Picard's awards

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Picard' started by NCC-73515, Jan 3, 2020.

1. NCC-73515

NCC-73515 Vice Admiral Admiral

I finally found good pictures of his awards at the First Duty exhibit:
    http://www.startrekpropauthority.com/2019/12/admiral-picard-awards-and-honors-from.html

Honorary Olympian, 2333
    Federation Allies Diplomacy Silver Medal, 2349
    Betazoid Loyalties Award for healing and enveloping new nations, 2350
    Humanitarian Award of Federation Planets, 2351
    Klingon Planetary Humanitarian (!) Award for leadership, 2355
    Grankite Order of Tactics for the Picard Maneuver
    Annual Fundraiser, 2360
    Distinguished Record of Service on USS Reliant, 2364
    Rising Phoenix Award for ending the Klingon civil war, 2367
    Vulcan Award for stopping the Romulan invasion, 2368
    Bajoran Award for post-occupation assistance
    Circle of Galaxies Award for maturity, 2375
    Vulcan Dignified Person Award, 2380
    Vulcan Crystal Planet Award for Peace Negotiations, 2386

Undated:
    Andorian award
    Legion of Honor

2. MrPicard

MrPicard Jean-Luc's Loving Husband Fleet Captain

"Vulcan Dignified Person Award"... is that the Vulcan equivalent of "person of the year"? (I'm loving this, of course. Jean-Luc deserves ALL the awards.)

3. Freshmeat

Freshmeat Ensign Red Shirt

I also like the "Circle of Galaxies Award for maturity".
    It almost sounds like a Starfleet meeting got so out of hand that they just up and gave an award to the only person who didn't lose his cool throughout all of it.

danellis, Danja and MrPicard like this.
  4. MrPicard

:lol::lol::lol:

5. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

I wonder who got the most awards: Picard or Kirk?

6. rahullak

rahullak Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Rank the captains according to their awards.

Danja and Lord Garth like this.
  7. Dukhat

Dukhat Admiral Admiral

I’m still curious as to how Picard as captain won an award in 2364 for service on a ship named the Reliant when he was already captain of the Enterprise in 2363. Unless the Reliant was a ship he served on immediately before the Enterprise and he just never spoke about it.

8. MrPicard

The time between his captaincy of the Stargazer and that of the Enterprise-D was never really much of a focus in canon, so it's very possible the award was indeed referring to him serving on a ship named Reliant before he took command of the Enterprise-D. In "Legacy", he refers to "his" ship responding to a distress call that ultimately led to him meeting Tasha Yar for the first time during a rescue mission.

9. Dukhat

Dukhat Admiral Admiral

Yep, I’m aware of the “Legacy” issue (that the original idea seemed to be that he was in command of the Enterprise at the time, but AGT clearly shows that that wasn’t the case.

Also, Picard served on a ship called the Reliant, but he was only an ensign. I doubt it took 37-some years for him to receive a service award.

10. Tim Thomason

Tim Thomason Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Two possibilities:
    - Picard served on the Reliant as an Ensign (presumably his first assignment in 2327 before transferring to the Stargazer), and later, much later, took over as Captain, perhaps from 2355 to 2364 (it may have been a different Reliant). He was assigned to the Enterprise-D in 2363, per onscreen info, but AGT shows him taking command in 2364, so this award may have been a going away present for their Captain of almost 9 years.
    - Picard, in 2364, is now the distinguished Captain of the Federation flagship. Since he started his career on the Reliant, the 2364 crew of the Reliant decide to give him this award. Like small, podunk towns giving Keys to the City to Governors, Presidents, billionaires, or movie stars who left as soon as they were able.

11. Timo

Timo Fleet Admiral Admiral

Or then it did.

It's possible that nobody else from that ship got any sort of an award (why would they?), but when Picard made it big, the ship's commemorative association decided to send him this "remember us" placard, complete with Picard's current title. Not for anything he would have achieved on the Reliant (he probably achieved nothing there and then), but for what he had achieved since.

Edit: ah, ninja'ed. But the Stargazer was explicitly both his first captaincy and his first starship assignment. Not necessarily in one continuous stretch - and indeed it might be he left that ship pretty soon after getting assigned there, did the Reliant stint, then fifteen other ships, and then got the Stargazer captaincy.

Timo Saloniemi

12. Dukhat

Dukhat Admiral Admiral

If that’s the case, I would prefer that the Reliant he served on in circa 2327 was the same ship as his former command in 2360-something. It’s not an unbelievable scenario, as we’ve seen older ships in TNG before. Heck, the Stargazer might have even been an older ship than the Reliant.

13. NCC-73515

Read the autobiography, it has a lot of background of his time on the Stargazer and the Reliant

14. Dukhat

Dukhat Admiral Admiral

What autobiography?

15. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

David A Goodman's The Autobiography of Jean-Luc Picard.

I wasn;t impressed.

16. Dukhat

Dukhat Admiral Admiral

Oh. Not really interested in what some non-canon novel states.

MrPicard likes this.
  17. NCC-73515

I found it well-written and it had nice depth concerning his life before the D.
    Many pictures from this book are in the First Duty exhibit that is explicitly tied to the Picard show.

I just checked - while he was a science officer on the Reliant, his first post as an ensign, he saved the ambassador on Milika III (as referenced by Q in Tapestry).

Last edited: Jan 5, 2020
    Tuskin38 likes this.
  18. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yeah I was about to say that. The Picture of him and the ENT-D Senior staff is from the book IIRC.

19. NCC-73515

Not only that real production photo, but also new pictures made for the book that show him as a younger man

20. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Fleet Admiral Admiral

That wasn't a real photo, it was a manipulation based on a real photo
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]