Spoilers Orville Comics and Novels (potentially) thread

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by aventinelover, Mar 8, 2019.

1. aventinelover

aventinelover Lieutenant Red Shirt

My sincerest apologies to the moderators up front since this is not strictly Star Trek but The Orville is certainly the next best thing and definitely a close cousin so I'd argue this counts as Trek Lit. I've commented before on various threads here about my wish to see novels set in The Orville universe, preferably written by veteran Trek writers, like Dayton Ward, who I think would be perfect for this show with mix of humor and technobabble wrapped in a Trek-like cocoon. Well, there's no news on novels yet, but I did see today that Dark Horse is putting out a 4 issue The Orville comic series, starting in July. I love both novels and comics so this is definitely the next best thing to my desired novels, and I hope one more step on the path to getting those books finally written and in hand.

This was one of the best pieces of news I've seen in quite a while and I for one, Cannot Wait.

BillJ, Sto-Vo-Kory and Indysolo like this.
  2. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

The Orville is not Star Trek, just an imitator. If everything that copied or parodied Star Trek were lumped into the same forum, we'd have to include Buck Rogers in the 25th Century, Quark, Babylon 5, Galaxy Quest, and maybe others as well. This belongs in the general SF & Fantasy forum.

3. ryan123450

ryan123450 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I for one am glad you posted this here, as I had not heard this, and I don’t frequent the other boards.

4. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

Yeah. Works for me, too. It's of associational interest.

5. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Saw the news earlier today, and the only thing that would make me happier was the announcement of Orville novels by Dayton Ward, and/or KRAD.

6. Reanok

Reanok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'd like Orville novels to come out by Dayton Ward or KRAD.

7. Indysolo

Indysolo Commodore Commodore

There's enough Star Trek music in The Orville to make it count. ;)

8. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

It's gotta be Peter David, surely?

BillJ and Sto-Vo-Kory like this.
  9. Reanok

Reanok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Peter David would be good to write the Orville too.As long as he doesn't do the overused superhero powers he gave to certain characters in the New Frontier series.I got tired of that and quit reading those books.

Sto-Vo-Kory and KimMH like this.
  10. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I didn't think of him, but he would be a good fit too.

F. King Daniel likes this.
  11. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

There are threads in the Trek Lit forum discussing other franchises, so an Orville thread is fair game. Hell, several years back we even had a thread devoted to John Scalzi's Redshirts in Trek Lit.
    I seriously love this fanmade cover image of an Orville novel.
    https://goo.gl/images/XTsvuK

12. KimMH

KimMH Drinking your old posts Premium Member

Sorry @King Daniel Beyond - agree that PAD goes too weird too fast. His run on X-Factor was germinal but his New Frontier became unreadable.

13. Dayton Ward

Dayton Ward Word Pusher Rear Admiral

Well, you all have convinced me. Now I want Dayton Ward to write an Orville novel, too.

BillJ, DrCorby, Kertrats47 and 10 others like this.
  14. Defcon

Defcon Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Sorry, but I don't see the appeal of Orville. I guess it was supposed to be an humorous homage to Star Trek, but the couple of episodes I saw were unfunny retreats of the worst TNG tropes. It neither works as comedy, since its humor isn't original or especially entertaining, nor as an homage, since when you strip it of the humor it feels like they decided to film TNG scripts that were scraped for being to repetitive and boring and not something “celebrating“ the source material.

So, although I'm sure all three of them would create something wortwhile, I would rather see KRAD and PAD return to Treklit proper and Dayton to write more of it than to have them work on OrvilleLit.

Though I guess PAD would actually be able to make the TV show entertaining if he were to become showrunner of Orville.

Alwaystrekkin likes this.
  15. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

I will probably get it for completionist reasons (I collected the "Galaxy Quest" comics too, although I loved that movie. Haven't gotten around to reading the comics yet.)

A few years ago, I also bought the two-volume manga-style "Ringworld" b/w graphic novels, 'cos they had kzinti in them, but I got castigated for mentioning them here on this bbs. My fondness for "Ringworld" stems from a time when I had totally run out of Trek novels to read. I rummaged in a book shop, found a pristine copy of Niven's novel - and the first sequel happened to come out in MMPB a few weeks later! Life savers!

I do get some enjoyment from "The Orville" but, for me, I'd always rather be watching actual Trek. A comic mini-series is one of those must-haves to keep my collection intact. ;)
    https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/foxs-orville-flies-comics-july-1192981

Last edited: Mar 13, 2019
    KimMH likes this.
  16. Danlav05

Danlav05 Commodore Commodore

So how many San Diego ComiCons until a TNG/Orville crossover mini series is announced?!

17. DrCorby

DrCorby Captain Captain

That manga wasn't a bad adaptation of the novel, with one of the better depictions of a puppeteer that I've seen. Ringworld remains one of my favorite SF novels of all time. Have you read Niven's short story, "The Soft Weapon"? The story he adapted to become the TAS episode "The Slaver Weapon"? I thought the story worked well in both versions, especially giving Spock, Uhura, and Sulu interesting things to do outside their normal shipboard duties.

18. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

And Trek is just a Forbidden Planet imitator. Just because Trek does military space sci-fi doesn't mean it has a corner on the market.

19. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

Yes indeed! It's what made me realise I really liked Niven's writing. I was very excited to meet him at an Australian convention, although he was dry and humourless, which seemed totally at odds with the personality of his writing. I gave him a copy of my Trek aliens art zine, which featured a kzin. (He's holding the zine in the pic.)

A few years later we met again in New Zealand. The kiwi fans took him to the hotel bar - and he loosened up and was such fun!
    [​IMG]
    Larry Niven at Galaxy Bookshop, 1985
    by Ian McLean, on Flickr

DrCorby likes this.
  20. thribs

thribs Vice Admiral Admiral

With Dark Horse doing it we’re more likely to get a Alien crossover first than a Trek one.