Spoilers PRM: Feuer gegen Feuer / Fire with Fire by Bernd Perplies & Christian Humberg Review Thread

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by Defcon, Jul 17, 2016.

?

Rate Prometheus: Feuer gegen Feuer / Fire With Fire

1. Outstanding

12 vote(s)
    52.2%
  2. Above Average

7 vote(s)
    30.4%
  3. Average

1 vote(s)
    4.3%
  4. Below Average

2 vote(s)
    8.7%
  5. Poor

1 vote(s)
    4.3%
  1. Defcon

Defcon Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

STAR TREK - PROMETHEUS

Fire with Fire
    Bernd Perplies & Christian Humberg
    November 28th 2017
    Titan Books
    Translation of German novel by Cross Cult

[​IMG]

Blurb
    A mysterious terrorist organization has carried out several attacks against the Federation and Klingon Empire. Tensions are running high in a region already crippled by conflict. The perpetrators are tracked to the Lembatta Cluster, a mysterious region of space whose inhabitants, the Renao, regard the the Alpha Quadrant’s powers as little more than conquering tyrants. The Federation are desperate to prevent more bloodshed, and have sent their flagship, the U.S.S. Prometheus, into the Cluster to investigate the threat before all-consuming war breaks out.

German cover:

[​IMG]

German Blurb :

Nahe der Grenze zum Klingonischen Reich ereignen sich mehrere brutale Terroranschläge, die Tausende von Toten fordern.
    Wer steckt hinter den Angriffen? Sind es Fanatiker aus dem fremdartigen Volk der Renao, das im benachbarten Lembatta-Cluster siedelt? Oder hat der zwielichtige Typhon-Pakt seine Finger im Spiel? Die Sternenflotte entsendet die U.S.S. Prometheus, ihr kampfstärkstes Schiff, in die Grenzregion, um das Rätsel zu lösen, bevor der nächste Krieg in der Galaxis ausbricht.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2017
    Markonian likes this.
  2. Avro Arrow

Avro Arrow Vice Admiral Moderator

I didn't realize this before, but interestingly, it looks like the cover image uses the original number shown on the hull in the episode (from what we can see, anyway), whereas the promo image that Bernd Perplies had posted in the other thread had replaced it with the updated number that Okuda had used on the plaque and MSD.

3. Defcon

To be honest, it could be that I used an old version, as I had this in my image folder on my PC already, and uploaded it from there to my photobucket.

ETA: I checked, the version I posted is the one they use at their official site as well, that doesn't mean that the actual book won't have a slightly altered cover, though. :shrug:

https://www.cross-cult.de/titel/star-trek-prometheus-1.1153.html

Last edited: Jul 18, 2016
    Markonian likes this.
  4. Markonian

Markonian Fleet Admiral Moderator

Let's what the novel's text says about the registry.

Fun facts: Latest appearance till now was taking part in a battle against the Borg in 2381. Latest appearance overall is, in the STO timeline, at the Battle of Procyon V.

Therin of Andor likes this.
  5. Jinn

Jinn Mistress of the Chaotic Energies Rear Admiral

They also still have the wrong version of The Fall #1 on their website.

6. Avro Arrow

Avro Arrow Vice Admiral Moderator

Sorry, I wasn't trying to imply it was the wrong version or anything... I suspect that is actually the final cover.

In the post where he linked to the artwork, Bernd Perplies mentioned that the cover artist "took the chance to create his version of the Prometheus". So I'm guessing that promo artwork used a new model, whereas perhaps the cover used an existing model, maybe provided by CBS or something? (ETA: Or Tobias Richter? Bernd has an image of Prometheus on his website, showing the original hull registry, created by The Light Works.) IIRC, the cover was produced well before the promo artwork.

All three covers show the ship at an angle that mostly obscures the registry, so generally you can't even tell the difference. In Book 1, though, you can see the first digit, and it's enough that you can tell it's a '5', not a '7'. :)

Also ETA: it was just a note of interest, not really a big deal. It's just a number; I'm sure it will not affect the story one bit! :D

Last edited: Jul 19, 2016
  7. Bernd Perplies

Bernd Perplies Writer Red Shirt

Just as a clarification. During the production of the books the same thing happened that happened during the making of "Message in a bottle". Christian and I used the 7xxxx registry, since it is the one most fans consider "the correct one". However Tobias modeled his CGI ship using TV references, so he went with the 5xxxx registry. So we suddenly had both versions. Cross Cult wanted to match them, and since it is more easy to change a few letters than a cover illustration, they chose to use the 5xxxx registry. Martin Frei's promo image however exist in both versions. But I can only repeat what has been said above "It's just a number". :)

8. fancealot

fancealot Ensign Newbie

Ah i'm not too fussed about the registry on the cover art, I just want the English translation - can't wait for this, something different from trek lit!!

Jinn likes this.
  9. Jarvisimo

Jarvisimo Captain Captain

Indeed, excited for the translations - which will be late in the year?

10. Jinn

If they wanted they could probably release it simultaniously with the German releases as there already is an English translation.

11. Bernd Perplies

Bernd Perplies Writer Red Shirt

That is true, there is an English translation. However it still has to be polished by a professional editor who is a native speaker and a real Trek veteran. We found someone who is perfect for this job. And as soon as I am allowed to tell you who it is, I will do so. ;) So, no, we can't release the books simultaniously. "Late in the year" is still correct.

12. Csalem

Csalem Commodore Commodore

I am happy we are getting it in English at all and am prepared to wait to get it. Hopefully these books do well and become a regular thing. A Prometheus book or two every year would be a nice bonus.

Avro Arrow and Jinn like this.
  13. Defcon

The eBook version (at least Kindle, don't know about the other formats) is available now. It downloaded to my Kindle tonight.

14. Paris

Paris Commodore Commodore

Sounds like @KRAD...

Jinn likes this.
  15. Jinn

We can only hope.

16. Jinn

Already a mentioning of sector 221-G in chaper 1. Great!
    Unforntunately I currently can't read the full book as I'm waiting for the print version and still have The Fall: #3-5, Sacraments of Fire, Lust's Latinum Lost (and Found), Absent Enemies and The Light Fantastic to read before Prometheus #1. Reading 5 novels in one weekend might be a little much...
    But from what I can tell by looking at the chapter headlines with the apple ebook app it seems to have a really precise timeline which could also help to more specifically define the timeframe of Takedown and The Missing (and all the other stuff going on in november 2385).

Idran likes this.
  17. Defcon

Not a good sign. I have only read the first paragraph yet and already had to groan at the cliché-laden prose. :rolleyes:

Hope that it improves...

18. Jinn

I'd count that as "atmosphere" and it seems to get better in the second section. Though there is a reference to the Warp-Speed Classic Vaudeville Company from Enterprise: The First Adventure. I have no idea how to reconcile this. Ah to hell with it, I'll just move Prometheus to the 80s continuity along with No Time Like the Past :D

David cgc likes this.
  19. Defcon

It improves, but I think it was totally unnecessary to try to shoehorn large parts of the Star Trek opening monologue into the narrative. :shrug:

20. DS9forever

DS9forever Commodore Commodore

Is Sarita Carson from DS9: Starship Down in the novel?