Picard: Short Trek??

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Picard' started by HaventGotALife, Jun 26, 2019.

1. HaventGotALife

HaventGotALife Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Showing Picard and Rene, on Earth, before Generations. Rene has just been bullied at school; Picard guides him. The scene closes on Rene staring out the window, at the stars.

Picard and Data discussing the matter, after Spock's mind meld on Romulus. I want it to be Spock, but c'est la vie.

Picard, as he is being assimilated flashes to the first day at the Academy.

Guinan's introduction to Picard, in the 24th century. Explain "beyond friendship."

Aboard the Stargazer, Picard has a life-altering experience (seasoning). A great time exploring. His dreams fulfilled.

Does anyone else have any thoughts on this?

2. Dukhat

Dukhat Admiral Admiral

So you’re not posting info that there’s an actual Picard-focused Short Trek, it’s just an idea you have? It would have been nice if you made that clear in the thread title.

137th Gebirg, BillJ and Lord Garth like this.
  3. Firebird

Firebird Commodore Commodore

On the Cinerama screen, in glorious Technicolor.
    Yes - move this thread to fan fiction without a title misleading people into thinking a Picard Short Trek is going to be a thing.

137th Gebirg and BillJ like this.
  4. ToyBoxComix

ToyBoxComix Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I think everyone involved looks too old for flashbacks that far back.

BillJ likes this.
  5. Qonundrum

Qonundrum Vice Admiral Admiral

And for as Short Trek, whatever purpose they ever had to begin with as they're too short and/or rushed and/or pointless, using a ton of money on CGI to de-age Data isn't going to fly. Maybe off-screen audio communication or body double or Data got a new body, albeit it's a toaster only this one doesn't drive the operator insane by incessantly asking for any baked bread products.

As for Guinan, if they're really having to deal with the gaps that should have been dealt with by the team that made the show 30 years ago, I'd rather see some more backstory between her and Q but preferably not the small universe syndrome way that Guinan knew Soran and Kirk and Chekov and Gilligan and the rest in the hit-or-miss-yet-not-unworthy "Generations". But by season 5, TNG wasn't about exploration of strange new life forms but increasing toward maudlin soap opera... :( At least season 7 tried to go back to some basics while keeping audiences' of suspension of disbelief going (for the most part)... :)

6. HaventGotALife

HaventGotALife Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

While I have not seen more than Patrick Stewart, I never intended to use to use the original actors at the Academy or in the Guinan scene, Stargazer.

7. Cyrus

Cyrus Vice Admiral Admiral

Kurtzman has said that each series (Picard, Lower Decks, etc) will have its own Short Treks.

8. Lord Garth

Lord Garth Admiral Admiral

Which effectively means there will probably eventually be a full-on Pike Series.

9. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

I’m not so sure. Seems kinda odd that CBS wasn’t ready to move forward immediately when they got the reaction to Mount and Peck that they did.

If they don’t strike while the iron is hot, they may lose any momentum.

10. Lord Garth

Lord Garth Admiral Admiral

I don't disagree. They have another shot after the Short is released.

BillJ likes this.
  11. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Mount isn't interested in a full on series.

BillJ likes this.
  12. BillJ

Was it he doesn’t want to do it, or that he didn’t want to do a show in Toronto?

13. Nerys Myk

He lives in New York, so Toronto isn't that far of a hop as Canadian film locations go. Impression I got was the amount of time away from his family.

BillJ likes this.
  14. Delta Vega

Delta Vega Commodore Commodore

I'm pretty sure that a massive paycheck will turn him onto 6 months filming away from his family

15. Nerys Myk

Possibly, but not everyone is swayed by money.

16. Serveaux

Serveaux Fleet Admiral Premium Member

Given the things that Mount is saying, it wouldn't be unreasonable to assume that he's expecting to have some discussions with CBS about some kind of commitment to work.

It may not turn out to be so, but that's very much what his statements sound like.

Remember, "If you say you're dying to do it, they can hire you for fifty cents."

17. BillJ

Isn’t his wife some kind of financial advisor? He may not need the money, and holding out for better working terms.

18. TPezz

TPezz Commander Red Shirt

For all we know there could already be a possible Pike series in the works. We know that it takes them years to finally get around to filming. Mount could possibly be holding out till more details are confirmed. It likely wouldn’t debut or film till at least 2021.

19. Noname Given

Noname Given Fleet Admiral Admiral

In addition to ST: ED season 3; CBS already has TWO more live action Trek series either in production (ST: Picard) or ramping up to go into production (ST: Section 31 starring Michelle Yeoh, who IS a big international action star that would get new people looking at Star Trek who might normally pass) - PLUS two animated Star Trek series in various stages of production (One for CBSAA - "Lower Decks" and one aimed at younger fans for Nickelodeon)...

IDK - but with all that on their plate (and money tied up) - no, it doesn't surprise me that they didn't immediately announce a 'Pike' series (they did plan a 'Short Trek' though and that probably wasn't originally planned); and I do think they are very much considering a 'Pike' series (or possibly greater involvement of the Pike, Spock, and Number One characters in the 'Section 31 series if contracts and scheduling can be worked out); but again, with so much already on their plate - not immediately announcing a 'Pike' series isn't a surprise. Nor does it mean they won't do it at some point.

urbandk likes this.
  20. eschaton

eschaton Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Anson Mount doesn't even have a "family" really. He has a wife but no children as of yet.

I suppose he could be talking about aging parents, but as far as I know, he's from Tennessee, which is presumably where his parents are located.