Pocket's 2010 Schedule Announced on TrekMovie.com

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by Daddy Todd, Jul 11, 2009.

1. Daddy Todd

Daddy Todd Commodore Commodore

See it THERE.

Come back and discuss HERE.

Me, I'm a bit disappointed by what's happening for 4 months mid-year. But I understand the decision from a business standpoint.

2. Daddy Todd

Daddy Todd Commodore Commodore

Not disappointed by who is writing those books -- some of my favorite TrekLit writers -- but by, well, the amount of slots given over to JJTrek.

No Enterprise, no Vanguard, no Voyager in 2010. I'd rather see those plus 1 NuTrek title over 4 NuTreks

3. Rat Boy

Rat Boy Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm actually intrigued. I'd love to see what the usual suspects can do with the alternate timeline.

4. UssGlenn

UssGlenn Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Hey, they are jumping DS9 forward? Is the book going to tell us what happened in the meantime? How many years is that anyway?

5. Hartzilla2007

Hartzilla2007 Vice Admiral Admiral

I like the fact that the next New frontier novel has been anounced

Also

An Aventine book, cool

A 2382 set DS9 book, awesome

and the fact that we find out what the Typhon Pact stories are about.

But best of all has got to be the Summer of JJ Trek, and its nice to know that it looks like Prime Trek and JJ Trek are going to coexist at Pocket.

6. Sci

Sci Fleet Admiral Admiral

Read the article again. Clark said there might well be novels on those series coming in 2010; we're just looking at the first draft of the 2010 release schedule.

ETA:

I'm really unhappy with the decision to move the DS9 Relaunch up to sync with the rest of the Trekverse, though. There's a LOT of unexplored territory between 2377 and 2382 -- heck, 2376 got 19 separate stories in the DS9R.

7. Sto-Vo-Kory

Sto-Vo-Kory Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Looking forward to the fall releases, saddened by the delay (again) of the new CoE omnibus and eager to learn more about those summer nuTrek titles.
    I'm ambivalent toward Foster's book but excited to see Mr. Mack and Mr. Bennett both involved in contributing their unique voices to the nuTrek universe. I have full confidence in their ability to deliver satisfying novels even if they have to "put all of the toys back in the box" when they're finished.

8. Marie1

Marie1 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

December 2010
    "The Rough Bests of Empire" (DS9)by David R. George IIIThis sounds neat, about the Typhon Pact and the Tzenkethi. Do we know if they will jump permanently from from TSK/TNES to stay in 2382?

9. 8of5

8of5 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I'm a bit put off by the stand-aloneness the article makes note of across the board. And could do with a bit more balance; two thirds TOS does not please me, though I am interested to see what Mr's Bennett and Mack do in the new playground, and happy to see a Pike book.

I'm a bit worried about the Huge jump for DS9 too. I really hope at least some of that gap is closed with this year's DS9 books, and that the gap period is not forgotten.

Glad to see Aventine get a book of her own.

And... what happened to Mike Barr's Captain April novel "The Millennium Bloom"?

10. Warp Coil

Warp Coil Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

My first thoughts? I have to say... I'm a little disappointed. The first half of the year is almost entirely devoted to the TOS era and the Abramsverse. I think it's too soon to jump into the new timeline created by ST'09 since the next movie will probably contradict what's written in those stories. There's nothing on the agenda that interests me until OCTOBER!, with the return to the various relaunch series. WTF? Couldn't they have broken it up a little more? I'm also very weary of the DS9 relaunch jumping forward in time by four years. Umm.... what about all of the current story threads that are up in the air? I don't believe for one second that the next two books ("The Soul Key" and "Never Ending Sacrifice") are going to address everything that's currently on the plate. Is Margaret Clark just going to sweep everything under the rug so that she can bring DS9 in line with the rest of 24 century Trek?!?!

11. DarkHorizon

DarkHorizon Captain Captain

Not happy with DS9 being pushed forward. Unless The Soul Key actually wraps a lot of things up (which, considering the fact that the Ascendents storyline hasn't even got started, isn't all that likely), it feels forced to me.

A bit unsure about the amount of ST09 related stories - I get the desire to develop the line, but four books in four months seems a bit overcrowded. That's the sense I get from the schedule as a whole, really - the year feels like three huge, but completely separate, blocks of novels. Broken up a bit, like this year's schedule is, and it would probably look better. As it is, someone who doesn't like or doesn't read certain series may have to wait several months before a novel they want to read comes up.

