Spoilers Picard Autobiography by David Goodman - Discussion and Review Thread

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by AutoAdmin, Mar 9, 2017.

?

Please rate the Picard Autobiography by David Goodman

1. Excellent

4 vote(s)
    26.7%
  2. Above Average

3 vote(s)
    20.0%
  3. Average

4 vote(s)
    26.7%
  4. Below Average

1 vote(s)
    6.7%
  5. Poor

3 vote(s)
    20.0%
  1. AutoAdmin

AutoAdmin Machine of Death Administrator

A new news article has been published at TrekToday:

A new autobiography of Jean-Luc Picard will be of interest to The Next Generation fans. Written by David A. Goodman (The Autobiography...

Continue reading...

Markonian and Ethros like this.
  2. King Bob!

King Bob! Fleet Admiral Admiral

Goodman did a nice job with Kirk, will definitely pick this up. Though I hope they don't go to this well again after Picard.

3. Tomalak

Tomalak Vice Admiral Admiral

I don't know, the autobiography of the Emissary of the Prophets might be quite a read. Though Sisko's main trait was being a normal bloke thrust into extraordinary events rather than being a super genius polymath like Picard.

Sto-Vo-Kory and Tim Thomason like this.
  4. Idran

Idran Commodore Premium Member

I don't know that I'd call him a super genius polymath. He had some particular fields he excelled at, but he also had over 35 years of experience in Starfleet going into TNG, including 22 years as captain of the Stargazer. I think the only time we've ever had any Starfleet officer with more previous experience as of day 1 of their show was Tuvok, and that's almost cheating.

Still, your overall point holds, yeah.

5. Tosk

Tosk Vice Admiral Admiral

So which episode or movie will be treated as though it never happened this time? ;)

SolarisOne, Markonian, jaime and 2 others like this.
  6. flandry84

flandry84 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

/\Hopefully 'Rascals'.
    Now if only I could wipe it from my memory.:D

7. Stevil2001

Stevil2001 Vice Admiral Admiral

I won't hear a word against "Rascals." "He's my... number one dad" is GENIUS.

8. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Admiral Admiral

I have to admit, hearing about Shades of Grey from Picard's perspective is a must.

"Data and I went to sickbay to visit Commander Riker after his surgery. Will was obviously his usual self, making a joke about being me, to which I responded and jokingly referred to Data as an Admiral. Data didn't get it."

SolarisOne and David cgc like this.
  9. Thrawn

Thrawn Rear Admiral Premium Member

I unironically adore that episode. No joke. Riker at the bridge control flummoxing the Ferengi, Ro and Guinan with the real talk... love it. Love it.

10. Tosk

I like Rascals, but I wish they had made the takeover of the Enterprise believable.

jaime likes this.
  11. Titus Andronicus

Titus Andronicus Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I am looking forward to this novel, as I loved the Kirk autobiography.

I am curious as to when the "autobiography" will be written--I assume after the events of Star Trek Nemesis just to avoid having to talk about the post-NEM novels. Either way it should be a fun read. I'm actually intrigued most by what Picard will say about, for example, the Dominion War (which were only briefly mentioned in the TNG films) or how he came to terms with his battles against the Borg.

Markonian likes this.
  12. King Daniel Beyond

King Daniel Beyond Admiral Admiral

I was hoping we'd get The Autobiography of Spock next.

But this is interesting, too.

Keeper likes this.
  13. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Goodman's previous books for that publisher haven't hesitated to ignore the novels and strike their own contradictory path. For instance, his version of the Earth-Romulan War in Federation: The First 150 Years is completely irreconcilable with the novels' version. It's always been the norm for Trek tie-ins from different licensees to be in their own incompatible continuities, which is why the times they do cross over are exceptional enough to be noteworthy.

14. 137th Gebirg

137th Gebirg Vice Admiral Premium Member

Not a big reader, myself. Just don't have the time to sit down and read something at length, but I would love to see this and the Kirk AB adapted for audio-book format and read by Stewart and Shatner, respectively. It would give them both an opportunity to get back into character one more time. Although, I suspect if the Kirk one had not been done like that by now during the course of the past 2 years, it probably never will, as well as this new one.

15. Ethros

Ethros Vice Admiral Admiral

Absolutely loved the Kirk one, and through it I was thinking it would be great if there were a Picard one, so cannot wait for this :techman:

The only thing with a Sisko one is they're written as though it's obviously them sitting down to write their autobiography. When would Sisko have done it? Just before he went to the fire caves? Possible I suppose but slightly coincidental.

On the subject of Final Frontier/Rascals, I'm guessing a Janeway one would ignore Threshold? ;)

16. Tosk

Break it up a little instead and present it as Sisko's journal. Or a collection of selected Captain's logs. It doesn't have to have been written all at once at some late point in his life.

Me too. And I'm still waiting for A Stitch in Time read by the author. Maybe someday...

17. JonnyQuest037

JonnyQuest037 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I really enjoyed The Autobiography of James T. Kirk (I read it in about two days, I think), so I'm looking forward to this one. I agree that a Spock biography would be really interesting, though.

18. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

William Shatner did do a live reading of some excerpts at one of the San Diego Comic Cons.

19. Titus Andronicus

Titus Andronicus Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Ah good point! Completely forgot about that.

20. Danlav05

Danlav05 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Does anyone know who the powers that be are to lobby for such audiobooks?!