Poor Things: I'm not sure.

The "born sexy yesterday" trope is okay if it's art. ;)
It is weird that people would write characters like that now that I know it's a thing.

I think for the viewer it's very much just that the likes of Emma Stones and Mila Jovovic are incredibly beautiful people and it's not about the characters mental state.

Well it became a thing mostly because it actually works. This movie is a great movie. So is "The Fifth Element" and so forth. Most tropes tend to last for a reason. A proven track record of success. Time and people's changing sensibilities do tend to change the trope to a degree but the basic idea is still always their.

Well it became a thing mostly because it actually works. This movie is a great movie. So is "The Fifth Element" and so forth. Most tropes tend to last for a reason. A proven track record of success. Time and people's changing sensibilities do tend to change the trope to a degree but the basic idea is still always their.

But the Fifth Element was fun this wasn't fun I did not enjoy it.

Now bring me my dammit multipass I lost it on the subway

But the Fifth Element was fun this wasn't fun I did not enjoy it.

Now bring me my dammit multipass I lost it on the subway

Also, Korben did not take advantage of Leeloo like happened in this movie. Furthermore, Leeloo was some kind of synthetic life form--somewhat naive about the world and social interactions but fully intelligent and in control of her decisions. She was not a child in an adult body.

Also, Korben did not take advantage of Leeloo like happened in this movie. Furthermore, Leeloo was some kind of synthetic life form--somewhat naive about the world and social interactions but fully intelligent and in control of her decisions. She was not a child in an adult body.

That was my main misgiving after watching that, it was like kid brain adult body, I don't care that's wrong

I think the bigger point though is the movie is not really saying what is going on is a good thing. The movie is very aware of how fucked up everything is. So that is part of the story as well. It's not suppose to be romance movie or feel good story, I think they what you to be fascinated by the morally ambiguous people in the story.

Also about how she evolves and finds herself by having no filter due to a child brain, but also by not inhibited by being a normal person in this society she can see the world as it is and others can't. Except for William DaFoe as her dad, due to his face being disfigured and having being treated in a evil way by his dad while growing up. Yet also someone who has the curiosity and desire to push the limits of science, just because he finds purpose in it.

I think the bigger point though is the movie is not really saying what is going on is a good thing. The movie is very aware of how fucked up everything is. So that is part of the story as well. It's not suppose to be romance movie or feel good story, I think they what you to be fascinated by the morally ambiguous people in the story.

Also about how she evolves and finds herself by having no filter due to a child brain, but also by not inhibited by being a normal person in this society she can see the world as it is and others can't. Except for William DaFoe as her dad, due to his face being disfigured and having being treated in a evil way by his dad while growing up. Yet also someone who has the curiosity and desire to push the limits of science, just because he finds purpose in it.

Yes, I get all of that. I just found it incredibly difficult to watch. In my younger years, the movie might not have bothered me as much--I used to watch a lot of art movies that were meant to be disturbing such as those by Peter Greenaway or Krzysztof Kieslowski -- but something about the way this movie was done really disturbed me. The sex scenes were just too graphic and almost designed for some sort of comedic effect, which I felt was out of context for the subject matter.

I understand. These kind of movies will always have mixed reactions depending on each individual. They are not made for mainstream appeal. Searchlight Pictures was basically A24 before A24 was A24. I always love these kind of movies. Especially these days as I feel like Disney and Corporate desires for endless remakes and reboots has made mainstream movies worst than they have been in awhile.

Of course. And I don't want to say that others feel the way that I do about the movie. Intellectually--I get what it is trying to do. And I really support artistic visions that push the expectations of society.

I'm usually not squeamish about sex in movies--but this movie really bothered me as it came across as pedophilia based on the story. Yes, the character matures throughout--but she was still naive about the world when she hit Paris. I know that Emma Stone has defended this, but it bothered me nevertheless. I have not read the book.
Yeah. If not pedophilia, there's definitely an element of lack of capacity to consent in the concept.

Last edited:
I had been planning on watching eventually, but now after reading this thread I'm pretty quickly losing interest.

You should watch it and judge for yourself. One thing anyone can't say is it doesn't take chances and aims to be high art and not just be something dumbed down. People's tastes are subjective of course so no surefire guarantee you will like it, but movies like this I feel deserve to at least be given a chance by a audience because of it's goals. It's not just another tired reboot or or cheap horror or action movie.

I understand what you mean, but I'm not sure if I want to waste my time on something I was only moderately interested, that it sounds like will probably end up offending me, when there's a lot of stuff out there that I want to see a lot more that I'm much more confident I'll like, like Dune Part 2, Barbie, Oppenheimer, Godzilla Minus One, Godzilla x Kong: The New Empire, and Furiosa.

I understand. All those other movies are also good movies for sure, except I can't say about Godzila vs Kong an Furiosa just yet because I haven't seen those either just yet. Plus one thing you can do is wait and watch Poor Things in a few years. I know I got what seems like thousands of movies and tv shows I want to watch that I just haven't gotten around to it yet. Lots of great viewing options for people these days.

I thought it was pretty good. Though the level of sex and nudity caught me by surprise.

I would currently choose it as the best of 2023. It's only serious challenger for me would be AMERICAN FICTION....with ARE YOU THERE GOD? IT'S ME, MARGARET a more distant third.

Willem Dafoe should have gotten a Oscar nomination. Perhaps his character was too benevolent.:cool:

"American Fiction" was great!

I haven't seen "Poor Things", though I was curious about it when it was in the theater. Parts of this thread have made me more curious to see what all the fuss is about.

The 10 best movies of 2023 out of the ones I have seen and in no order are IMO

1 SpiderMan-Across the Universe part 2
2 Oppenheimer
3 Barbie
4 Gran Turismo
5 Dream Scenario
6 Poor Things
7 American FIction
8 John Wick 4
9 Godzilla Minus One
10 The Holdovers.

Back