Pushing Daisies - tomorrow

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Velocity, Jun 13, 2009.

1. Velocity

Velocity Vice Admiral Admiral

Pushing Daisies episode "Kerplunk" airs tomorrow (Saturday)

2. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

And this is the series finale, alas.

3. Lindley

Lindley Moderator with a Soul Premium Member

I thought they had three episodes to burn. Isn't this just the second one?

4. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

Nope this is the third. :(

5. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

I kept forgetting to start a thread to see if people had actually remembered these were airing. I missed the first twenty minutes of the first episode myself because AICN said it came on at 9 and it was really 10 and I was too stupid to check another source. So who the hell were the two old men that Olive was with and why were they pretending that she was married to Ned?

6. Lindley

Lindley Moderator with a Soul Premium Member

^Two car thieves who (when Olive was a child) stole a car that she was hiding in, and then got arrested for "kidnapping" her when they tried to take her back. The whole thing was pretty much the highlight of Young Olive's life, and she kept in touch with them....including exaggerating certain things.

I must have missed a week. It'll be on my DVR I guess.

7. Capt_Piett

Capt_Piett Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Anyone know how the 3 did in ratings?

8. Professor Zoom

Professor Zoom Admiral Admiral

Unless it was the most watched show in history...I don't think even ABC would care...

...sadly, the show is done and done.

9. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

Well the final episode was pretty good. Would have been nice if Emerson was fully reunited with his daughter. And some part of me thinks they should have had Ned and Chuck touch and she dies, just to fulfill that danger. But that his desperation leads him to unlock a new power that brings her back or something like that.

10. exodus

exodus Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'm still buying the series on DVD.

A short lived series doesn't always mean bad.
    It was to unique for the masses but it's something I will cherish for years to come.

11. Christopher

Well, considering that this was never intended to be the series finale, just a fairly routine mid-season episode, there was no way they could've included anything of the sort. Once the show was cancelled, all they could do to give the episode a bit of closure was to tack on a brief ending sequence assembled from stock footage, CGI, and new voiceovers. So they couldn't actually show us Emerson meeting his daughter -- they could only dub the voice of his daughter over stock footage of Emerson in his office reacting to a knock on the door. And so on.

12. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

That's interesting, I thought they knew that the last episode was the last-last one. In that case they did a great job with what they were given.

13. Christopher

Oh, not even close.

http://scifiwire.com/2009/05/bryan-fuller-how-pushing.php

14. Me-Ike

Me-Ike Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

^ Aw, to think of all those things we missed. :(
    Comic books just aren't the same.

I'm really grateful they managed to give us those last thirty seconds, but the brevity of it and the possible stories we've thus missed made me curse the cancelation even more.

15. Temis the Vorta

I figure the Ned's father story introduces the idea that Ned's father has the same power as Ned. When Ned accidentally touches Chuck and kills her, daddy can touch her and bring her back, sans the restrictions on Chuck. The End.

So are the comics going to finish the story? I'm wondering if that theory is right.

16. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

So will Ned along with his neat power appear on Heroes next season? :)

17. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

That's a good idea Temis. Ned and Chuck accidentally touch and she dies, but the dad then ressurects her and HE can never touch her but Ned can!

18. Agent Richard07

Agent Richard07 Admiral Admiral

I stopped watching the show half an hour into this season's premiere, but tuned back in to see the last episode. I was hoping they'd have time to reshoot part of the episode to give the series a propper wrap-up. I was also hoping that part fo that would include Ned being able to touch Chuck. Didn't happen and I was disappointed. Of course, reading this thread, I see that they didn't have time to wrap it up. Oh well.

As for the dad theory, I thought of something similar last year. I figured that it would be nice if someone else with Ned's power came along and resurrected Chuck after Ned touches her, lifting the no-touch rule from Ned. Don't know what that would have done to the show though. They'd have to find a new gimmick.

19. Temis the Vorta

I dunno about Ned, but Lee Pace would be welcome. Hopefully cast way against type, as a bad guy. ;)

I think other folks around here came up with the idea that Ned's power is inherited (and that he might have resurrected Ned himself as a child, maybe after some accident that Ned has blanked out on, which explains why he "abandoned" Ned, and why he rescued Ned from the cliff with a gloved hand).

The whole theory fits the need to resolve the problem with a non-cheat, yet still have a happy ending. I wonder if there are other ways of accomplishing the same thing, but since Ned's father was being brought into the story, I think his purpose is to be the dilemma-resolver.

20. Agent Richard07

Agent Richard07 Admiral Admiral

Someone once suggested that maybe Ned's "curse" wears off after a while. At the end of the show after a long run, he'd touch Chuck and she wouldn't die.