Octoberfest

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by enlisted person, Sep 4, 2010.

1. enlisted person

enlisted person Admiral Admiral

Anybody know anything about it? I will be in Czech republic near Germany in October and so I wonder what its all about. I will be fairly close to Germany. Is it just a drinking beer and getting "pissed as a newt" or is there some deeper meaning. Is it all over Germany or just in a certain place?

2. Candlelight

Candlelight Admiral Admiral

Drink as much beer as you can.

3. Hoser

Hoser Hoser Super Moderator

There's sausages too.

4. Candlelight

Candlelight Admiral Admiral

^ That would take up room in your stomach reserved for beer though.

5. Rincewiend

Rincewiend Admiral Admiral

It's your own life, but based on past experiences of you on Wordforge when alcohol was involved, i would say don't drink too much beer in a foreign country...

6. TerokNor

TerokNor Captain Captain

7. Roger Wilco

Roger Wilco Admiral Admiral

The original is in Munich.
    Imo it is extremely overrated and basically a rip-off. But I guess it's a nice touristy experience. You should go if you have the chance. (eta: btw. Munich is worth a visit anyway if you are in the region)

8. iguana_tonante

iguana_tonante Admiral Admiral

^ I agree. It's also a great opportunity to meet and interact with a lot of people, both German and foreign, in a friendly atmosphere. Also, this.

9. enlisted person

enlisted person Admiral Admiral

The closest large German city to where I will be working is Munich from what I can tell on the map. Do you get stopped at the border for Czech and Germany? or is it an open border? Thinking of renting a motorcycle and doing some riding one day.

10. Count Zero

Count Zero No nation but procrastination Moderator

Both countries are part of the EU and signatories of the Schengen Treaty so the borders are open. You should still carry your passport with you, though.
    Alternatively, you could also use the train. It's pretty fast and cheap going from Prague e.g. to Munich.
    The Oktoberfest (or Wiesn as it's called by the locals) takes place in Munich, but contrary to its name, usually only about 3 days of it are in October, while two weeks are in September (this has historical reasons). This year it will be from 18th September to 4th October. There are plenty of rides and stands where you can buy different things (food, souvenirs) but it's basically about consuming large amounts of alcohol (like all German cultural events) with subsequent dancing on tables and benches. Also, the specially brewed beer for the occasion isn't actually very good. It comes in litre glasses and should be drunk while still cold. Choosing non-alcoholic beverages won't get you out of the dancing and singing along, though.
    The breweries have their own tents and the atmosphere varies from tent to tent. It's not equally raucous everywhere. The tent preferred by younger people used to be "Schottenhammel" and the Hacker-Festzelt when I was there last (5 years ago). Since Augustiner is generally considered to be the best beer (make sure to sample it if you're in Munich and interested in beer) I suppose their Oktoberfest beer should be better, too. I've never been to their tent, though.
    On weekends, it's very crowded.

11. iguana_tonante

Be also aware that while Czechs still use their own currency (the Koruna), Germany is a member of the Euro-zone, so you need to change your money.

12. Nardpuncher

Nardpuncher Rear Admiral

I miss Oktoberfest. I would spill more beer in one night than most people have ever drunk.

13. Holdfast

Holdfast Fleet Admiral Admiral

I love it when my psychic powers tell me what a link will be before I click on it.

Especially in this case.

14. SPCTRE

SPCTRE Badass Admiral

Well, I've lived in Munich for about ten years, and I'm not a massive fan of the Oktoberfest - I guess that's mostly because I don't care for how crowded it gets. It's more of a tourist thing.

Munich is well worth a visit though.

15. iguana_tonante

You know me well, good sir. You know me all too well. :D

16. Holdfast

Holdfast Fleet Admiral Admiral

The young frauleins seem happy, and I'm all for spreading the happiness.