Original Enterprise Systems Diagrams

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by uniderth, Nov 9, 2019.

1. uniderth

uniderth Commodore Commodore

I'm working on a video that will explain how the systems work on the original Enterprise based on onscreen evidence. As part of this I'm creating some diagrams to help illustrate who these systems work.

This is my first draft for the warp drive fuel flow pattern. Basically a small amount of matter and anti-matter fuel flows from the nacelles into reactor number 3. The output of this reactor controls the matter anti-matter reaction of reactors 1 and 2 in the nacelles(the domes).

[​IMG]

In future diagrams I'll be showing how the power systems work.

Warped9, The Lensman, Donny and 8 others like this.
  2. Yonder Star

Yonder Star Commodore Premium Member

Nice TOS-style diagram. :techman:

The "bypass" in dialog was, "The emergency bypass control of the matter-antimatter integrator is fused." Though it may apply to just the antimatter fuel, it may also be a single control valve that shunts/bypasses both fuels at the same time. Just a thought.

StarCruiser and uniderth like this.
  3. uniderth

Yes, I considered that too. The reason I did it this way is because when Losira describes the function of the bypass it is specifically related to anti-matter. Though, I could easily be convinced to have it apply to both the matter and anti-matter fuel lines.

Additionally, right now it's designed as a vent, I might provide a path back to the anti matter tanks rather than just venting it into space.

Yonder Star and StarCruiser like this.
  4. Maurice Navidad

Maurice Navidad Maurice, the ATARI CX5200 Premium Member

I did a bunch of the TOS style displays for the Weapons & Defense station for "The Tressaurian Intersection", and it's fun to try to make stuff that looks of a piece with the original show's displays. :)

Yonder Star and uniderth like this.
  5. Yonder Star

Yonder Star Commodore Premium Member

I was thinking of another fuel cycle; call it a staged system or two stage system. The smaller M/AM reactor in secondary hull energizes a warp plasma. It also powers the main energizers for ship power. In order for this reactor to operate without a huge external power supply to control/confine the reaction, the reaction occurs inside dilithium crystals to reduce the confinement requirements. The first stage warp plasma powers the confinement equipment for the two bigger M/AM reactors in the nacelles (under the big orange domes). (Sort of like needing an atomic bomb to ignite a bigger fusion bomb, or better, similar to today's nuclear reactors which use two steam loops: the first one runs inside the reactor to the heat exchanger; and the second one runs from the heat exchanger to the turbines). Being in the hull near crew, the first reactor is designed to produce low radiation and other byproduct subatomic particles.

The larger M/AM in the nacelles produce even more power to produce a more powerful, second stage, super plasma to drive the warp engines. The resulting radiation and subatomic particles (possibly these subatomic stuff is needed to generate the warp field?) are extreme, thus are located far away from the habitable areas of the ship.

The faster the warp factor, more power is needed from both stages. The secondary hull reactor may be able the run the warp engines but only at low warp speed on its own. Lose this reactor, and the nacelle M/AM reactors can't function and you lose the warp drive. Lose the dilithium crystals and the first stage M/AM reactor can't function.

Impulse power is unable (too low or it also needs all the matter/antimatter subatomic particles) to create a warp factor/threshold. If the warp engines create warp fields by warping space using huge gravity emitters (call them warp coils), then the lower power from the impulse systems may be able to partially run the gravity emitters to create an Alcubierre drive, giving FTL speeds (~10 c) without the M/AM systems nor breaching a warp threshold. (probably how the Romulan ship gets around in BOT by using her impulse power plants to power its gravity coils in each nacelle making an Alcubierre drive.)

Last edited: Nov 17, 2019
    uniderth likes this.
  6. uniderth

Great analysis. I'm still not convinced that dilithium crystals were used in a reaction. My thoughts so far have been that the dilithium crystals provided the energy for perhaps the confinement of reactor three (the "primer reactor"/the smaller one). I like the idea of reactor three powering the confinement of the reactors 1&2. I was thinking something similar and that the spinning effect we see is actually the plasma circulating under the outer skin of the reactors.

Something else that I've been trying to figure out is Hoe the cold start thing factors into it. In "The Naked Time" we learn that matter and anti-matter can't be mixed cold. There is some super special formula that connects time and antimatter that let's Matter and Anti-matter mix cold in a controlled implosion. So I'm trying to figure out how this all works with being able to create a controlled implosion.

Yonder Star likes this.
  7. Maurice Navidad

Just a note. but I think it would say "space warp drive" as that's what they called it at first before the "space" was spaced and is probably what Jefferies would have put on such a display for the pilot.

uniderth likes this.
  8. uniderth

That's true. And I considered that. But there is one reference where Spock calls it a star drive. That gave it enough of that "early production strangeness" vibe that I went with it.

Spaceship Jo likes this.
  9. Maurice Navidad

Fair enuf. :)

publiusr and uniderth like this.