Poll: Which 'who' DVD should I buy?

Discussion in 'Doctor Who' started by Hennessy Badger, Sep 5, 2009.

?

Which 'Who' Ep. is better?

Poll closed Sep 7, 2009.
  1. Image of the Fendahl

2 vote(s)
    12.5%
  2. The Deadly Assassin

14 vote(s)
    87.5%
  3. They both suck. Go buy a book.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Hennessy Badger

Hennessy Badger Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I thought I'd ask the experts. I don't normally buy classic Who DVDs simply because I'm a starving college student, and the cost for them is somewhat high.

However, I have a $5 Borders coupon and a they're doing free shipping on orders over $10 through Monday, so it's one of those rare times that its actually cheaper to buy a DVD from them over amazon. Well, certain titles anyway.

I've got it narrowed down to two Tom Baker tales:

The Deadly Assassin (Episode 88)

or

Image of the Fendahl (Episode 94)

So which one should I go with? Does one stand alone better than the other. Or is one more entertaining than the other? Whichever one gets the most votes is the one I'll order. Thanks for your input.

2. Peacemaker

Peacemaker Vice Admiral Admiral

I bought Deadly yesterday...loved it. Of course Angus McKay is, IMO, the definitive Borusa.

I may go get Image later tonight though cuz I've not gotten any Who DVD's except DA all year.

3. DWF

DWF Admiral Admiral

The Deadly Assassin it's a great story with elements of The Matrix and Phantom Of The Opera in it. The Image Of The Fendahl is a great one but it's more of a gothic horror story, not quite in the same league as The Deadly Assassin though.

4. auntiehill

auntiehill The Blooness Premium Member

I say "Deadly Assassin." The story is just more interesting.

5. Piper

Piper Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The Deadly Assassin. :techman:

6. Hennessy Badger

Thanks for the responses! I feel more confidant following the advice from you all verses the amazon.com comments section because they tend to fall into such extremes with their opinions.

The Deadly Assassin seems to be the popular choice at the moment. From I what I understand this is the only classic series episode where the Doctor is without a companion ~ which is kinda cool.

I'm saving up for the Key to Time series because I've heard good things about that. Plus, the fact that its released as a boxed set makes it another good deal.

I blame the DW dry spell we've been going through. I've had to get my Doctor fix somehow, and the older episodes have been a real treat.

7. OmahaStar

OmahaStar Disrespectful of his betters Admiral

I'm going to echo the answer given by ... well, everyone else. Deadly Assassin immediately follows The Hand of Fear. It was in Hand that we said bye to Sarah Jane Smith, with the Doctor saying he had been called to Gallifrey and that in those days, Humans weren't allowed.

If you want to know more about the mythology of the Time Lords, DA is where it sort of starts. Rassilon, 12 regenerations, and other things relating to their mythology are introduced here.

And you're right, I think this may be the only story to have the Doctor without any companions.

8. Winterwind

Winterwind Commodore Commodore

What's to say that hasn't already been said. The Deadly Assassin.

9. timelord1010

timelord1010 Captain Captain

Another vote for The Deadly Assasin.

10. Captain Dago

Captain Dago Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Ummm.. don't you mean The Matrix (1999) had elements of The Deadly Assassin (1976) in it? Or is it that they both owe a good deal to The Manchurian Candidate (1962)?

11. DWF

DWF Admiral Admiral

Yes but for somebody who's never seen it, somehow it works better the other way around. I was trying to sell the connections to modern stories. And at least three of Robert Holmes' stories also had elements of The Phantom Of The Opera in them.

12. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

I love both stories but I have to go with the majority: The Deadly Assassin.

13. Captain Pike

Captain Pike Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Fendahl is good. Assassin is better.

14. The Mirrorball Man

The Mirrorball Man Vice Admiral Admiral

I'd buy Assassin but I think Fendahl is excellent. You should buy both.

15. Flibble

Flibble Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

While Image of the Fendahl is a good story, Deadly Assassin has a lot of stuff about Timelords and Gallifrey that you really should know about.

16. The Mirrorball Man

The Mirrorball Man Vice Admiral Admiral

That would have been perfect if you had put "young man" at the end: "... a lot of stuff about Timelords and Gallifrey that you really should know about, young man!". There.

17. Haggis and tatties

Haggis and tatties Vice Admiral Admiral

I have picked TDA but if you can get both i say go for it, the more Dr who the better.

18. Hennessy Badger

Thanks for the advice: Peacemaker, DWF, auntiehill, Piper, OmahaStar, Josan, timelord1010, Captain Dago, Emh, Captain Pike, The Mirrorball Man, Flibble, and Haggis and Tatties.

I decided to go with the clear majority and have ordered The Deadly Assassin from borders.com. After it has arrived I'll make sure to give it a watch and let you all know how I liked it. I'm really eager to see it now! :D

19. jamestyler

jamestyler Commodore Commodore

You made the right choice. It's been a while since I've seen it - may have to dig out thd CD's

20. OmahaStar

OmahaStar Disrespectful of his betters Admiral

As long as you're ordering things online, I'd like to recommend deepdiscount.com ... Twice a year, in June/July and November/December, they run a 20% off sale. As long as the dvd has been released, you can buy it for 20% off of however much they sell it for. Today, the Key to Time box set is 67 bucks. If you wait (since you said you're saving up for it anyway), you can get it for 54 bucks.

This past July, it was 25% instead of the usual 20%, so I was able to buy it for even cheaper.

Granted, if you simply can't wait, check out www.dvdpricesearch.com ... It will show you the eight cheapest places to buy a specific dvd online, including shipping.