Definite New Series/Limited Series with Patrick Stewart Returning

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Picard' started by MvRojo, Jun 19, 2018.

1. Philip Guyott

Philip Guyott Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Staring Andy Whitfield
    [​IMG]
    ^Patrick Stewart in the 1960's
    First Picard isn't bald, he's follically challenged.
    Second Picard still had hair when he was serving on the USS Stargazer. He shaved his hair when he was young to look like Tom Hardy, but it grew back. ;)

Last edited: Jun 21, 2018
  2. 2takesfrakes

2takesfrakes Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

"The resemblance is ... striking."

3. Danlav05

Danlav05 Commodore Commodore

4. Philip Guyott

5. 2takesfrakes

To be honest, I only see it as a benefit if the actor playing the part of a Real Life person actually looks like him. If an actor's playing the part of a fictional character assumed by some other ... he's not playing that former actor ... he's playing the character. So, why do they have to look alike? Every James Bond doesn't have to look like Sir Sean Connery to sell him as 007. I just want someone who's great in it -- who's likeable, especially -- and understands the essence of the character whilst bringing something new to the pot. This last point, I feel, is the most important. If this actor were playing a young Picard, who understands old Picard, then it's all about interpretation, anyway.

6. Jayson1

Jayson1 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Normally I would agree but if Stewart is also in the show it means that you do need to sort of capture Stewart down more than you would if you were just going with a more straight reboot or remake. Unless your show is going to be more meta and which case you can basically do all sorts od different takes on established characters and canon and everything. Not sure Trek is ready for that as of yet but who knows with the Tarantino movie.

Jason

Grendelsbayne likes this.
  7. Sverre

Sverre Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Transporter room 3 guys talked about it tonight. They are both involved in the industry, and alluded to this a few weeks ago. They said last they heard, Stewart said he was interested and talks have been ongoing. But recently negotiations have stalled, because Stewart is demanding 1 Million dollars per episode. They haven't heard any new news on it, since the articles leaked this week, so they finally felt like they could talk about it.

8. 2takesfrakes

Of course, there would be promotional material explaining to audiences why this miniseries is dealing with someone not of the century current STAR TREK is known for. Just the same, if they do end up making a Picard series and Sir Patrick Stewart is playing him at certain points sort of reminiscing, then it would behoove the series to use such opportunity to have Jean-Luc discuss his having met Captain Kirk, personally. Along with Mr. Spock, Scotty and others to sort of connect it all. I really like the idea of seeing Picard's Hell Bent for Leather years, partly out of FanBoy Wankery, if I'm to be completely honest, here. But mostly because that version of Picard was so storied, throughout the series. Young Picard was "very much in need of seasoning," arrogant ... and a champion.

In fact, his brother was quite jealous over Jean-Luc's achievements. And, like any Frenchman, he had many conquests, chief amongst them was Jenice -- the only woman who could've kept him out of Starfleet, to lead an ordinary life of pleasantries. None of this is me making it up, or exaggerating anything -- in fact, I know I'm leaving stuff out! So, there's much to mine from to make a miniseries about -- maybe 4 episodes would condense it enough to keep a brisk pace. Now, if this miniseries never sees the light of day, believe me ... I'll never notice. What we have now, TNG-wise ... it's really good stuff and I'm satisfied with it. But there's a great story to be told, here, one that could earn very strong ratings & acclaim if done right.

9. Jayson1

What if they go Luke Skywalker on everyone. When we see Picard he is angry and bitter at the world and has failed on some level that has hurt the Federation. He is pulled back in by some new younger characters and they have to stop a threat of somekind. Maybe Earth or Vulcan has been assimilated and the Borg are everywhere!

Jason

10. 2takesfrakes

I'm not sure I can answer that, because when Picard gets all Wrath of Khanny over the Borg in First Contact, it went so contrary to the Truth of the Character, as described in the TV show. Yes, it was very dramatic, very quotable, some of it ... but it came at the cost of sort of destroying all of what came before it. Whilst the argument can be made that people change, or whatever, the Borg was not an UNresolved issue. It had been dealt with, before and Picard accepted that. So, it felt like there was this divide between TV Picard and Movie Picard and ... I don't know ... yes, he's made up fiction, but to see him having to relearn lessons all over again, when he's at an age where he should have picked up on a few things ... it doesn't work. For me, it doesn't work ...

