Orion Pirates

Discussion in 'Trek Gaming' started by archeryguy1701, Nov 1, 2007.

1. archeryguy1701

archeryguy1701 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Well, I guess I couldn't lurk bbs forever... :)
    I have a question for you folks. I have SFC: Orion Pirates which I was running on my current computer (previously Windows ME) and another one in my house (XP Pro) and it was working fine. Recently I did a clean install of XP Pro on my personal ME machine and now I am unable to make Pirates work.

I can get it to install and start up, but when I need to put in the product code, it isn't recognising my keyboard... everytime I try to type something, it'll just ding at me, so it knows the keyboard is there, it just won't let it do anything. Today I went and updated the keyboard drivers to see if that would help, but that wasn't the issue. Any suggestions?

2. MANT!

MANT! Vice Admiral Admiral

Use your mouse to set the cursor on the product code block...that worked for me...

3. archeryguy1701

While I appreciate that someone answered, your suggestion is something that I have checked, double checked, triple checked, and even got on one more time just to be sure before writing this. The cursor is in the block, it just won't let any typing happen.

4. MANT!

Geeze try to give someone a little help..... ok try the "windows" key to put the application in the background, then click on it with the mouse to put it into the foreground....and please, I can't use my psycotic powers to understand what was done prior to your post...so be prepared to receive a few redundant suggestions... :thumbsup:

5. archeryguy1701

First off, I would like to say sorry about that... yesterday was a bad day and rereading my post it does sound slightly angry. So, again, I apologize.
    I just jumped on, tried the windows key, and it worked! So, thanks for the help! Do you know why that did the trick, just out of curiosity?

6. MANT!

It's a fault in the game and how it relates to Windows on startup...sometimes you have to do the same thing as each mission begins to enable the keyboard..otherwise you can only use the mouse...

7. Cary L. Brown

Cary L. Brown Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I had this problem on my laptop, but don't have the same issue on my desktop. In the case of my laptop, its using a standard Microsoft generic driver, but my desktop uses a multifunction keyboard with its own driver (the same driver it used in 98SE, by the way).

It seems likely that the issue is related to the generic Windows keyboard driver, then, at least to me.

I never DID find a solution on my laptop, except for using an external keyboard (a "virtually indestructible keyboard" like this, which I usually keep in the pouch of my laptop bag anyway).

http://store.grandtec.com/virinkey.html

This seemed to help, even though I still was restricted to the standard Windows driver. Hmmm...