I do like how each of the Typhon Pact novels appear to be focusing on a different member of the Pact (hopefully, we'll get KRAD on the Kinshaya in 2011). And we're moving ahead of where ASD left us by at least six months.

Millennium Bloom is not on the schedule (I was looking forward to a new take on April), and the SCE collection has been pushed back another year. No Voyager, no Enterprise, no Vanguard. All in all, a little disappointing - I really felt we were finally getting back to a balanced schedule.

12. Ood Sigma

Ood Sigma Commander Red Shirt

Thoughts:

• I'm excited about the JJ-verse novels, but I agree that I wish they were more spread out. Maybe alternating with the Typhon Pact novels?
    • Still, 3 David Mack books... awesome!
    • I'll also say I'm unhappy with the decision to move DS9 forward to the post-Destiny timeframe. Even though DRG3 is writing it. Who knows, it may be one bazillion words long and effectively wrap up the Ascendants story arc in flashback, or something.
    • I'm guessing the final 2 Typhon Pact novels will be out some time in 2011. I wonder what crews they will focus on? (Either that, or the event's been compressed to 4 novels... I'd be OK with that)
    • Glad to see Titan on the board... but what are the Gorn doing way the heck out there?
    • Also disappointed in no Voyager, but I'm sure the care that was given to making Full Circle so awesome will also be given to making sure the next book after Unworthy rocks as well.

13. Rush Limborg

Rush Limborg Vice Admiral Admiral

Looks like this time, I Am NOT The One Who Resists The Tug Of Popular Sentiment. Well...maybe a little, but not much.

So, without further ado...my $0.02:

I'm a little skeptical of the concept of "Sorrows of Empire." Good story, but...we already know the story, and how it's gonna turn out. Is Mack certain that an "extended" edition will be popular--or practical?

Or is this for folks who don't care for short-story anthologies?

(Hmm...on second thought, if this works out after all, maybe MORE of our favorite tails will get extended...interesting....:drool:)

Looking forward to the other TOS books. Glad to see they aren't affected by the film.

Looking forward to the nuTrek books--especially "More Beautiful Than Death". I wonder...will Spock Prime be in this one?

I'm not caught up on New Frontier as of yet, so no comment--except, I have a great deal of faith in PAD to spin a good yarn--BD not withstanding....

REALLY looking forward to the "Typhon Pact" books! Especially the Ezri book....

Sooooooooooo...The Typhon Pact is akin to The Warsaw Pact, eh?

Glad to see my prediction (and those of others) in the other thread is probably right--it's A COLD WAR!!!

I agree with the concerns about the big "jump" for DS9. Looks like this particular book will put limits on any "fillers" to come--who HAS to live, what CAN'T change, that sorta thing....

(While we're on the subject...I wonder what happens to Bashir?)

On that note, I'm pretty optimistic overall! Now if only I can catch up on my reading in time....

Here's to 2010! :beer:

Last edited: Jul 11, 2009
  14. Trent Roman

Trent Roman Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

So much for balance. That's more TOS than in the Year of TOS. Not that I don't understand the urge to try and capitalize on the apparant success of Abrams' Product, I just wonder whether this kind of market saturation might not backfire. Well, we'll see--wiser heads than mine and all that.

What else? I'm quite happy that Treason is getting a MMPB reprint; I just couldn't countenance buying that overinflated trade. I hope it does well, so that we might eventually see reprints of Romulan War and so on. Mildly dissapointed that it is still taking up a whole month's slot on the scheduled, though; if the AP novels are really going to sell as well as they are apparently anticipated to sell, you'd think they could accomodate a second MMPB release, particularly from an unrelated setting.

Not really surprised to see DS9 jumping forward. For all that some argued against doing so, and with valid points, and aside from my jaded attitude towards the post-Destiny setting, it has been falling increasingly out of step with an ever-more interconnected universe. I just hope there will be forthcoming novels that will be set in the interim, as I continue to hope will be the case for Voyager. Most of the storylines being developed in the DS9-R deserve better than being 'forgotten' for a few years, or just being summed up retrospectively. Nonetheless, it's great to see DRG3 returning to DS9, where I think he's done his best work. (BTW, is that really 'Rough Bests'? Should it be 'Rough Beasts'?)

Ultimately, the least exciting schedule in quite a while. I was thinking of taking a break from Trek Lit, but with such narrow selection, that'll be pretty much the case one way or the other. At least I won't be falling behind on anything. One can only hope that the 'shiny new toy' effect of AP will wear off and that us old-... er, new-... er, middle-school Trek fans won't be so consistently estranged from future endeavours.

