Pokemon Sun/Moon

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Tribble puncher, Nov 30, 2016.

1. Tribble puncher

Tribble puncher Captain Captain

I'm surprised there isn't a discussion already, (if there is, I didn't see it.) So, I scored a limited 3ds on on Black Friday. I was thinking of buying a copy of Pokemon Moon, (I haven't played a Pokemon game since yellow) but am not sure, should I get Moon? Or should I go with a little older one like X/Y?

2. Random_Spock

Random_Spock Vice Admiral Admiral

Moon is pretty good so far. X/Y aren't perfect, but if you can, try to get one of the older ones along with Moon. There's the friend safari that's available in the those games that can help with shiny hunting and the like.

3. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Vice Admiral Admiral

I have Y.

I suggest getting the new ones, however the old ones might be a lot cheaper and they are all pretty much the same dan game.

4. kirk55555

kirk55555 Vice Admiral Admiral

I got Moon a few days ago, and I'm really enjoying it. A lot of the new pokemon are pretty cool, and the various changes are interesting. With some lucky trading I have all three starters on my team (I started with Rowlett), and I'm on the second island. I'm having a lot of fun so far.

5. Tribble puncher

I wound up buying X, I found a used copy for half the price of a new one, (Packaging and manuals were pristine) It's and iinteresting game so far....seems "Easier" the original. (battles/puzzles) I will say the battle animations and graphics are obviously way better. (The battles don't seem as tense, however) I know this games made for kids, but I do wish it had adjustable difficulty, the studio has to be aware that there are teen/adult fans out there as well....I was thinking about buying moon, but am not sure after this....if it's as easy as what I've come across so far...(I am only in pursuit of second badge)

Random_Spock likes this.
  6. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

I got Moon for my birthday and been playing the last few days. It's fun so far, definitely different to the previous few generations and it's taking time to get used to all the changes to pretty much everything.

Just wish my avatar didn't have such a serial killer dead eye stare/smile all the goddamn time. She looks like she's plotting to murder everyone. :lol:

I went with the water starter and for some reason, after 6 generations of the rival picking the Pokemon super effective against yours, in Gen 7 they now pick the one your Pokemon is super effective against. That's...odd.

And holy shit living Pokedex, it would be better if it wasn't always sitting on the lower screen just staring at you every minute you play.

7. Hound of UIster

Hound of UIster Vice Admiral Admiral

XY by all accounts is considered the generic low end of Pokemon Games. The standard I believe still is BW/BW2 and maybe SM now as well as HGSS for remakes.

8. Tribble puncher

Well, compared to Pokemon yellow, it's a pretty big jump in some regards, so maybe it's a gateway game. Tons of just weird Pokemon, (not that the originals didn't have a fair share of them) I've noticed this "new" (to me) mechanic in the game, playing with your pokemon, where you rub them with the stylus, and feed them little cupcake things. Now they have meters for happiness, fullness, etc. So my question is, will my Pokemon be less effective if I elect not to give them treats/pet them? I don't mind that they threw the mechanic in the game, for those that really want to get immersed and bond with their Pokemon, but if you just ignore it, do they start beeping at you? Or start not to obey you as what would happen in the original if your gym badge wasn't high enough?

9. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

Yeesh, I hated most of Generation 5, that definitely felt far less inspired than the previous ones, 6 was an upswing from that. AlphaSapphire and OmegaRuby have been some of the best in a long time.

10. kirk55555

So, this is the first Pokemon game where I've been able to do online trading, and I've learned one thing: Petilil and Vullaby are in very high demand. Both of these pokemon are exclusive to Moon, and pretty easy to catch (Petilil is especially plentiful). But, for some reason people (I'm assuming people with Sun) will trade their left arm for one. I farmed them and ended up getting all the sun exclusive pokemon, including the two Sun exclusive Ultra Beasts and even the cover pokemon, Solgaleo. Now, to be fair, I don't care about IVs or natures, a lot of this is just for filling the pokedex, but if you're more into collecting/using in-game then petilil's seem to be solid gold.

I've also used them to get a bunch of the hard to catch pokemon that technically exist in Moon (like Kangaskahn and that cool anchor pokemon) among others. I also got the other two starters, which I used for a bit but then bred them so I could have ones that obey me, so now half my team is the three starter pokemon (along with a Mudbray and Alolan Grimer I intend to keep, and a magnemite I like but might switch if I find a better electric type). I don't know how long the Petlil/Vullaby rush will go, I think having the Pokebank available in January might slow the rush down at the very least, but as of right now I can get almost any available pokemon in Sun/Moon by getting a bunch of very easily caught petilil then trading them.

