Patrick Stewart looks super fragile.

Discussion in 'Future of Trek' started by gakelly, May 4, 2019.

1. gakelly

gakelly Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

He is going to be 79 years old in July.
    He looks..well...79 years old.
    I can't imagine how he is going to be making a bunch of shows for a television series.
    His voice is barely audible in most instances.

Is the show going to be Picard having flashbacks to his youth, and a younger actor will play him?

In Too Short a Season, Picard says it best when he questions Admiral Jamison and the fact that he is 80 years old...

Armus likes this.
  2. Reyman

Reyman Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

The deterioration of his voice is definitely a concern. I saw an interview a while back and he had to have honey at hand. I'm assuming it's because of his voice.

Wish it wasn't the case, but the raspiness of his voice makes for very uncomfortable listening.

mos6507 likes this.
  3. STEPhon IT

STEPhon IT Commodore Commodore

This shows how desperate CBS is to get more subscriptions to their ALLACCESS service. Whatever the navel gazers are thinking about DISCO it is not the lofty success they think it is, and CBS has to milk the well and throw sh*t at the wall hoping it'll stick. Patrick Stewart can not carry the entire franchise like he once did in the 80's; was young and compelling figure to watch every episode of TNG. Now, he's an old man, withering away. If I'm watching this limited series I expect to see Patrick Stewart and not Tom Hardy or any other young actor to play Picard until that series ends.

Admiral2 and Armus like this.
  4. King Daniel Beyond

King Daniel Beyond Fleet Admiral Admiral

He's playing a 79 year old, not a 39 year old. It won't be TNG movie Vest Picard kicking ass. All this is expected.

5. Armus

Armus Commodore Commodore

I want to see a 24th century depiction of a nursing home! Episode 1: Picard drinks tea while Geordi stops by to say Hi. Episode 2: Troi comes over and makes him soup. Episode 3: Picard calls Wesley to see how he is doing...

Last edited: May 4, 2019
    Thowra, Unicorn, ITDUDE and 3 others like this.
  6. The Butter Phantom

The Butter Phantom Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

You talk so much shit, you shouldn't have an opinion.

TPezz and Kzinti like this.
  7. The Old Mixer

The Old Mixer Mih ssim, mih ssim, nam, daed si Xim. Moderator

Mixer left his home in Somewhere, Connecticut
    The Golden Rule here is "the post, not the poster". If I see a remark like that again, you'll get a Warning.

Captain Jed R., Ruufio, Armus and 4 others like this.
  8. Jayson1

Jayson1 Vice Admiral Admiral

I think his age will only be a issue with any fight scenes. Also the guy does voice work like on "American Dad" so I wouldn't worry about that, plus you can go dub your dialogue afterwords if needed. Plus we are talking maybe 13 episodes instead of 26 and I also assume a much more friendly shooting schedule than 5 to 6 days like how old school tv shows use to work and I guess still do for network stuff.

Jason

9. NewHeavensNewEarth

NewHeavensNewEarth Captain Captain

That's an amazingly condescending remark toward him and toward the project. Patrick Stewart is approaching this project with zeal, not as something CBS is somehow forcing him to do, and fans should be grateful that he wants to step into the role again. It would be bizarre if his voice and appearance hadn't changed over the decades, so it's odd to be launching attacks over that. He's an incredible actor who deserves more respect than that.

10. The Butter Phantom

Yes, good people on both sides. Got it.

11. The Butter Phantom

I'm willing to bet we get exactly 0 fight scenes with Picard this entire series.

Turtletrekker likes this.
  12. King Daniel Beyond

King Daniel Beyond Fleet Admiral Admiral

But about 900 speeches.

Paul Weaver, Jedman67, KimMH and 2 others like this.
  13. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

Well, that's the pilot, and £3 million dollar ampitheatre conference room covered, but what about the rest of season 1?

Jedman67 and King Daniel Beyond like this.
  14. Armus

Armus Commodore Commodore

No disrespect intended but Patrick Stewart was getting tired by the 6th season of TNG in 1992. I will be pleasantly surprised if he's a good fit for a new series. It's wise man who knows when its time to hang up his holster.

15. Jayson1

Jayson1 Vice Admiral Admiral

Well he does have health issues from what I understand. Could be arthritis but I think they will be able to work around that. I think this show is going to be more cerebral keeping more in spirit of TNG. The only difference I think is it will have a little bit more cynicism in it but not to some grim "Seven" type of, everything is horrible and nothing matters type of way.

Jason

16. Alan Roi

Alan Roi Commodore Captain

He seemed pretty animated and physical in Blunt Talk just a couple y years ago. just watch that and tell me he's frail. I doubt that he would have taken on the series if he didn't feel up to it.

17. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk Kang, now with ridges Premium Member

Seemed fine on Graham Norton a few month's back.

Kemaiku, SolarisOne and Alan Roi like this.
  18. Dukhat

Dukhat Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Patrick Stewart is just fine. I’m more concerned whether the show will suck rather than how old the guy is. And if the show does suck, it won’t be because Stewart is 79; it will be because the writing is crap.

Longinus, Rahul, Brass and 1 other person like this.
  19. Ovation

Ovation Vice Admiral Admiral

Yawn.

20. Ar-Pharazon

Ar-Pharazon Vice Admiral Premium Member

Star Wreck 5.jpg