Post a Random Fact About Yourself

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Sibyl, Apr 29, 2019.

1. There Be Whales Here

There Be Whales Here Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

They certainly do exist.
    [​IMG]

Available on the shelf at my local Publix. You obviously live outside the states, but this picture came from the Amazon website, so I hazard to guess you could purchase them there. They are delicious.

2. oberth

oberth Commodore Commodore

my location says (new) berlin which is
    • the berlin that doesn't need sth like , kansas attached
    • an ini joke on my landlord who advertises under das neue berlin (the new berlin)
    • a more than obvious star trek thing

Westie1701 likes this.
  3. There Be Whales Here

There Be Whales Here Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

My bad...there goes that perfect score for me in Trek Trivia :lol:. Well, that might make it easier for you to find the product in a brick & mortar store depending upon how it's distributed. Like I said, they've been available at Publix for years now and if memory serves (and at my age sometimes it always doesn't :(), I've also seen them at Target. Since some of those pictures on the Google image page also were from Walmart, I would think they might be found there too; although I'd sooner have a root canal without Novocain while lying on a bed of hot coals and listening to Justin Beiber before I set foot in that evil empire.

Commander Troi and Westie1701 like this.
  4. oberth

the berlin without a state attached is the real one aka the one in germany

Westie1701 likes this.
  5. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

I love Berlin. Had a great time touring the Olympiadstadion when I was in Germany a few years ago.

Although (and no disrespect to Berliners is intended) I kind of liked Munich better. Not just because of the Oktoberfest. Although that was indeed part of it. :lol:

srsly, Berlin is a fine city as well, I love both, can't wait to go back.

Only sad part is I will never set foot in Tegel Airport again (now that it's shut down). You HAVE to love any airport where every gate had its own checkin desk, security line, and baggage claim...

6. oberth

it won't be torn down - do you know how it came into being?

Westie1701 likes this.
  7. Commander Troi

Commander Troi Now 20% less crazy! Premium Member

For the record:
    • I *LOVE* black licorice, as well as anise, so I will happily drink Ouzo and Sambuca.
    • I used to like candy corn, but I haven't had it in years, so I don't know if I still do.
    • I hate pickles with the heat of a thousand suns.
    • I like beets and carrots, so I might like the juices, but haven't tried them on their own.
    • I hate sauerkraut even more than I hate pickles.
    • I also hate cabbage, which seemed to be part of every Polish dish my grandfather made.
    • I like asparagus.
    OK, I'm completely blank on this. Do I need to turn in my geek card?

Gary Mitchell and Westie1701 like this.
  8. Mr. Laser Beam

Last edited: Nov 25, 2021
    Commander Troi, Westie1701 and oberth like this.
  9. Westie1701

Westie1701 Captain Captain

You don't like pickles ?!?!

I don't think we can be friends anymore... :p

Happy Thanksgiving, everyone !

Commander Troi likes this.
  10. Mistral

Mistral Vice Admiral Admiral

In 2000 I got mugged by 8 guys. They broke a beer bottle in my teeth, kicked me over and over after striking the back of my head with a fist full of rings.Stabbed me in the left lung with the broken bottle and broke my sternum.

Westie1701 likes this.
  11. Foxhot

Foxhot Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The shooter in question from my post has been dead for some time. He never left prison. Out of respect for his wife, there's no need to identify him.

12. Foxhot

My less painful version in 1989 had at least five ''men'' and ended with no serious injuries. The head-kick had thankfully little effect. I decided to adopt Graham Chapman's ''run away'' tactic, which did the trick. This was my very first 12 am outside local jaunt and that lesson was not lost on me. Never had issues at 4 or 5 am afterwards, though there are exceptions to every rule.
    I probably could have pressed charges against the local beer guzzlers, but decided to let it go. Three years before in the daytime, my father prevented a teenager from crossing his lawn, which was fenced. After Dad went to work, a few hours later at night somebody fired a bullet into the open living room window while I was next to it. (Not the only time I was involved after the actions of relatives.)
    So that's one reason to let certain things go. And two could reasons to outlaw night itself to discourage criminal acts and assaults, if that were possible.

