Spoilers Picard Movie & TV collection Blu Ray: A Rant

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by Lance, Dec 3, 2019.

1. Lance

Lance Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm just venting. ;) Yes, I know it doesn't really matter, yes I know the set is just an excuse to do a cheap repackage of existing discs again. But I really can't help fell the lost potential.

The aim of this set should have been to be a kind of primer for Picard. Include any episodes and movies that are strictly relevant to Picard. So, Best of Both Worlds and First Contact (the movie) are givens, but maybe throw Family in there as well. I feel like maybe Chain of Command too. Sarek and Unification as a bundle. I, Borg and the Descent two-parter (maybe edited into movie format) for the presence of Hugh. Nemesis for Data's death.

I don't know. Maybe I'm pissing in the wind. :D But it just feels like, there was more potential for this collection than to just be a Trekkie stocking filler for Christmas.

Am I wrong? :p

2. Green

Green Commander Red Shirt

Cheap repackage. that is it. No real work or thought going into it.

Lance likes this.
  3. King Bob!

King Bob! History’s Greatest Monster Premium Member

I doubt the people in charge of this had any idea what the new show is going to be about.

Lance likes this.
  4. DS9forever

DS9forever Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I was hoping they were going to remaster Emissary for this.

Lance likes this.
  5. Green

Green Commander Red Shirt

I fervently hope to see DS9 remastered in HD but the odds of them doing it for this set were about zero.

DS9forever and Lance like this.
  6. Lance

I just remember back to the good ol' days, when there'd be collections like the Fan Collective dvd sets, or even not that long ago with the likes of the Origins boxed set, where they'd make an effort to pick and choose episodes with great thought and compile them together. Just throwing together the already existing TNG movie discs we've been served up repeatedly for 10 years now, alongside the already existing discs for BOBW and Chain of Command... it feels like a hack job. The only justification I can think of for it is that it demonstrates fully that Paramount and CBS have officially re-merged together.

Hell, I'd almost prefer a set just containing all the current 'movie-length' edits (BOBW, Redemption, Unification, Chain of Command and All Good Things), along with movie edits of any other two-parters, (Descent, Gambit, Birthright, Time's Arrow, and Encounter at Farpoint for completist sake). Now that would be a TV Movie collection worth buying. ;)

7. Qonundrum

Qonundrum Commodore Commodore

Either the makers were selling this as a buildup to the sequel and opted to not include certain episodes due to space constraints, or because those episodes might upend their forward vision too much*, or because they're just chucking any old thing together as a sales opportunity due to name recognition only - of which the scripted episodes would follow the same level of quality. Which I doubt is the case but is a technical possibility. Either way, this set is for the more casual fans who might want a few episodes on permanent media but wouldn't want the entire series on their bookshelf... the extras alone might pull enough weight for established fans too.

* continuity needn't be 100% ironclad if the new material works** but Family, Sarek, and Chain of Command are sufficiently big Picard stories that they would be relevant to adhere to with continuity. I Borg and Descent could be overlooked; the fact ST FC the movie overlooked "Descent" already proves it's okay to ignore continuity to tell a better one if it's really done well. And now I understand the other POV that much better, as to why they would ignore Descent and throne a Queen and the rest...

** e.g. Voyager and the Borg kept me hooked despite it all, until season 6 or 7

Lance likes this.
  8. JesterFace

JesterFace Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

By this you mean the Borg becoming individual in TNG and suddenly it's collective again in the movies?

Qonundrum likes this.
  9. Lance

^ It seems to me that Picard is going to find a way to reconcile those two views of the Borg.

Qonundrum likes this.
  10. Qonundrum

Qonundrum Commodore Commodore

Yup. An idea dawned on me thanks to Lance, so I'll post that below at the end... but the TV show/movie never addressed the issue of the Borg being a single species becoming a gestalt of numerous species, which becomes harder to remember when rewatching I Borg (which by then was already after showing a human being assimilated so TNG at the time yet the 1701-D crew don't address that possibility, because the Borg are either a race or an amalgamation of races thanks to high technology but that alone does not create a new race as such, since the definition is based on genetic properties - unless the 24th century redefines the word by incorporating technological grafting into cellular structures, which then creates a whole new level of convolution... then again, that may not be as much of an issue since Dr Crusher was one frustrated over how the Borg implants were changing Picard's DNA, but whatever the microcircuit fibers were doing, it - for Picard or Seven or Hugh and Lew and Dew too, why not - was clearly temporary and the DNA rewrote itself back after the fibers were removed... and they can be recycled too, have you seen my new scarf and hanky knitted from fresh Borg microfiber? Those are nothing to sneeze at... :D )

Or the Collective figured out what was happening way out there in sector 008 and shunted them off the Collective? (Usually they just destruct rogue or damaged units, but the type of damage done was so chaotic... and then Lore found them, which was a stroke of brilliance. "Descent" could have been great but it didn't - or couldn't - create a new epic feel since there's no way TBOBW could be topped.)