Peter Berg Wants "Friday Night Lights" Back on the Big Screen

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by PsychoPere, Jul 18, 2011.

1. PsychoPere

PsychoPere Vice Admiral Premium Member

This little story started on (where else these days?) Twitter, where Bill Simmons tweeted:
    TV Line then picked up the story and confirmed that Peter Berg is working "behind-the-scenes" to take the television series version to the big screen, while noting that "In addition to book rights, there are multiple production companies, Imagine and NBC’s production arm, Universal Media Studios, involved."

I didn't start watching FNL until a few months ago, when I watched the first four seasons through Netflix's Watch Instantly service. I now deeply regret that I hadn't watched the series from day one, because I was surprised at how good it was. I no longer bother trying to "rank" shows for the most part, but I'd have to say Friday Night Lights is one of the best television shows I've ever seen. I don't know quite how to feel about Berg's intention to try to make this happen. The series finale ended so perfectly that I don't think there's really any need for more story with Eric and Tami Taylor, but at the same time I know I'd end up in the movie theater anyway if this were to come to fruition.

(Also, if fans haven't done so already, I highly suggest reading An Oral History of Friday Night Lights.)

2. od0_ital

od0_ital Admiral Admiral

I watched the series finale the other day, and while I hate that the show is over, I'm really okay with how it ended.

No need for a movie, in my opinion, and I have been watchin' the show since it premiered.

I was even in an episode!

3. Obiwanshinobi

Obiwanshinobi Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Will they explain where Billy Bob Thorton went?

4. od0_ital

od0_ital Admiral Admiral

^

Why would they?

The movie was mostly true story based on a book about the Odessa-Permian Panthers. Odessa, Texas is a real place near the Texas Panhandle.

The tv series was a fictional story about small town Texas football and the way a community like that works set in the non-existant town of Dillion, Texas, and was supposed to be not too far from Austin. Though "small town" may not be the best way to put it, since it managed to have slums, a strip club & an Alamo Drafthouse movie theater.

5. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Vice Admiral Admiral

I tried watching the pilot and couldn't get through the brats of football players.

However I regret not buying it when Target had the first two seasons in a bundle for $15.

6. od0_ital

od0_ital Admiral Admiral

^

'cause that's a good deal for a show ya didn't like?

:confused:

7. PsychoPere

^ For years I ignored the show because I had the pre-conceived notion that it was "that football show," so perhaps he thought such an inexpensive price was worth paying to give the show a second chance.

8. PsychoPere

After NBC's TCA panel today, Berg confirmed that work has already started on a script with Jason Katims involved, and that he hopes to start filming next year.

9. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Vice Admiral Admiral

I swear I replied to this.

I only watchedthe pilot, and that was on the computer. I watched 5-6 episodes of Six Feet Under before liking it and now I love it. For $15 I could watch the first season, decide and then sell they for more than I bought them for. I learned my lesson and bought blind Damages seasons 1 and 2 for really cheap at Target. For such a price I should have given the show a second chance.