"Quiet Night at the Office"

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by David cgc, Jul 14, 2010.

1. David cgc

David cgc Vice Admiral Premium Member

[​IMG]
    Enterprise: Dennis Bailey
    Drydock: Prologic9
    Travel Pod: Matthew Parker and Henry Gibbens
    Tug and Workbee: Alain Rivard
    Backdrop: NASA
    HD Version

I got another bite of the render bug the other day. I'm going to need that to start coming a bit more consistently again.

I originally visualized this angle with a Miranda-class ship, but I don't have a modern Miranda that'll hold up to this kind of proximity and detail. While I was assembling the scene, I found I'd already had one from soon after I did the night version of "Comparing Notes," but I hadn't been able to settle on a good angle. So I loaded in the old scene, aligned it to fit the picture in my head, added a bunch more spotlights, and rendered it.

I think this words much better as a night shot than the second version of "Comparing Notes" did. My initial inspiration for both shots, lighting and mood-wise was this photo of a cruise ship docked at night.

The background is from NASA's library of astronaut photos of Earth. It's actually a shot of the terminator. I desaturated it and then recolored it dark blue to represent a barely-visible nightside. Also, since I figured a night shot would require a longer exposure, I cranked up the motion blur well past 100%, so the various shuttlecraft that are buzzing around are barely-defined blurs.

2. Kaiser

Kaiser Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Very nice Render art :) :techman:

3. Ziz

Ziz Commodore Commodore

Now why can't real movie CG look like THAT! It's like they're afraid of the "Soften" filter to blend everything together.

4. David cgc

David cgc Vice Admiral Premium Member

Another site I posted it to generally agreed that I was a bit heavy on the grain, but I'm with you that it helps set the image together and take the CG edge off.

5. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

Sweet! :techman:

And I agree about the grain.