Overrated Or Underrated...

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Voyager' started by Farscape One, Dec 12, 2019.

1. Farscape One

Farscape One Vice Admiral Admiral

I was inspired by a thread with the same title that Prax created, so my thanks to you for inspiring this.

There are numerous episodes of VOYAGER that could fall into either category... some episodes may even fall into BOTH at the same time. I thought it would be interesting to discuss some of them.

"CATHEXIS" - I have always loved this episode, and I feel like I am in the extreme minority. I thought it was well directed, with a very kinetic pace... something of a hallmark of Kim Friedman directed episodes. The story was quite clever, too... the alien possessing the crew from time to time was Chakotay trying to save everyone. The sense of paranoia throughout the episode really worked, and was used best in this season as it was the first and the crew didn't really know each other quite that well yet. Vastly underrated episode.

"THE THAW" - Another favorite of mine. I've seen people either love or hate it equally. Honestly, what better representation of fear can there be but a clown? Very well done episode by Joe Menosky, and wonderfully acted by Michael McKeon as The Clown. Underrated episode for sure.

"WORST CASE SCENARIO" - One of the most fun episodes of the series, it's the most clever use of the 'what if' question when it comes to how a pilot episode could have turned out. The Maquis could have attempted to take over the ship, and Tuvok was preparing a holodeck training for just that possibility. Having Tuvok and Tom go through that ordeal with holo-Seska was a lot of fun to watch. Same with Janeway's attempts to help. Vastly underrated.

Any others come to mind, folks? Share your thoughts!

Prax likes this.
  2. The_Baron

The_Baron Captain Captain

I do really like Worst Case Scenario.

The other two mentioned are somewhat 'meh' not the worst episodes but, nothing special either.

3. cosmic mouse

cosmic mouse Commodore Commodore

This is my 2nd favorite ep of season 1 (Caretaker is still my fav)... I love the horror vibes and body-hopping alien in Cathexis. I also like the involvement of virtually the entire crew. It's one of those eps where there isn't a focal point character (that I can recall- haven't seen this one in awhile). This is also one of the issues I have seen cited by those who denigrate this one, (disjointed, no focus on one character) but I agree it's really underrated.

Prax and Thomas Eugene like this.
  4. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

Worst Case Scenario has always been s popular episode hasn’t it?

The only negative I can think of is an issue with the premise. It’s hard to imagine Seska would have done that when she never expected to get caught. It’s basically committing murder and leaving a signed confession at the scene.

Qonundrum likes this.
  5. RocketQueen

RocketQueen Ensign Red Shirt

I always see a lot of fans highly rating The Thaw. I couldn't stand that episode...not because it wasn't great but because I have deep and abiding fear of clowns that made it hard to watch.

I am not sure what is generally considered overrated and underrated episodes of Voyager being relatively new to the fandom but I really liked Shattered...mostly because of the end scene with the crew from all the different times coming together.

The nurse in me also highly rates Critical Care because it is depressingly accurate to our health care system...still.

Anna Yolei likes this.
  6. Farscape One

Farscape One Vice Admiral Admiral

I have a real problem with clowns, too. Which is why he is the perfect representation of fear. At least for me. I find it just unnatural for someone to be that jolly and smiling ALL THE TIME. It's reeks of creepiness. Add the painted face to accentuate the artificialness of the person, and it just makes me wonder why I seem to be in the minority, at least of anyone I know, of finding clowns ultra creepy and scary.

7. virtualvoyager

virtualvoyager Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

I think the Equinox episode should of continued for four episodes. Hell, perhaps intertwine it for the rest of season 6.

8. Anna Yolei

Anna Yolei Vice Admiral Admiral

The terribleness of "Threshold" is extremely overrated IMO. It's certainly not Emmy level writing, but I can think of at least five episodes between TNG and DS9 aka the Golden Children of the Trek franchise that were far more offensive at their very core. This was a pretty good first half followed by wacky fanfiction shenanigans but the concept wasn't DOA imo.