I mean, I can't get the Moon exclusives that easily since no one with moon needs a petilil, but I'll get those on my own. Plus, I'm not going to spend time trying to trade for pokemon I can easily get myself. But, its been an awesomely bizarre time getting ridiculous trades for a few common pokemon.

11. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

Petilil's were also pretty common in White 1, I caught a lot of them back in the day but there was trade demand for them back then too. I'm fairly sure they were available in Black as well, people were using them a lot for the Dream World feature.

12. kirk55555

Its weird because its a pokemon I've never really cared about, and its not that impressive. I mean, obviously Sun users have to trade for it in order to complete the pokedex, and some people might just want one on their team, too, but I've literally been getting legendaries, exclusives, and hard to catch pokemon with them. I finished getting all of eevee's evolved forms today, all through trading petlils, a pokemon I can frequently catch just by throwing a great ball without weakening it. Its an interesting phenomena, but I'm not complaining. I just hope the demand still exists once the pokebank starts working with Sun/Moon.

13. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

I know, it was odd back in the day too given how little they could do compared to say Roselia.

I managed to get a female Lileep back in Generation 3 when fossils were a lot rarer, and could breed them on evolving to Cradilly. That trading boom I could understand and still occasionally breed a few, but fossils are a lot easier to come by now.

14. kirk55555

I've actually gotten a few moon exclusives with petlil. After spending literally 35 minutes today trying to find an Oranguru in Lush Forest (5% encounter rate my ass, I say a Comfrey, also a 5% chance encounter, three times in the 35 minutes but no Oranguru) I gave up, caught a petlil and put it up for a trade. I got an Oranguru in about 3 minutes (probably from a Sun user who was breeding a traded one).

One gameplay feature I'm liking is the poke pelago. Specifically the island you can use to level up pokemon that would just be stuck in your box otherwise (I can do 18 at a time since I fully upgraded the level up island). I managed to level up a bunch of pokemon that I then took out and raised one level manually so they'd evolve. its great for pokemon I don't intend to use inmy party, but want evolved forms of (it will definitely help with pokemon like Vullaby or Deino that only evolve at ridiculously high levels). All I do is take them out every so often to make sure they don't lose good moves. The Pelago is also good for berry growing, raising happiness (got my Munchlax happy enough to evolve without needed to take it around with me), and a few other things. Its definitely an interesting addition to the game.

Random_Spock likes this.
  15. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

I got around to shopping for my avatar, I like that new option. Only I spent about 20,000 or more on clothes and hair styling in one go.

Got a nice outfit and longer hair, but I have hazel eyes and decided to use that option, but she came out with these weird bright yellow werewolf eyes. :lol: changed it to green since it's still close enough, but with that dead eye stair it was too creepy.

Still not getting used to a living Pokedex, or the island trials in place of the old fashioned gyms, but it's a fun game so far.

16. kirk55555

Some of the clothes are pretty expensive (I bought a $12,000 shirt because I wasn't paying attention :lol:) but I ended up buying a good amount of stuff and switching everything but my backpack after every challenge or two.

Today I beat the Elite Four. I read some people online saying it was tough, but with pokemon on about the same level as the E4 trainers I beat them fairly easily (my team was a pretty good mix of types, which was my big advantage). I've also captured the four "Tapu" Guardian deities. I'm planning to fill the pokedex and do post game stuff for awhile. Overall, this really is a great game, and probably my favorite Generation since Gen 2. Great new pokemon, some cool twists on the formula, and a surprisingly good story that even made me care about side characters.

Random_Spock likes this.
  17. kirk55555

As of a few minutes ago I've officially completed the Alolan Pokedex with 301 out of 301 pokemon caught (Necrozma was thelast one I got, because I forgot it even existed until I got pokemon #300 and my pokedex wasn't full). I've also beaten the elite 4 (twice) and did the Ultra beast missions (obviously, or I wouldn't have a complete pokedex). There is no national dex in this game, so I've filled the pokedex as much as I can.

I'll still play around with stuff like the Battle Tree, and a few random post game events. I might also try to get more pokemon when the pokebank is updated. Still, I've beaten this pokemon game more thoroughly then I have any pokemon game since Gen 1 (I've also beaten Gen 2 and 3 several times, but I never filled those pokedex's). It took me about 79 hours and 30 minutes to do what I've done so far, and it was really fun. This game is great, with some really cool differences and features not in the other games, and with a group of new pokemon that, at least in my opinion, don't have a single bad design. The legendaries are a bit weak from a design perspective (besides the two box legendaries), but none of them were bad.

Overall, I've had a lot of fun with Pokemon Moon.