Spoilers The Ships of Lower Decks

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Lower Decks' started by Tuskin38, Aug 6, 2020.

1. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Fleet Admiral Admiral

So we got the full MSD for the Cerritos, it looks like the turbolift runs down the pylon and along the top of the nacelle.
    [​IMG]
    There are some Romulan Warbirds and Borg Cubes in the title sequence which seem pretty faithful to how we last saw them in TNG.
    [​IMG]
    Shuttle
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 6, 2020
  2. Dukhat

Dukhat Admiral Admiral

Good stuff. Although I’m now wondering why they didn’t just set the show during TNG instead of 10 to 16 years after it.

Phil123 likes this.
  3. NCC-73515

NCC-73515 Vice Admiral Admiral

We saw more ships at the starbase and in the season preview

4. Timo

Timo Fleet Admiral Admiral

Lots of glow on the nacelles, in relation to the rather compact collection of coils in the middle. Where they coincide with the very parts that feature crew presence, namely the turboshaft and the central pod....

Where is the warp core? The pod has a horizontal feature (that is also found in the saucer, but upright) on top. Is the actual core the other horizontal thing below that one in the pod?

Is the big volume forward and down from bridge a holodeck, or the fish tank, uh, cetacean emergency rations preserve?

The biggest change in the shuttle is the apparent side door, for a long last. No phaser strips in evidence there.

None marked on the ship, either, but I trust they are the blue raised rings on both sides of the saucer. Pretty elegant, but coverage down and aft is abysmal as usual. And the MSD doesn't give much hints about what is housed on the oblong blocks atop the saucer, although those would be nice for torpedo launchers.

Bubble shields, yay!

Timo Saloniemi

5. Gepard

Gepard Vice Admiral Admiral

Here's the ships at spacedock:

[​IMG]

The one on the left looks like a TNG-ified version of Eaves' original Shenzhou concept.

[​IMG]

saddestmoon and JoeP like this.
  6. Timo

Timo Fleet Admiral Admiral

...Or like the one on the right, flipped. Which is also what happened to the DSC sketch, which got used both ways up eventually.

Would be fun if the two LDS ships were identical (after all, they are!) and simply were flying in different orientations.

Timo Saloniemi

Tim Thomason likes this.
  7. Michael

Michael Good Bad Influence Moderator

Thanks for posting that! I don't know why, but I'm really in love with the Cerritos' design. It's simple and somewhat utilitarian, and yet looks absolutely fast and cool. I like that the saucer is a perfect circle rather than an oval. Always looked better to me.

Richard Baker, XCV330 and saddestmoon like this.
  8. WarpFactorZ

WarpFactorZ Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Huh? People can go in the nacelles? Is that engineering / the intermix chamber?

9. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Fleet Admiral Admiral

That bump on top is the hull section that's between the nacelles, which I assume is main engineering, they haven't said where it is yet.

10. Crewman6

Crewman6 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It's another Oberth-style design where the secondary hull is weirdly disconnected from the saucer for no good reason. Looks dumb and wildly impractical.

11. Michael

Michael Good Bad Influence Moderator

There were two new ships in the season trailer. Well, one ship and one … pod?

[​IMG]

PPatters likes this.
  12. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Can I trade Discovery in for this show?

13. Dukhat

Dukhat Admiral Admiral

That other ship’s deflector location makes way more sense than the Cerritos’s.

14. ExtremeSail

ExtremeSail Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Some juicy stuff about the ship here:
    http://blog.trekcore.com/2020/08/st...undup-cerritos-design-new-posters-ready-room/

"The ship is in great condition. It’s a California-class ship, which has always existed in Starfleet — [this is] what we’re saying — that they’re the utility support ships. In the California-class [line], there are three types of hull painting: there’s blue, red, and yellow.

We’ve extended the visual metaphor of the uniforms to the ships, and the Cerritos has yellow on the hull because it’s primarily a second contact engineering ship. They show up to planets that need engineering stuff done on them in order to be able to communicate with the Federation.

There’s also, you’ll see in the show, blue-hulled California class ships, which are usually deployed to places where there has to be more medical expertise, and red-hulled ships that are like for moving around ambassadors and doing more command-level stuff.
    "

Search4, BillJ, Ronald Held and 6 others like this.
  15. dupersuper

dupersuper Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm guessing so they can make jokes/references to everything from TNG/DS9/VOY./the TNG movies without us nerds pointing out when they've accidentally mentioned something that hadn't happened yet.

DEWLine likes this.
  16. DEWLine

DEWLine Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Guessing that - compared to Galaxy, Nebula, Sovereign, etc. - there's a lot of Californias roaming around. Maybe not as many as runabouts, but still...

17. DEWLine

DEWLine Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

And I am now wondering if Mr. McMahan - or someone in his circles - is a fan of the SCE/Corps of Engineers novellas.

Replica Picard and ExtremeSail like this.
  18. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

This makes my weird department color nerdself strangely happy.

Phil123, ExtremeSail and 137th Gebirg like this.
  19. 137th Gebirg

137th Gebirg Admiral Premium Member

I believe the word you’re looking for is “whimsical”.

danellis, Gepard, Cyfa and 2 others like this.
  20. NCC-73515

NCC-73515 Vice Admiral Admiral

It's Raffi's house with warp engines XD

137th Gebirg likes this.