OK, Mac-heads, sell me

Discussion in 'Science and Technology' started by seigezunt, Feb 3, 2010.

1. seigezunt

seigezunt Vice Admiral Admiral

...without condescension, snobbery, or cult-speak.

I'm a freelance writer doing an increasing amount of graphic design and am considering switching to Mac, but I feel the cost is way too prohibitive.

But I'm sick of having laptops get gunky and slow after 2 years.

So, convince me. Are Macs worth ALL that extra money.

And don't tell me they're purty.

2. Lindley

Lindley Moderator with a Soul Premium Member

I just find the interface more comfortable, personally. That's worth a few hundred amortized over several years.

3. Hermiod

Hermiod Admiral Admiral

^You've named the number one advantage - they don't get "gunky and slow". They retain their usability and value much longer than Windows computers.

4. John Picard

John Picard Vice Admiral Admiral

I am a former MS Drone who got fed up with the constant patches, plugs, and compatibility issues with my Windows machine. I use a Dell at work but my home machine (as of January 2009) is a Mac Mini. I absolutely LOVE the Mac. It is very intuitive and takes very little time to master. There are numerous functions and features I have yet to discover. I also love that all of the software for the Mac works SEAMLESSLY -- something very few Windows programs do.

5. pork3

pork3 Commander

I've had to develop cross platform compatible software for Mac, Linux and Windows at work, and in order of preference:

1. Windows
    2. Linux
    3. Mac

I have a personal dislike for the Mac UI, and we have noticed instabilities with OS X from time to time, which we haven't noticed with our Linux boxes.

In order of stability:
    1. Linux
    2. Tie between Windows7 & Mac

Cheers.

-Jamman

6. 137th Gebirg

137th Gebirg Admiral Premium Member

I've been a Mac-head for over 15 years, now, and I've always been an evangelist of the platform. However, I've noticed a recent trend in their overall software quality that doesn't sit well with me. The recent problems that they've had with Snow Leopard with clashing user accounts really drove the problem home. Fortunately, I have a legacy G5 and can't use SL because of the removal of legacy support (another pet peeve of mine) but I've long thought that Apple has been hiring former Windows developers causing a rapid decline of quality.

The interface (IMHO) is still easier to deal with than Windows and I don't even want to talk about Gnome for Linux - I don't even think that one even qualifies as an interface as it violates so many modern GUI standards and lacks the general amenities that both Mac and Windows support. I can't speak to KDE as I have never used it. Not really itching to, either. And for those who think that Linux is superior to Mac because it's a Unix derivative, Mac OSX has been using a Mach-OS FreeBSD/Berkley-derivative Unix kernel since 2001, stemming from the NeXT/OpenStep pedigree dating back to the late 80's. It's solid, tested and generally reliable.

Don't know if any of this is of any help. Just my two cubits' worth.

7. Jadzia

Jadzia on holiday Premium Member

I have a mac computer that I use mostly for internet, that I've had for a few years now. I like that it stays free of malware. I've used windows for a lot longer, since around 1995.

But in all other regards, I don't like the mac computer, and it's one of the few things I've regretted buying. Both computers have similar specifications, but in contrast, the mac feels suffocating to me.

Lots of small reasons that add up to one big reason. Things that inconvenience me. Things that don't work properly (no, the computer isn't perfect). Most importantly for me, I have never gotten a sense of flow with my mac, that I can achieve within a couple of minutes of using my windows computer.

8. Mr. B

Mr. B Vice Admiral Admiral

If I was writing professionally and my main tool was a laptop... I would want a ThinkPad. I don't care for Apple's keyboards... you can still install OSx86 if you like Mac that much.

9. 23skidoo

23skidoo Admiral Admiral

Between about 1999 and 2006 I was on a PC running Windows. I don't think a month went by that I didn't have to deal with a virus (Norton be damned) or some other weird screw up. On more than one occasion I lost substantial amounts of work and files because of having to reformat the hard drive.

I moved back to Mac in 2006. Same computer, and I haven't had a single virus problem. I haven't had to reformat my hard drive either (except, ironically, a partition that was running XP separately). And on a couple of rare occasions where I thought something bad had indeed happened to my Mac (corrupt OS, etc) a reboot fixed the problem.

Mac is not a perfect machine, but as far as I'm concerned its general stability and (for now) lack of virus issues makes it the first choice. My only gripe is the price, but at some point the old "you get what you pay for" argument does have to be considered.

Reading some of the other comments, I hear things like "lack of flow", etc. I don't really see any of this, and Mac allows peripherals like keyboards so if you don't like the dinky one it comes with, do what I did and buy an expanded keyboard. I do wish there were more games available for the Mac (especially Intel Core Duo Macs) but if you're planning to use it for work, this is irrelevant anyway (and most newer Macs allow you to run Windows anyway, so if you want to play PC games, you can install them on that side. Half-Life 2 looked incredible on my Mac).

Alex

10. Mr. B

Mr. B Vice Admiral Admiral

Judging by your post it sounds like you have yet to learn your lesson about redundant backup. I hope you have your stuff on additional drives elsewhere.

11. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

This is probably the biggest thing for me. Windows computers just get really crappy over time. I know people who have had Macs for years that they claim still run as fast as the day they bought them.

At the moment, I have 8 different applications open, and it hasn't had any effect on the speed of my computer.

