Old-School "Face in Space" Titles Returning!

Discussion in 'Doctor Who' started by Messianni, Jun 7, 2009.

1. Messianni

Messianni Commodore Commodore

Now this is a welcome change, to me anyway. It's so wonderfully classic!

http://io9.com/5276417/new-doctor-who-titles-will-look-old-school-big+headed

That's right, we'll see Matt Smith's face coming at us in the beginning credits, which I think means that we can assume a totally new credits sequence and another remix of the opening theme. I'm sure a few people won't like this, but hey, I call it another win on Moffatts part! :techman:

2. The

The Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I really hope this is a bad rumor. The face openings are a cheesy piece of the past that I would not readily welcome. But, as with everything, wait and see I guess...

3. Messianni

Aw, c'mon, isn't it at least a little fun? ;) Mind you, McCoy's wink was a little over the top, but I think if done right with today's editing and effects it may not be that bad.

One non-Who example: the opening of House M.D. House's face shows up very quickly there and that works fine. What if it were more like that? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a6zJ9dEwNek

4. Brendan Moody

Brendan Moody Vice Admiral Admiral

Not to try to dampen your enthusiasm or anything, but this report originates from an anonymous member's first post on the forums attached to a comic book news site. The full text of the post was:
    Not the world's most reliable source, and possibly not even a claim so much as a hope. (Yes, it could still be true.)

5. Messianni

Hmm, interesting. Well, nothing wrong with discussing the possibility though and opinions on it at least. It does seem like a stylistic choice that might be a bit divisive.

6. wamdue

wamdue Admiral Admiral

I have to agree with you on this The its not something im overly keen on, of course if Moffatt was happy to show the titles to me before they aired, and let it be my choice, I would give him my honest opinon.

7. Andy S

Andy S Captain Captain

I think the problem with having the actor's face in the opening credits these days is that the programme is no longer just about the Doctor - it's him and his companion(s). My fear therefore would be that it wouldn't only be Matt Smith's face in the opening titles - it would be both him and Karen Gillen's plus any other assistant / companion who comes along.

I am hoping that the credits do go through a change for series 5, to something a bit different to the generic vortex shot but I'm thinking that in these straitened times it's an unnecessary expense particularly when they've re-jigged them recently for the HD broadcasts. I'm guessing that the Beeb will stick with what they've got for the moment although maybe update the logo as I heard somewhere that that's being re-done. (Or did I make that up?)

8. bismarck_1892

bismarck_1892 Captain Captain

Oh, I'm really not a big fan of the "face in space" but don't really mind it either.

9. wamdue

wamdue Admiral Admiral

I dont like the current logo, the first one they had was better

10. Andy S

Andy S Captain Captain

Which "first" logo?

11. wamdue

wamdue Admiral Admiral

the first one of the new series

12. Sci

Sci Fleet Admiral Admiral

Dislike. Mucho mucho dislike. Keep the RTD-era opening title sequence, I say. It's perfect.

Though they should use the version of the theme from Series Two and Three and dump the Series Four version.

13. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

If its done right I'd love to see the Doctor's face back in the titles...see no reason the companions should be as well though, the show is called 'Doctor Who' after all ;)

14. Timelord Victorious

Timelord Victorious Vice Admiral Admiral

15. wamdue

wamdue Admiral Admiral

it does beg the question, should we have action shots in the title sequence, personally I say no,for example the orgininal title sequence for SG1 was the best.

16. Tomalak

Tomalak Vice Admiral Admiral

God, no. It's not Dallas. "Action shots" in opening titles are always cheap and tacky, and that's a fact!

Smith's face on the other hand, will be brilliant as far as I'm concerned. The title sequence needs a revamp, and the eerie face has always been one of the first things I associate with Doctor Who. Bring it back Mr Moff.

17. Andy S

Andy S Captain Captain

I dunno. I think it could work...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9EUqwkoPsV0 ;)

18. Sci

Sci Fleet Admiral Admiral

No. Action shots worked just fine in the opening titles for Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Angel, The West Wing, Firefly, and Veronica Mars.

Now, a floating head over a sci-fi background, on the other hand, would be incredibly cheap and tacky!

19. wamdue

wamdue Admiral Admiral

I dont knot about anyone else, but I like that, and you just dont see the cast credited in alphabetical order anymore these days.

20. Messianni

And yet none of those are Doctor Who.

The show did it for 28 years without any problem, don't see the problem now.