras would have different code is another issue too, as Ralph and Felix are stated to be an age consistent with their graphics (i.e. three decades older than, say, a web game like Slaughter Race). It would also seem that even though Turbo/Kandy was able to screw up a lot of the Sugar Rush code in the first game, he couldn't simply delete Vanellope and could only modify her to seem glitchy. If such an option had existed, he'd surely have used it.

19. USS Fardell

USS Fardell Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Ralph Breaks the Internet
    The sequel to Wreck it Ralph. Six years later, life in the Arcade seems to be idyllic, but Vanellope is bored. There is nothing new in Sugar Rush. Ralph does something to set the plot in motion... And Sugar Rush is unplugged! These early scenes are well written, showing that the various characters look out for each other more than the previous films. (There being a small crisis after the unplugging of Sugar Rush is believable.) Thus this sets in motion the main plot, getting a replacement part for Sugar Rush.
    But that isn't what the main plot is about. There are two intertwining threads, causing development in the main characters, Vanellope and Ralph. First; Vanellope. The boredness she shows earlier is important, indicating that she wants more than Sugar Rush offers her. Quite unexpectedly, she finds it, in an online game called Slaughter Race. But the progression this epiphany takes, via the Princess characters at the Oh My Disney website, is very well done. However, this affects the other plot thread, with Ralph...
    Ralph wants things to stay the way they are. He likes things the way they are. This may be a complete 180 from the previous film, but the problem he was facing then seemed to be resolved. However, his character traits as shown here, possessiveness, narcissism and obsession as seen after he finds out that Vanellope wants to stay in Slaughter Race, and amplified in his virus clones, don't come out of nowhere. They were present in his character from the beginning. Not just in his viral videos, but set up in the original film.
    The backstory for Fix it Felix Jr. implies that the building was built in a place where Ralph was staying, and his desire for the place is what motivates him to wreck it. However, the solution to the climatic problem was also well done. Most of the characters found on the internet were also well done, and the point Yesss makes to Ralph after he reads the comments was very on point. However, the obsessiveness of Ralph later is a bit much. 8/10.