Poker

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by JirinPanthosa, Nov 19, 2016.

1. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

Anyone here into poker?
    I've gone through spurts of playing online a lot, trying to get into live games but having trouble with how slow those move and the attitude of other players. Plus nanny laws prevent me from online micro-stakes.

I love learning the mathematical nuances of strategy, just other than poker nights with friends can't find real money games with players who aren't obnoxious asshats.

2. USS Triumphant

USS Triumphant Vice Admiral Admiral

I like 5 card draw, but that's about it. Haven't played in quite a while, either - used to play with family and bet pieces of Bonkers candy. :)

3. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

Five card draw is the first version you learn as a kid but probably because of how easy it is to broadcast Texas Hold'em has become the most popular.

It'd be interesting to see how professionals play five card draw relative to Texas Hold'em. Texas Hold'em gives you a decent percentage of the information so the game becomes heavily about math, but five card draw gives you almost no information about anyone else's hand. It would be a lot more about playing your opponent and trying to get reads, and probably nobody would play any hand less than two pair.

4. SPCTRE

SPCTRE Badass Admiral

I got into micro-stakes for a while (Texas Holdem) via pokerstrategy.net when there was a huge poker boom here (during the late aughts I think) - for a while I was playing up to 7 or 8 tables at a time. I think pokerstrategy.net gave you $100 at affiliated poker sites when you completed one of their free basic courses.

there was definitely a point where I could see doing it even more seriously - I had a lot of free time then as a student at uni, and a fellow student basically paid for his own apartment just by playing online poker. with people largely being idiots, just knowing some basic strategies i.e. probabilities pays off invariably.