Definite New Series/Limited Series with Patrick Stewart Returning

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Picard' started by MvRojo, Jun 19, 2018.

1. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Vice Admiral Admiral

See that? They needed the great Patrick Stewart to lift up the wooden uselessness of Mark W. ;)

Grendelsbayne likes this.
  2. rhllot

rhllot Captain Captain

I would like to see an admiral picard in 2404

Philip Guyott likes this.
  3. Khan 2.0

Khan 2.0 Commodore Commodore

overall it feels like we are going to be getting something like the 90s Marvel Trek era but live action :)

4. SpocksOddSocks

SpocksOddSocks Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Whilst Wesley was never a great character, Wil is great in TBBT. I would definitely like to see him back in Trek, if only for reference to it in Bang.

Perhaps we could get some of his adventures with the traveller. It could be great, it could be crap. But I'd definitely watch it.

5. rhllot

rhllot Captain Captain

I do not remember well but Wesley does not become a being who transcending the humanity something similar to a Q?

6. SpocksOddSocks

It's kind of implied that this might be a possibility in the future, but it certainly didn't happen on screen. There's a scene where the traveller takes him to "another plane", but that's not how the episode ended.

It was in Journey's End that he stayed behind on the former Federation colony with the traveller. He's not seen again after that apart from the brief cameo at the wedding in Nemesis (In Starfleet dress uniform at that...)

7. 2takesfrakes

2takesfrakes Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

You're probably right about that. I'm not really into comic books or comic book heroes, because I hate the garish, flamboyant suits they're made to wear, the block after block pattern presentation is awkward for me -- it's hard to know what to look at, sometimes!) and the writing that I've seen is pure shite. But there are exceptions:
    Ang Lee's THE HULK (other Hulks are just "OK." Hulk is really the only superhero I like. The Seventies Hulk show was pretty awkward. "David" Hulks out and throws a sofa made of balsa wood across the room, flexes and growls then runs off and that's kind of ... it. Otherwise standard TV fare, really, from back in the day)

HELLBOY (only because of Selma Blair, who was exceptionally beautiful in her day and just a joy to watch. It had the fish guy from The Shape of Water in it, too!)

Toby McGuire's SPIDERMAN (very charming series. I've seen the rebooted Spidermans up to a point but don't really measure up to Toby's)

SUPERMAN RETURNS (and a couple Reeve movies which were, to put it charitably, really cheesy. Hated Lex and Otis, who just ran the clock with their pointless stupidity)

BATMAN RETURNS (and other Batmans, including the reboots and they all failed to measure up to BR artistically and thematically)

Otherwise, I don't know what an X-Man is. I do know that Wolverine in the movies doesn't dress like the one in the comcibooks who wears a hooded mask that kind of reminds of Batman. I don't understand the significance of the knuckle knives and have no idea what his other powers are or what his team is, or anything like that) From what I've seen, Sir Patrick Stewart's character is wheelchair bound and, I guess, kind of their leader. If this brought him mass appeal somehow, surprise the shit out of me! The whole thing just seemed like more of the same, comicbook movie-wise to me. A bunch of people wearing rubber diving suits and funny masks flying around a maelstrom of bad CGI. And even then, though, wasn't that like ... years ago? Anyway, it's kind of hard to believe that kids would want to be the wheelchair-bound old guy, cosplaying as the X-Men.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2018
  8. SpocksOddSocks

I know I'm off topic, but I have an amusing (well, I think so) story related to this. A former colleague of mine once told me her son had gone out with a group of friends dressed as the X-Men, and he was Wolverine. But this is the UK, and apparently there were lots of middle aged women who thought he looked rather cute as Bananaman: (link provided, as I bet the are many here not aware of the character).

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bananaman

jaime, Philip Guyott and Jayson1 like this.
  9. Danlav05

Danlav05 Commodore Commodore

If I may respectfully disagree - TNG is still a well-known brand, nostalgia for the 90s is hot right now and Picard is a meme. I live in England where it seems to be more popular than TOS.

The comics have recently launched a trilogy of Mirror Universe TNG stories from which they're sprung merchandise, they seem to be doing well. DS9, VOY and ENT seem to be the brands they can't sell.

The novels I kind of count out because they've done all sorts for all series, but the Excalibur-A, Challenger and Robinson are all Galaxy-class, widely recognised for the Enterprise-D which people would recognise on covers.