I also like that it only takes about 20 seconds to fully boot up, when my Windows computer would take about 5-10 minutes before I could even do anything.

12. seigezunt

I use Mozy for online backup.

As for the other folks comments about Macs lasting longer, how much longer are we talking? I'm trying to price this out.

Re what I use the computer for, I write, but I do a lot of graphic design, with the Adobe suite. I bought my laptop two years ago and it's run the memory-hungry Adobe stuff pretty well, but I'm finding it's taking forever to load and locks up more frequently.

I've tried a number of tuneup programs and registry cleaners, but ti doesn't seem to work to well.

13. Lindley

Macs typically last long enough that you're upgrading to keep up with software requirements rather than due to hardware problems. My 2001 TiBook still works fine, but it's now my secondary machine because it's not always smooth on YouTube and chokes on HD video.

I've had to do a few repairs on it over the years, most notably a broken hinge, but on the whole it's held up well.

14. Arrqh

Arrqh Vice Admiral Admiral

At the very least, all the Adobe suite will be pretty identical when running on a Mac, unless you're really keen on running 64-bit versions... pretty sure Adobe only has released 64-bit on Windows, but for most people this probably isn't a concern.

Though personally, unless you find that OSX's workflow really speaks to you (and for some people it certainly does) I don't know if the extra cost justifies switching. Windows getting gunked up after a few years does happen, but it can always be fixed with a reformat/reinstall... so if the UI doesn't really matter to you and this is your main concern, you'd have to ask yourself how much that's worth to you I suppose.

I own both a desktop PC and a Macbook Pro... I do most of my heavy work on the PC simply because it has better specs and a larger screen (and doesn't make my lap feel as if it's going to catch fire when it's under heavy load) which is mostly work in Lightroom and Photoshop these days, at least when I'm at home. I don't feel that doing these sorts of tasks are any better on OSX then Windows, or vice versa. OSX has some... UI eccentricities that bug me sometimes, but so does Windows so for me it's really a wash. I don't regret getting a Macbook for sure, but I think I would have been just as happy with a PC laptop.

Then again, it wouldn't be as purty ;)

15. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

I had a Powerbook, purchased in 2005. It was a lovely machine, but the Ram failed after six months, the CD/DVD drive failed after three years, and the hard drive failed after 3.5 years. But until it fell to pieces, it ran wonderfully, and it certainly outpaced the PC laptops of my two roommates which were basically useless in less than two years.

I thought it was a lovely platform for running Adobe Programs (including Photoshop) as well as for doing intensive editing in final cut pro. But, like others have said, if it's not your thing, don't waste the extra money.

16. Deks

Deks Vice Admiral Admiral

First off, if you have a lot of bloatware on the computer ... remove it.
    That falls into the category of software that usually comes pre-installed with the OS from the manufacturer (if you got the computer like that).
    What I would recommend is uninstalling every such software apart from the drivers for devices.

Also ... removing things from the startup (except the antivirus) is recommended because if you have a ton of programs running in the background, they eat up RAM (something Adobe applications love in abundance).
    The point with Windows is to have software that's efficient in what it does while having a minimal footprint on the system.
    Bloatware ain't the way to go.
    Toolbars (if you have them) should go.

Registry cleaner is only there to keep that part of the OS organized ... it really won't do that much performance-wise (though it's recommended to do it overall if the program in question is one that won't mess it up).

First off ... how much RAM do you have to begin with and what are your overall specs?
    What kind of Antivirus software are you using (if you use it to begin with).

If you want to cleanup your system, use Ccleaner.
    It can also tell you about programs that are starting up with the OS.
    Generally speaking, everything apart from the antivirus can go (although make sure that some of the things on the startup aren't vital for some devices).

On topic ... I personally fail to see the justification in getting a Mac because of their overall cost, and the fact that most things I use on Windows simply won't run under a Mac ... but that's just me.

Mac's lasting longer?
    That's open for a debate.
    Hm ... let's see ... I have a 6 year old desktop which I reinstalled once after 4 years (some external file corruption that blurted in and messed up the OS ... a one time thing), and a 3 and a half year old laptop which I also reinstalled once after a number of years (because my old hdd failed after accidentally dropping the laptop to the floor twice 6 months earlier ... which I replaced and is working just fine of course).

In any event ... it depends on what you need more.
    If you regularly clean out the air vents and maintain the OS as it should be maintained ... there is a very good chance that your computer will last close to 4 or 5 years.

Although, keep in mind that as time goes by, software changes and can become increasingly demanding on the system by itself.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2010
  17. seigezunt

I use ESET NOD 32 for virus protection. I have 2 Gig Ram. I use CCleaner already...but I'm interested in this reinstall technique, perhaps...

18. Sci

Sci Fleet Admiral Admiral

I've had a MacBook for about a year and a half now. It has its minor problems and quirks, like all computers do, but it's much more stabile and I've never had a virus problem.

19. John Picard

John Picard Vice Admiral Admiral

Oh, I forgot to mention that I'll let my Mini go for weeks before having to reboot it, and I only do that because of my 3G antenna. Is is also whisper quiet when running.

20. Lindley

I actually reboot my Macbook Pro fairly often these days, but only because I have some software which I need to boot into Windows XP to run properly. Before I got an Intel Mac, I used to let my machine go for months without rebooting.