Not sure if anyone said but will the first ep be over 1 hour or normal 45 minutes?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Discovery' started by IronMaiden, Sep 18, 2017.

1. IronMaiden

IronMaiden Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Not seen any info on this so just wondering if anyone knows, thanks :)

2. Kor

Kor Fleet Admiral Admiral

Good question.

Does the basic level of CBSAA have the same amount of advertising that broadcast TV has?

Kor

3. Noname Given

Noname Given Fleet Admiral Admiral

On my DVR for the one being aired on CBS - it gives it a 65 minute running time. Given in the U.S. an'hour' of TV usually means 40-42 minutes of actual program run time (and 18-20 minutes of commercials) - that would place it (including credits) at 45-47 minutes of actual run time for the first episode.

[That said, as it's effectively a 'network special' to begin with (and a 'one off' in this regard), I'm sure CBS could either add more commercial time or less commercial time. Guess we'll need to actually watch to be sure.;)]

BillJ likes this.
  4. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

My DVR has the same information.

5. MvRojo

MvRojo Vice Admiral Admiral

It seemed like less when I watched the Good Fight. I think most were around 90 seconds.

6. KennyB

KennyB I have spoken............ Moderator

I'm just glad I am streaming and don't have to worry about the ballgame delaying everything.........

7. dahj

dahj Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm sure sportspeople will finish up their game on time.
    They probably wanna watch the new Star Trek too. :D

8. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'm in Canada so it won't be delayed at all, it isn't on a channel that airs the sports ball.

9. Noname Given

Well, since I live in California - the game will be over LONG before 8:00 PM here (which is what my DVR says qill be the West Coast broadcast time. DirecTV allows you to 'see' what time something is showing on the East Coast of the U.S. (and it's 5:30 PM PST - 8:30 EST for you guys assuming said Football game doesn't run longer that expected due to calls, or copious use of Time outs and other ways to stop the game clock) - so, yeah, at least I know (baring power or Dish issues); I'll get it on my DVR from 8:00 -9:05 PM my local time. ;)

10. CaptGrumpy

CaptGrumpy Captain Captain

Grumble Grumble
    It's a 2 part story. Part 1 On CBS and part 2 immediately following on CBSAA

11. Noname Given

Yeah, and I'm going to wait until Tuesday to sign up for my 'Free Week (7 Days)' <---- That way I can see the first 3 episodes before deciding if I want to sub to see the rest. (And yeah, I could technically wait until more episodes are actually available, but I like reading this BBS and want to be able to participate in the story threads for at least the first three episodes without too much of a delay.) ;)

Vger23 likes this.
  12. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Admiral Admiral

Will both parts be on AA right away?

Since I'm on an hour delay, I might just skip the broadcast and watch the whole thing of AA if possible.

13. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yes

14. JoeCabby

JoeCabby Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Sweet :razz: .... for us Canadians.

I just set my PVR last night and noticed 2 shows for Discovery. Wasn't sure if it was a 2 part thing or a 1 show and repeat right afterwards.

They're also doing a Star Trek movie marathon where this whole weekend, every Trek movie will be on.

Im getting hyped up.

15. Long Syntax

Long Syntax Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

That was my understanding as well. I'll have to switch over to our Xbox and use the CBS AA app to watch part two.

My calendar has the following information for the 24th

Details: September 24, 2017 - Star Trek: Discovery Premiere 8:30-9:30 PM, ET

16. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

According to my TV guide, it's an hour and 5 minutes, but that is with commercials. That makes me believe it might be maybe a 50 minute episode, maybe 48.

17. cylkoth

cylkoth Commodore Commodore

Checking the Vudu pay per view site which added CBS:AA's The Good Fight recently, their episode run times vary between 45 to 53 minutes. Since this is the premiere, it would be safe to guess the debut hour would lean towards the 50 min mark.

18. Ssosmcin

Ssosmcin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm a little put out over being held "hostage" this way. All Access has nothing else on there I can't watch a dozen different ways, either free, part of another service I have already or in my own home video library. Since I am not gonna just watch half of an episode, I'll skip this entirely. I hope it's great for everyone and for Star Trek in general. We need successful Star Trek. But, this easily could have been a Netflix series in the states.

So either I'll wait for the eventual home video release or until All Access is a big as Netflix or Amazon, giving me a wider variety of programming to justify my subscription.

19. Krandor

Krandor Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

My understanding is part 1 will be on all-accessa at 8:30 and part 2 at 9:30.

20. Krandor

Krandor Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Here is the full description of the schedule from CBS.

When can you watch Star Trek: Discovery?
    Star Trek: Discovery will air its first episode of the series on Sunday, Sept. 24 at 8:30/7:30c (time approximate following NFL Football and 60 Minutes) with a special broadcast premiere on the CBS Television Network. The episode will also be available to stream live and on-demand on CBS All Access.

Then, the second episode of Star Trek: Discovery will be made available on the CBS All Access that same night following the broadcast premiere.

After premiere night, all-new episodes will be made available on-demand weekly on Sundays after 8:30 ET/5:30 PT, exclusively for CBS All Access subscribers in the United States.