Oktober art challenge. Andorian Submarine

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by MisterD, Oct 26, 2022.

1. MisterD

MisterD Commander Red Shirt

Ahoi..
    The universe decidet I deserved a little bit more time for myself, so I spent it on the attempt to improve my art challenge entry. Since most of the stuff I did will most likely not be visible in the final entry, I had to make this thread. (also I am pretty happy how it turned out so far, especially since I did not touch blender for quite some time, and I just had to show it someone before it all gets dumped...)

[​IMG]
    Thats the starting point. I tried to merge Andorian ship design (basically the large main hull with the engineering and propulsion systems attached at the end) with a mini submarine. The result was kinda awful and I was happy it would be barely visible in the final render.

[​IMG]
    The second atempt however turned out much better imo.

[​IMG]
    Good enough tho to add a little room behind those windows to give it more depth.

[​IMG]
    The main Idea of carrying over some traits of andorian ship design worked out much better this time.

[​IMG]
    The front view reveals that there are no doors to enter or leave the two decks of the bridge section. Well I guess one cant have everything...

[​IMG]
    But thats not the only design flaw. As it turnes out most of the sub is empty. How disapointing...

Cyfa, StarCruiser, tax1234 and 5 others like this.
  2. MisterD

One thing that happens when humans come after sea creatures with a painfully bright lamp is that plankton sees it as an opportunity to literally put themselves into the spot light. And I thought it might be fun to set up a particle system to simulate this. [​IMG]
    Turns out that it is not fun, especially when your pc is already begging for mercy. But hey...nobody said it was going to be easy. Lets just hope its worth the effort...

Cyfa, StarCruiser and blssdwlf like this.
  3. MisterD

In order to not let this thread incomplete, here the end result.
    [​IMG]

4. Cyfa

Cyfa Commodore Commodore

Aw, I rather liked the original sub design (it had a 60s future vibe going on). But I LOVE the revised version!
    And I'm glad you (and your PC :D) made the effort with the plankton in the light beam - it lends another element of realism to the image. Fantastic!

5. Santaman

Santaman Vice Admiral Admiral

Awesome work!:mallory::techman: