piracy discussion - business aspect only -CBS/Netflix

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Discovery' started by jefferiestubes8, Sep 25, 2017.

1. jefferiestubes8

jefferiestubes8 Commodore Commodore

In keeping with the rules of
    the rules of TrekBBS
    and
    TrekBBS FAQ

There was a thread in the other forum that others can refer to before DSC was officially announced.
    117 replies to this thread
    from 'Future of Trek' sub forum I made in 2015
    piracy discussion - new series

This new thread is about the business aspect to CBS & Netflix of the result of piracy of Star Trek Discovery.
    It includes:
    CBS Home Video
    CBS Interactive (owner of CBS All Access)
    CraveTV [Bell Media]
    Space [Bell Media]
    Netflix

The ways piracy affects these 5 companies financially and marketing-wise is the core of this thread.

Whether you are a paying subscriber to CBSAA or Netflix or not I will ask that methods and ways to subvert the services provided by CBS All Access, CraveTV, or Netflix _NOT_ be discussed in this thread.

If you wish to discuss any non-business/marketing aspect of this piracy topic then there is another thread probably for you:
    [SIZE=4]The "I'm Not Paying" Confessional Thread[/SIZE]

Yes we've heard for almost a year the complaining and justifications for the 2 price tiers of CBSAA and Netflix. This thread is not about that directly. Choosing the price structuring to counteract piracy is more of what this thread is about.
    I would like to see what CBS, Netflix, and CraveTV do going into season 2 & 3 and how CBS Home Video chooses a release date for Blu-ray, DVD, 4k UHD Blu-ray, and eventual digital download (Google Play, iTunes, Microsoft Movies & TV, VuDu)
    I'd really like to see what other on TrekBBS think CBS Interactive and CBS Network have done behind the scenes to still get ratings that and views for DSC? What about the larger amount of subscriptions worldwide for Netflix to view DSC and places like China and Bulgaria where video piracy is rampant?