Question re: Trek book jacket art

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by osira231, Nov 24, 2008.

1. osira231

osira231 Ensign Newbie

As folks in these parts seem very knowledgable on all things Trek, I thought I'd post a question that's been hounding me for some time. I've managed to compile a fairly complete list of the artists who painted the covers of the Blish adaptations.

1. James Bama
    2 & 3. Photo covers
    4. Lou Feck
    5. M. Hooks
    6. Lou Feck
    8. Lou Feck
    10-12. Eddie Jones (as S. Fantoni)
    What I haven't been able to find is the name of the artist who did the cover for volume 7 or even a picture of the art without the obscuring type. The artist's initials seem to read "C.H.B." Beyond that, I have nothing...
    I haven't turned up the name of the artist who did volume 9's cover, either. Can anyone here help out with this?

tgiokdi likes this.
  2. Steve Roby

Steve Roby Rear Admiral Premium Member

Don't have my copies handy, but looking at my site, I'd say Star Trek 9 looks like it may be another Eddie Jones cover. No idea about Star Trek 7, though.

3. osira231

osira231 Ensign Newbie

Thanks for posting, Steve. I agree that the work looks very similar, but looking at volume nine's cover in direct comparision to say, eleven's, one can see a very definite difference in the approach to the saucer section, the ship's color, sensor array, and markings. That's not to say it's definitely not Eddie Jones' work, but if it is, his style is a flexible one.

Jones has a portfolio of his Star Trek paintings that I hope to get hold of. If the cover to volume 9 is in there, I'll certainly let everyone know!

Volume seven's cover is the one I'm most curious about, I must admit... Who is this mysterious "C.H.B." character...? Does anyone know who edited the Blish adaptions? I wonder if writing to the publisher would yield some answer. Bantam is currently owned by Random House, isn't it?

4. KRAD

KRAD Keith R.A. DeCandido Admiral

Yeah, but the likelihood that they have contracts from the 1970s around (which was, after all, several mergers ago) is infinitesmal.

5. osira231

osira231 Ensign Newbie

I was picturing it as being lucky enough to talk to an afficiando at the company with a deep understanding and appreciation for the publishing house's history who would just happen to know where to look...

Ah, I'm livin' in a fantasy-world, ain't I...? :)

6. William Leisner

William Leisner Scribbler Rear Admiral

I think you passed fantasy-world about twenty miles back...

7. emaples

emaples Cadet Newbie

I found this topic years ago when I was trying to find the same information. I started at the artist's monograph for volume 7 for ages, and researched enough tangential information that I discovered the word monograph! Eventually I squinted hard enough at the highest resolution image I could find and convinced myself either that the top portion of the left character was shorter than the bottom, ot the bottom portion had a slight hook at the end.

So I tried searching on JHB and EUREKA!!! J. H. Breslow, born 1957! Examples of his other cover art are here:
    http://www.isfdb.org/cgi-bin/ea.cgi?147417
    http://www.fowlervillehistory.org/andrenorton/cover_artists/j-h-breslow/

Now if we can just find an image of just the artwork my life will be that much more complete. While looking for it I discovered that some people don't care for that cover, but I really like the composition. Apollo in bronze, with an olive tree, Greek columns, the planet, and the trapped Enterprise. It's one of the few covers for the series episode novelizations that actually evokes a specific episode.

Indysolo, Tim Thomason and DrCorby like this.
  8. emaples

emaples Cadet Newbie

Okay, I can't find a way to edit my post and didn't get a response from "Contact Us". So I'll make revisions here:

The second sentence should have read, "I stared at the artist's monogram for volume 7 for ages, and researched enough tangential information that I discovered the word monogram!"

Everything else is fine. Thanks!

9. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

Frederik Pohl.

10. Stevil2001

Stevil2001 Vice Admiral Admiral

You have to have made a certain number of posts before you unlock the edit function.

11. emaples

emaples Cadet Newbie

Aha! Thanks for the information!