Paramount's first 4K UHD Blu-ray release is a $47.99 Star Trek combo pack

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by RAMA, Apr 5, 2016.

1. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

http://www.theverge.com/2016/4/5/11367592/star-trek-4k-ultra-hd-blu-ray-paramount

2. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

I'm honestly not sure why The Verge is bitching about the pricing on this one. Assuming the price to consumers is $30 (an assumption this article makes), that's only $2 more than Amazon is selling the Compendium set.

Unless Paramount Home Video bungles this release, this should have everything in the Comepndium (including the films on standard Blu-Ray and digitally)...plus the new 4K versions, too.

Kor likes this.
  3. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Doesn't sound like a bad deal, I just want to wait for 2nd generation players before I jump in.

4. Kor

Kor Fleet Admiral Admiral

What's so extreme about this price? Stores such as FYE and Barnes and Noble still price a lot of new 1080p blu-ray movies at more than $30 each.

And back around 2000 or so, I paid almost $30 (adjust for inflation, that's almost $40 in today's money) for the first DVD release of ST6:TUC, with the screwy aspect ratio and no special features (and in standard definition, of course). A decade and a half later, you get a lot more for your money.

Kor

Last edited: Apr 5, 2016
  5. shapeshifter

shapeshifter Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It's a low price now because so is demand. Just wait till we all have 4K TVs and players, begin upgrading our collections, (:scream:) again. As demand goes up so will the prices. This shit is all deja vu to me. It's happened before time and time again.

6. Ovation

Ovation Admiral Admiral

Except that every format has seen a decline in price over time, not an increase. VHS tapes started out as 100$+ in the mid-80s (at least twice that with inflation). DVDs were 30-40$ a pop (and players were 1000$) in the late 90s. Blu-ray players were half as much (less than half with inflation) and while some are 30-40$ at retail (again, less than late 90s pricing with inflation), street prices are a lot lower than that. And each time, video and audio quality has improved.

Kor likes this.
  7. shapeshifter

shapeshifter Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Oops! Sorry, my bad. Sequencing order brain fart. <shoves crayon up nose to reboot>

8. ATimson

ATimson Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It's $30 each, not $30 for the two together.

9. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

Ah, I see. Thanks for the correction. That's a little steep, but that's to be expected with a new format. Either way, it doesn't matter to me. I'll hold off on 4K until my current TV dies.

10. ATimson

ATimson Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

While I'm holding off on the new TV, I'm still keeping an eye out for bargains on bundles now rather than paying more later to upgrade discs. (I'll happily pay the ~$6 more for the 4K copy of Deadpool just to futureproof it...)

BillJ likes this.
  11. JoeZhang

JoeZhang Vice Admiral Admiral

If only things went on sale! But no we live in a world when the retail price never changes...

BillJ likes this.
  12. Shalashaska

Shalashaska Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

So they're releasing another combo pack on regular Blu-ray too?

Countries outside the US still haven't even gotten Into Darkness with all of its extras from The Compendium set. Hopefully this is a worldwide release rather another US-exclusive.

Also, I would have thought it'd be smarter to wait until Beyond releases and therefore have a trilogy set.

13. JoeZhang

JoeZhang Vice Admiral Admiral

Given blurays tend not to be regioned - why not just buy from Amazon.com when it is on a deal.

14. Shalashaska

Shalashaska Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I'm not still not 100% sure about Blu-rays and whether they're region-locked or region-free, it seems like some are and some aren't.

Amazon.com says The Compendium is for Region 1/A, making me a little wary of importing it.

15. Kor

If you are wondering whether a particular "Region A" blu ray release is actually region locked, there's a great site that has reviews on many blu rays, www.blu-ray.com. I think they list every release from every country, but, typically, the Region A releases have the most notes on video and audio quality, region-locking, a review of the actual movie and special features, etc.

For example, for the Compendium set, it shows "region free" under the playback notes: http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Star-Trek-The-Compendium-Blu-ray/107044/
    And you can click the "Region coding" tab for a few more notes on that.

Not all movies will necessarily have complete notes, though. I believe much of the content is user-submitted, so somebody has to verify whether a disc is region locked or not; otherwise it might say something like "Playback: Region A (Region B, C untested)."

I think the Criterion Collection is pretty strict about region-locking all their releases. Most of the listings for their stuff say "Region A (locked)." But I digress...

Kor

Shalashaska and RAMA like this.
  16. Apparition B5

Apparition B5 Commander Red Shirt

I pre-ordered both the 2009 Star Trek and Star Trek Into Darkness 4K Ultra HD Blu-Rays from Amazon. I don't have a 4K Ultra HD Blu-Ray player yet, but as they both come with Blu-Ray discs in addition, I figure it would be smart to future proof.

The price is a wee bit high, but it will come down. The price of the Star Trek Into Darkness 4K Ultra HD Blu-Ray has already been lowered from $48 to $43 since I pre-ordered it. Even then, the price of 4K Ultra HD Blu-Ray discs will come down over the next few years, just as Blu-Ray discs did and DVDs before it.

17. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

That's pretty unlikely.

DVD has pretty much complete market penetration (almost every house has something that will play DVD's) and will remain the dominant form of physical media until the market dies and everything is streamed.

Bluray hasn't taken off in the same way - there's a lot of people watching DVD's on their HDTV's unaware that they're watching SD (or aware and unconcerned) and although the Bluray format is fairly popular, I've still had to get a lot of stuff on DVD as it'll probably never get a Bluray release.

UHD / 4K will obviously sell. It's unlikely to sell in quantities approaching even Bluray though. Tech enthusiasts are a smallish group and will just about support the release, but the general public, who don't even do Bluray and the genre fans who can't even get DS9 or Voyager on Bluray won't be greatly engaged.

And as I said, physical media is on the way out...

18. 137th Gebirg

137th Gebirg Admiral Premium Member

Anyone here remember when TWOK came out on VHS tape back in the mid-late 80's and it cost $99.99? I do. Saved up all summer for that little bastard!

$33? Feh...

BillJ, Relayer1 and Kor like this.
  19. Kor

This.

The very concept of owning movies to watch at home (instead of renting, for those who even had a VCR) used to be almost a luxury, for the film connoisseurs... and the quality was primitive by contemporary standards.

We really have things easy now in this regard. I have more movies than I know what to do with. :lol:

Kor

Relayer1 and Ovation like this.
  20. Apparition B5

Apparition B5 Commander Red Shirt

As long as data caps are in place (and they are in most of the U.S.A. at least), there will be physical media. 4K Ultra HD takes up a lot of bandwidth. Right now, Comcast has a 300 gigabyte monthly data cap. They're raising it to one terabyte next month, but even a terabyte won't last long if you're streaming a lot of 4K Ultra HD content.