Westie1701 likes this.
  13. oberth

i didn't ask for him to be named - i meant sombebody needs to know him already

14. Westie1701

Sweet Jesus on the cross, Foxhot ! That gives a layer to "Get off my lawn" that I didn't think existed - I glad you didn't get shot !

My random fact for today is someone tried to mug me once - big guy, maybe six-two, 180 pounds - and I actually fought back...

I guess you never know what you'd do in a situation like that until it happens - I always thought that at just five-four and maybe a buck-ten soaking wet I would have "run away quickly" as in Monty Python, but I pulled back on the purse he was trying to take and started swinging my arms and screaming like an absolute lunatic, and he ran away.

To this day I'm grateful that it ended as it did, and not in the hospital or the morgue.

Commander Troi and Foxhot like this.
  15. Mr. Laser Beam

ON THE TWELFTH DAY OF CHRISTMAS
    THE MIDWEST GAVE TO ME

12 random seasons
    11 unfixed potholes
    10 bottles of ranch
    9 tornado sirens
    8 runaway cattle
    7 "You, betcha"s
    6 games of bags
    5 "Ope, sorry"s
    4 big storms
    3 "Welp, alright"s
    2 finger waves
    AND A THIRTY MINUTE DOORWAY GOODBYE!

16. Velocity

Velocity Vice Admiral Admiral

Ha! I'm from the Midwest, and I recognize those. Could have added "being stuck behind farm machinery for hours" too.

17. dupersuper

dupersuper Commodore Commodore

I have a friend who wants to like pickles because they look and sound great to him when he sees others eat them, so once in a while he'll try one just to verify he still hates them.

18. Foxhot

Yes. I suppose no matter what you do or don't, the ones who began the crap will always think it's your fault. Good thing that never happens on message boards.:guffaw:

That shooting----most likely a BB, as we never verified the make----reminded me of two other occurrences, one later, one earlier. In the later one, at night, I believe a disgruntled pluckwad fired another shot in the air 100 feet away as a possible warning for us to behave ourselves....or my mentally ill brother in particular. Just my suspicion, no proof.

And the earlier one, again at night, probably back around 1982ish, I was recording and editing the TV commercials out of Langella's DRACULA when a egg smacked rather hard against the living room window. My reaction at that moment was almost identical to the BB! From now on, close the damn LR windows. All for the best.

Then there was that massive egg attack at night naturally in the backyard in 1995. Luckily we were never toilet-papered, but it was a petty retaliation for my brother's retaliation for getting smacked in the back of the head by another high-quality individual in the daytime. All stupid, and all random at first, but it sets up a moronic chain.

Westie1701 likes this.
  19. Westie1701

You've had some, um... interesting adventures. Foxhot - happily things have calmed down for you !

And +1 for Langella's Dracula - great movie :techman:

I won the drop-an-egg-off-the-roof contest/experiment in the 8th grade with Jello made with only 1/3 the normal amount of water, the styrofoam that came with my sister's new blow dryer, and ratchet straps we used to put up tarps when camping...

I won a gift certificate to McDonald's for five bucks !

20. Foxhot

Not yesterday, sad to say. The exact moment my restaurant order finally became available after 15 minutes of drive-in customers getting instant service, a total stranger accosted me for disrespect and rudeness. He obviously didn't understand the seven ''no, thank you''s I gave him. I had to eat outside in the cold to make sure he wasn't trailing me. Thanks, mister.

Still, I've been watching my James Bond blu-rays two films per day, so I try to keep things in proper perspective. At least it never got physical, and I don't yet groan like Pierce Brosnan. These events I keep bringing up are mostly random, but this latest was pathetically familiar: he began the crap and made it my fault. So up his butt with whatever best rhymes.