Oshawa Ontario train derailment

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Trippy, Jun 5, 2009.

1. Trippy

Trippy NaNoWriMo Victim Admiral

2. SicOne

SicOne Commodore Commodore

Trippy, I hope there are no haz-mat (hazardous material) cars!

3. Trippy

So far, one car had hydrogen peroxide (non-toxic) but no updates on the others (one was on fire too)

I live by a fire station, and have seen every truck leave so far, and can hear about three choppers. I live just north on the same street as my dad, but I'm a safe distance.

4. Trippy

Just a snap of the worst of the pile-up.

[​IMG]

:eek: What a mess to clean up!

5. Ruaidhri

Ruaidhri Commodore Commodore

Ruaidhri...Toronto in body, Philly in spirit!
    All those tanker cars are a little worrisome, but if hydrogen peroxide is the worst thing in there, then a lucky break all things considered.

6. Trippy

^that's why the evacuation, which is still in effect.

The back end of the train:

[​IMG]

7. trampledamage

trampledamage Clone Admiral

oh my goodness! Can you imagine seeing a train car ploughing through the hedge of your back yard!

I haven't followed the links yet - I hope no-one was badly hurt.

8. Trippy

No one was thank goodness!

Just saw interviews with the owners of those houses. One guy was gardening in the backyard when the train derailed (eventually landing on his shed) and said he thought for sure he was gonna die (he was shaking, crying) and ran to the driveway 'round his house (as did all his neighbours)

Some shaken up residents for sure. They are still concerned about the breeze and fumes, so my dad still can't go home. He's going to have dinner with his brother in the next city over.

9. trampledamage

trampledamage Clone Admiral

Well, good that your dad has somewhere to go at least!

10. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

That's great that there are no injuries; I hope everybody gets to go home soon.

11. Trippy

They're letting my dad go home now--I don't know about the houses that are directly at the site.

Apparently all the liquid cannisters were full of hydrogen peroxide--mostly harmless.

The road (a popular, busy main street) south of the accident will probably be closed for at least a week while they clean up.

12. Daneel

Daneel Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Holy crap! It's amazing --and extremely fortunate-- that no one got hurt. This is the first I've heard of this... I should really watch the news more.

Glad to hear your dad's okay, Trippy!

13. Ariadne

Ariadne Vice Admiral Admiral

I was wondering what was screwing with traffic... (I live between Toronto and Oshawa, atm)

ETA: I didn't mean to sound so cold-hearted - I was glad to hear that nobody was hurt.

14. SicOne

SicOne Commodore Commodore

It's always interesting to watch the auto racks accordion like that (intermodal cars do the same); they don't have to be moving very fast to do that, either. How fast was the train going? Did they derail, or hit another train?

15. Brolan

Brolan Commodore Commodore

About ten years ago a train derailed about a 1/2 mile from my house in Sartell/Sauk Rapids Minnesota. Loudest noise I ever heard in my life, and it seemed to go on forever.

If I had to live in a house just off the railroad tracks I would pour some concrete pillars, with big footings, to give my home some protection from a derailment.

16. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

The Red Line and Commuter rail passes by my house, but there's a big parking lot between them and my backyard, so I'm unlikely to suffer any damage if anything happened.

17. propita

propita Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Glad to hear no one was hurt--including your Dad.

Here in Fresno, there's trains going through the middle of the city ALL THE TIME! Right next to city hall and a major hospital. Supposedly, they're trying to make a deal with the railroads to switch heavy traffic to the west--but since they're different railroads, everyone wants money. This is one time I wouldn't mind the Federal Government stepping in--I don't think the State can do anything, since it's railroads. Interstate commerce and all that.

A year or two back, there was a very slight derailment (or some kind of problem) with a car carrying something you would not want in a residential area. So where was it? In a residential area and immediately adjacent to Fresno City College. I believe officials were concerned about an explosion--a really really big explosion. That's what led to the "we gotta move these trains" idea.

18. RobertVA

RobertVA Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

In many cases those homes, businesses and public buildings were built long after the rail line was built and carrying material that would be hazardous if spilled. It's pretty common for those communities to develop near the railroad to be close to businesses that use the railroad to receive raw materials or ship their products.

I don't have a very high opinion of anyone that builds or buys a home near a railroad and subsequently wants the rail line moved or trains rerouted because of the noise (horns or general engine and wheel noises) or accident potential.

19. Trippy

The residents who live by the tracks were only allowed to go home yesterday...and the overpass is open now, and I guess all the Sunday drivers parked there to take a good look!

They've been cleaning up the spills, but the cars are still just the same as where they've sat since the accident.

They still don't know what happened.