October Challenge - 137th Gebirg

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by 137th Gebirg, Oct 11, 2015.

1. 137th Gebirg

137th Gebirg Admiral Premium Member

Hey all:

One of the coolest alien designs of the Animated Series, IMO, was the Pirate Ship from "The Pirates of Orion". It was only ever seen in two very closely-oriented views: head-on and slightly 3/4 off-center to port. The head-on image is most commonly seen, and I always wondered what the rest of this ship really looked like.

There have been numerous attempts out there in the past to turn this into a CG model in the 3D world and, while noble in intent, I always found them to be a bit boxey and not quite in proportion. Understandably so...it was clearly drawn in such a way that it only really looked good in 2 dimensions, but the 3/4 forward view provided some extra useful visual information. I wanted to try to take a stab at it by making a 3-view ortho of the ship, in an attempt to make its lines look sleek and alien.

I preserved the colors, as they really are nowhere near as offensive as the pink Kzinti ship from "Slaver Weapon", and added some detailing and other greebles to make it look a little more than a 2-dimensional drawing. Unfortunately, there's really no way to make the outer wing tips not look clipped from any angle other than the front, so I'm not sure I was entirely successful there, but the rest of it I think looks pretty serviceable. I'll let you all be the judge. Enjoy!

[​IMG]

2. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

I always thought of it looking like a Winged Defender from FASA--but that isn't really right.

I also like that Enterprise, where the nacelles terminate in very large spheres. I'd like to see that one brought to life.

3. Kaiser

Kaiser Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Looks perfect to me :)

4. Potemkin_Prod

Potemkin_Prod Commodore Commodore

Mine was a little different when I did it a few years ago:

[​IMG]

5. BK613

BK613 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Very nice interpretations of the pirate ship. :techman:

I am a bit confused because I thought this month's challenge was to update to 21st century standards. No offense intended, but these still look stuck in the 70s to me. :);)

6. 137th Gebirg

137th Gebirg Admiral Premium Member

You're probably right - I did try to spruce it up a bit in places, like detailing in the lower arms & the sensor packages on either side of the forward wings. Perhaps I didn't go far enough on that one. Sadly, I won't have enough time to do any more modifications between now and the end of the month. I guess I'll just let the judges decide... :)