Uhura's Song likes this.
  11. Jayson1

Well it doesn't have to be the Borg. It could be simply that he is now old and without a family and not even in Starfleet anymore. The kind of isolated life he led is starting to come back and bother him. You could even do the "Logan" idea and say most of the "TNG" crew has died and he is the last person standing.

Jason

12. 2takesfrakes

I agree that there are many different approaches that could be taken for a Picard (mini)series, but I'm not necessarily pushing for one. The miniseries concept invites a lot of ill-considered ideas that might get rushed to production, if any proceeding STAR TREK miniseries ideas prove wildly successful. It might also depend on what's "hot" or trendy at the time, which may not be a perfect fit. But we're just shooting the shit, here. None of this discussion is going to decide the fate of STAR TREK in a miniseries format. Personally, I don't want to watch any STAR TREK series about how elderly Picard's out saving the Galaxy. If they come out with that, then, hey ... I don't have the pink receipt to STAR TREK. I know that. I'll just have to see what they come up with and hope, like hell, that they're on the side of the angels ...

13. mos6507

mos6507 Commodore Commodore

Hmm.. Expendables anyone? There's definitely a market out there for older icons still delivering the goods, because the general population keeps aging and not all of them believe that the thing to do is put on the cardigan sweater and sit in a rocking chair all day reminiscing.

Philip Guyott likes this.
  14. Philip Guyott

Personally, I don't want to watch anything else other than a Star Trek series about how elderly Picard's out saving the Galaxy.

I love the character, and Stewart is an amazing actor, can't wait.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2018
    Longinus, Uhura's Song and Thefallguy like this.
  15. 2takesfrakes

It appears as though Sir Patrick Stewart is pricing himself out of these negotiations -- he's axed for at least a million per episode already and talks have stalled, as a result.

Danlav05 likes this.
  16. Vger23

Vger23 Vice Admiral Admiral

I haven't read this whole thread, so not sure if I'm repeating it or not...but a "Star Trek: Stargazer" series would be great, with the framing of Stewart playing a "modern" Picard, retired from Starfleet, telling the stories to a group of cadets or a mentee of some sort.

If we could get past the fact that the bridge design and uniforms would probably be updated from 1987 and not have a colossal meltdown about "TEH CANON!!1!1!" it could be a great show to harken back to pre-TNG sense of action and adventure, and see how Picard got his seasoning and wisdom.

Butters likes this.
  17. Jayson1

I really hope Stewart does it. Asking for 1 million dollars a ep might seem like alot but if he wants 1 million you counter with 2 million a episode. Anything it takes to get him to sign aboard.

Jason

Danlav05 likes this.
  18. Four Lights

Four Lights Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I absoluely adored TNG and Picard as a teenager, so in theory should be super excited over this news. What worries me though is that all the behind the scenes talent that helped make the character so special would not be involved now. I also don't trust Patrick Stewart's input to keep Picard true to his best qualities - come the movies he was basically agitating for him to become an action adventure version of himself.

TV Picard though - august, regal, effortlessly authoritative and with a pin sharp intellect? That's a version of the character I would love to see again.

Uhura's Song likes this.
  19. Vger23

Vger23 Vice Admiral Admiral

I don't think Picard was a s great a character as some of you do, to be honest.

I always found Picard's one-dimensional perfection and self-righteousness to be the driver for almost everything that was wrong with that series.

Not saying I don't like him at all...just saying that he's a pretty one-note character that I never, even as an early teen in 1987, found compelling.

20. Butters

Butters Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

He was righteous.

I could go for a series on the stargazer, or even the faragut, if I’ve remembered the ship correctly. A young Picard, a young Jack and Bev.

It’s a shame the uniforms in that period were shit, but I could live with an update if the changes were sympathetic to the period. Maybe even find a way of slipping in an adventure on the Enterprise C and showing young Picard with Guinan.