I like TOS but I'm bored of the 23rd Century. Don't get me wrong, I like Discovery; ST09 and Beyond were amazing, but TNG onwards provided so much rich material to draw on - if you don't want to do TNG the Reunion you could go 20-30 years into the future and do a wholly original show.

jaime and Four Lights like this.
  10. 2takesfrakes

2takesfrakes Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

As I say, I LOVE The Next Generation and consider it the best STAR TREK series ever made. But I'm not really that big on nostalgia, myself. As long as TNG continues to be available for sale exactly as it was televised, that's enough nostalgia for my tastes. And if "they" never reboot TNG, I'll be happier, still. You can't improve on what's already the best there is. TOS was hammy, cheesy and corny ... a meal in itself, when put quite that way. Rebooting it makes perfect sense, as the product was heavily flawed. But like anything that's bad for you in life, it turned out to actually be pretty good. It tried its damndest to entertain and it took itself seriously, despite its budgetary shortcomings.

But when the franchise decided to move on, rather than reboot, an amazing thing happened: TNG was good. It was damn good. It enjoyed the highest ratings of all and unlike TOS, the cast really cliqued. It had its day and it was glorious. And the point to all of this rambling is ... I wouldn't ever want to cheapen that. I wouldn't want to subtract from that epic legacy TNG has by dragging the aged and aging cast back for more Space Heroes derring-do. I don't want to live in the Glory Days ... just remember them. I've climbed that mountain, I want to climb the next one. I want to look ahead at what's on the horizon and not know what it's going to be, yet. Nostalgia's alright in the sense of being able to look at something crop up and say, "wow! Hey! You know what ... I remember that!" It's very sweet to have that moment. I simply don't want to live in it ...

Last edited: Jun 25, 2018
    jaime, Seb_O_91, Vger23 and 1 other person like this.
  11. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

I think you miss the appeal.

Grendelsbayne likes this.
  12. Philip Guyott

Philip Guyott Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Could not agree more. TNG is more watched in the UK than TOS ever was by my generation. The only way I was able to see TOS was on DVD. But TNG seemed like it was on TV every night. Even today it is one of the most watched shows on UK version of Netflix.

13. Danlav05

Danlav05 Commodore Commodore

It was on BBC2 and Sky One, then repeated on the latter. SciFi, CBS Action....

I was born the day TNG starterd in America and grew up watching it!!

You know I wonder if this happens Jonathan Frakes will be tapped as a director!?! He's part of the 'current team' if you like.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2018
  14. SpocksOddSocks

Ah, the days of Star Trek on the beeb. I used to love looking through the TV guide to find there was an episode of TOS on today (joy). Only to be disappointed with the small print underneath...

"Except Yorkshire and Humber" (and perhaps Tyne Tees as well, can't remember entirely) - where we were subjected to the Super League Show instead:wah:

Philip Guyott, Danlav05 and cultcross like this.
  15. Four Lights

Four Lights Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

TNG at its peak I think got about 8m viewers in the UK, which was excellent as it was not on in prime time on a main channel - Wednesday 6pm BBC2 - With a British captain (to all intents and purposes) and some pretty meaningful, touching and well told stories it was really becoming something of a mainstream phenoma at one point. If somehow they managed to retain the vibe of it in this new series, I imagine it could prove pretty successful in Britain.

jaime, Philip Guyott and Danlav05 like this.
  16. Jayson1

Jayson1 Fleet Admiral Admiral

I think Frakes actually might be a good choice as a Producer. Maybe not a showrunner but they I think would bring value with his Trek experience and the fact that he has directed outside of Trek.

Jason

jaime and Vger23 like this.
  17. Vger23

Vger23 Vice Admiral Admiral

You know...he has enough television experience where I'd tend to agree. He's never been on the writing side, though....and that's probably a big requirement.

18. Philip Guyott

Philip Guyott Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I have an idea. The Picard series would be so popular over here that us Brits would be able to pay for entire cost of making the new series through are Netflix subscriptions and then all our friends in the US can watch it for free. :beer:

Four Lights likes this.
  19. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

Insurrection II: Musical Episode.

20. Seb_O_91

Seb_O_91 Lieutenant Red Shirt

Great post! :)

I agree that Star Trek has always been at its best when it's moved forward and not been stuck in the past. That being said, it would be great if the TNG era ends up gets a better send-off than Nemesis. My ultimate hope is that the Picard/TNG miniseries paves the way for a new series with a new ship and crew set afterwards. I wouldn't be averse to some guest spots in a new series though, like Doohan and Nimoy in TNG.

Ultimately, the main positive I'm taking from this news is that the powers that be seem to be open to doing something which isn't set in Trek's past. Don't get me wrong, I'm a massive TOS fan but the movies left me a bit cold and given all the cosmetic changes, whilst I thoroughly enjoyed it, Discovery should probably have been set post-Nemesis to not appear so jarring.

Uhura's Song and jaime like this.