question about aeroshuttle

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Voyager' started by Shran, Jan 16, 2018.

1. Shran

Shran Cadet Newbie

I heard that on board of the starship Voyager was this unique aeroshuttle which can used for the short missions in the planet atmosphere.

Strange why they are never used this shuttle for the away missions?

[​IMG]

You can see this shuttle on exterior of U.S.S. Voyager:

[​IMG]
    I heard that all Intrepid class starships had this shuttle. Why crew of U.S.S. Voyager do not used this shuttle, why they're have created Delta flyer if their ship had this awesome shuttle?

2. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

I suspect it was a creation of the art department, and the guys writing the stories may not have even known it existed.

It's on the same cutaway diagram that has two warp cores and two computer cores on Voyager, when the stories themselves established the ship only had one of each.

3. DS9forever

DS9forever Commodore Commodore

I remember the designer commenting that it resembled a runabout from DS9 so they could use the same sets. Presumably the Voyager crew cannibalized it early on their journey home.

4. Scout101

Scout101 Admiral Admiral

had to make all those extra shuttles out of SOMETHING ;)

Bry_Sinclair likes this.
  5. Matthew Raymond

Matthew Raymond Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Did they recycle all the wrecked shuttles into photon torpedoes? ;)

6. saladdays

saladdays Captain Captain

They didn't even have to build the Delta Flyer if they had just kept it!

Mr. Laser Beam likes this.
  7. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

The same reason we never saw the Captain's yachet in TNG (Though they did think about using it in TNG "Samaritain Snare" I think when Picard goes for his artifical heart replacement op.)

But it was one of those missed opportunites, I suppose it might not have been installed yet and was going to be installed when VOY got back from the badlands.

8. Bry_Sinclair

Bry_Sinclair Vice Admiral Admiral

It wouldn't be installed until Tuesday.

9. Matthew Raymond

Matthew Raymond Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Perhaps they should have named the show "Star Trek: The Longest Monday"...

EDIT: Now that I think about it, using the Aeroshuttle would have solved most of the problems with the shuttlebays being too small.

10. Timo

Timo Fleet Admiral Admiral

There's no onscreen reason to believe Picard had a Captain's Yacht on the E-D, and indeed several reasons to disbelieve in such. Heck, the ship didn't even have anything resembling a yacht anywhere - the nondescript bump at the bottom of the saucer was conclusively shown not to be a Yacht of any sort in "Encounter at Farpoint" already.

There's only slightly more evidence for an Aeroshuttle on the Voyager - the odd shape has the ship's registry duplicated in small font, after all, rather suggesting a separable object that is auxiliary to the mothership. But for all we know, it's a subspace relay they never found an excuse for deploying.

I'm the most comfortable with the obvious rationalization, tho: Janeway embarked on her supposed quick in-and-out mission right off the launch of the vessel, as per "Relativity", and might have left lots of gear ashore. If not the entire Aeroshuttle, then at least its engines and steering thrusters and comfy chairs.

Timo Saloniemi

11. Galileo7

Galileo7 Commodore Commodore

12. Catarina

Catarina Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I beg to differ. The flyer was updated, infused with borg tech and sleak for maneuvering. And frankly more attractive to satisfy mine and Paris eye for artistic detail, lol.

13. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

Although, that got corrected on the Blu-ray.