EDIT: Hey, I just noticed: apart from the one story in the pushed-back Seven Sins anthology, we have nothing new coming from KRAD. What happened? Did the monkeys escape?

Fictitiously yours, Trent Roman

Last edited: Jul 11, 2009
  15. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

Why are so many people trying to see only sows' ears in all these silk purses?

For years people have been demanding that DS9 "catch up" with TNG and Marco always said the story would unfold as it needed to. Do you really think a gap of years of as-yet untold storyline is a problem? It's history. It's not going anywhere. Maybe the Ascendants story is best told in flashback?

It's a bunch of book titles and brief blurbs. Let's trust the authors to come up with some excellent stories to go with them. It's not that often they let all of us down in one swoop.

16. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I can understand why people are disappointed about no Voyager, Enterprise, or Vanguard next year, but we did/will get two Vanguard and Voyager books, and will be getting a TPB for Ent. So I'm not to disappointed about those, but I'm not to sure about there being four JJ-verse books. I can see wanting to take advantage of the popularity of the moving but IMO that is going a little overboard. I'm also rather unsure about DS9 jumping ahead to take part in the Typhon Pact, I liked the way the series was developing and I'm really hoping they don't just do a Full Circle type story. That was good for a series that only had two duologies, but IMO to much has developed during the DS9R for that to work. Other than that, everything sounds good. I'm especially intrigued by the TOS books, and the Typhon Pact. Honestly, I don't think there is a single thing on the list that I don't plan on reading. The stories all sound interesting, I just wish things has been done a little bit differently. I'm especially curious to see what Mack and Bennet do in their JJ-verse books.

17. Astraea

Astraea Commander Red Shirt

Given that I'm not a TOS fan, I'm really disappointed. I'll probably buy "Sorrows of Empire" in January (I'm a sucker for MU stories, and the short version was good), the 2 anthologies (Myriad Universes and Seven Deadly Sins), but after that it might be October (!) before I buy another book. I'm a little worried about DS9 getting enough of a wrap-up to all the stories, too, but mostly I'm just disappointed that the lineup's so, so very TOS-heavy.

18. danjamesb

danjamesb Commander Red Shirt

Thrilled by the amount of nuTrek stuff. Very much looking forward to all four of those.

19. Julio Angel Ortiz

Julio Angel Ortiz Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Well, it's just a schedule / announcement, so we have to see how it all really pans out, but my initial reaction is... not my cup of tea. I can understand from a business standpoint the Abramsverse books (will probably pick up the Bennett and Mack books), but wow- 8 TOS / JJ books?

I'm not too intrigued by the Typhon Pact mini-series for some reason, but the author line-up is solid. I'll probably be more excited as we get closer, but my interest has cooled for now. Obviously getting the Titan novel, though. :cool:

Bringing DS9 up to 2382... yeah, I wonder how the whole Ascendants thing will be dealt with. The DS9 relaunch has spent years building up plot threads revolving around the Dominion, the Ascendant, and the Mirror Universe Kira... looks like the Kira storyline will be wrapped up in The Soul Key, and then there's The Never-Ending Sacrifice, but then the leap? Wasn't there a line in the Destiny trilogy where Bowers says to Dax something along the lines of, "if we though 2376 was interesting, 2377 was even more so." Hopefully all those plot lines will be dealt with in a satisfactory, non-rushed manner, and again we have to wait and see.

No Vanguard is a bummer, but we are getting 2 novels this year, so it's hard to complain.

Overall, not my favorite schedule in a while, and I'll be buying much fewer books next year, but it makes sense for business.

20. Jaron

Jaron Captain Captain

I think the fact that the Ascendent storyline hasn't started is a plus in this case. We don't know when they're coming, so as long as they don't do anything significant in The Soul Key, they can show up post-Destiny without being too forced. There are other plotlines I'd hate to see skipped (like the situation with the Dominion), and I do hope we see some gap-filling stories in the future.

It's nice to see some nuTrek novels showing up, although four in a row seems a bit much. Of course, that could be my own preference for the 24th century at work. I'm sure there's someone out there thinking "Why are they doing all these silly Typhon Pact books? I want to read about Kirk!". These things move in cycles.

I'm not sure about letting David Mack play around in the new universe, though; I saw what he did to the last one. ;)