Question about "In A Mirror, Darkly"

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Enterprise' started by digger, Jun 3, 2008.

1. digger

digger Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I've been showing my wife all of Trek in order, and, after nearly three years, we are almost done. Our next episode is the "In A Mirror, Darkly" (IAMD) two-parter.

She is not as familiar with previous Trek as I am, having only seen each episode once. Though I've seen Enterprise episodes only two times each, all the other series episodes I have seen numerous times.

I forget the exact plot line for IAMD, though I do remember it had something to do with the Defiant from TOS: "The Tholian Web" (TTW).

Would it ruin anything if I told my wife to read the episode summary of TTW before watching IAMD? What I mean is, is it a big suprise in IAMD that the ship is the Defiant from TTW, or is that information that we learn early in the episode?

I want to make sure she isn't lost in the episode, but I also don't want to ruin anything that might come as a big suprise. Obviosuly, if I tell her to read the TTW summary and then one of the big questions thoughout IAMD is "what ship is this," she's going to know right from the get go.

Thanks for your help,
    mike.

2. Zachary Smith

Zachary Smith Vice Admiral Admiral

Erm . . why not actually WATCH "The Tholian Web" first? It's a very fine episode.

3. Pheon

Pheon Commander Red Shirt

I'd say it wouldn't really matter too much. I think pretty much everyone already knew the Defiant was going to make an appearance in the episode before it first aired.

But as Zachary Smith said, why not watch 'The Tholian Web' first, as opposed to just reading up on it. :)

4. digger

digger Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Zach and Pheon--She has seen TTW, but that was close to three years ago, when we first began going through all of Trek. Considering she's not as big of a Trek nerd as I am and hasn't seen every episode dozens of times, I'm concerned she won't remember the whole plot of TTW, which is why I might have her read the summary, just to familiarize herself with the prior episode's plot line.

Thanks for your thoughts.

5. pookha

pookha Admiral Admiral

even if she sees tholian web i dont think it will ruin to much unless she sees it soon afterward.

it is toward the end of the first episode you see defiant but you know early on there are going to see something odd that the tholians have.

6. Anna Yolei

Anna Yolei Vice Admiral Admiral

As someone who had no Trek experience coming into this show and still has next to none from TOS, not knowing the details about the Tholian Web episode did nothing to marr my viewing or enjoyment of the episode.

7. ALF

ALF Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Totally. In fact, it might be more interesting to watch the Tholian Web afterwards to see how it connects to IAMD.

8. Jen

Jen Vice Admiral Admiral

The Tholian Web is one of the few TOS episodes I have never seen. That did nothing to lessen my absolute love of IAMD 1&2.