"No Heroics" (a superhero sitcom) on ITV

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by firehawk12, Sep 21, 2008.

1. firehawk12

firehawk12 Fleet Admiral Admiral

I just noticed a new British show called No Heroics so I decided to watch it not knowing what it actually was.
    I was surprised to find that it is basically a superhero sitcom, sort of like that film Mystery Men but with more vulgarity and Britishness.
    I'm not sure if I have an opinion on it... it wasn't particularly bad, but it wasn't laugh out loud hilarious either. I'll probably watch it for lack of anything else to watch on the weekends.

Anyone here manage to catch it?

2. Bob The Skutter

Bob The Skutter Complete Arse Cleft In Memoriam

I tend to ignore comedy on ITV, it's usually pretty rubbish. And this being an ITV2 comedy probably means it's even worse than usual. But I might check it out on the catch up site to see what it's like.

3. marplanauta

marplanauta Commander Red Shirt

It was better than i expected. I´ll definitely be watching, it has a lot of potential

4. Bob The Skutter

OK, I just watched the first episode on ITV.com, and I have to agree with your assessment. Nothing particularly bad about it, but no real laugh out loud moments either. I'll watch a couple more episodes to see if it gets any better.

5. firehawk12

Yeah, the concept itself is different enough. And anyway, it gives a glimpse of what Heroes would be like in Season 6 or 7. ;)

I'm guessing that it's either a British thing or an ITV2 thing, but it looks like the whole "protect the kids" censorship thing really isn't in effect for the show either.

6. Bob The Skutter

It airs at 10:30 or later. At that time, pretty much anything goes.

7. firehawk12

Including weird sex acts involving a tattoo on a crazy girl. :lol:

8. Bob The Skutter

It's just like an autograph.

Dexter went out unedited at 10pm. Pulp Fiction was shown unedited at 9pm once, but got a lot of complaints so now has to be shown after 10pm, too.

9. firehawk12

Yeah, fair enough. Then again, you are the guys that did QAF so I guess I shouldn't be surprised. :)

10. Bob The Skutter

According to Russell T Davies the scene where one of the characters gets rimmed for the first times was for real, because they couldn't figure out to simulate it and film it in the way they wanted it... who knew they could get away with that on broadcast TV? :lol:

11. wamdue

wamdue Admiral Admiral

:lol: was that on a directors commentary?

12. Bob The Skutter

It was on an interview with him, about his work past, present and future. In it he said he wanted to do a sort of "Queer as Old Folk" about middle aged gay men, about mid-life crisis, and the troubles with as you get older, in a similar way Queer as Folk was bout coming out, and the troubles of young gay men.
    He also said the young actor said his mum asked him about that scene, and how they filmed it, and he told her it was all camera trickery. :lol:

13. wamdue

wamdue Admiral Admiral

you know im surprised he has been given the opportunity to make that show, given the success of Doctor Who, im sure C4 wouldnt overly object to a sequel to QaF

in some ways Directors Commentary and things like Confidential, take some of the magic away from movies & TV shows, in others they let you in on funny stories, about your favourite show or movie.

14. Bob The Skutter

He hasn't got the series, he said something like it's a seed that's growing in his mind, and something he'd like to make, but while he is still working on Doctor Who he's too busy for it to be anything more.
    And it's not really a sequel to Queer as Folk, that's just how he was describing it, Queer as Folk for middle aged men, Queer as Old Folk, but not actually a sequel or a spin off, just a similar type of show.

15. wamdue

wamdue Admiral Admiral

oh ok, guess there could be actor problems, since im guessing the guys from QaF would not be old enough to appear in this idea.

16. firehawk12

Haha, that's an awesome story... how fucking insane. :lol:

17. Pingfah

Pingfah Fleet Admiral Admiral

Wow, this has so much potential to be awful. It does have Mark Heap though.

18. Hermiod

Hermiod Admiral Admiral

Uh oh, somebody used the words "sitcom" and "ITV" in the same sentence. That never ends well.

19. Bob The Skutter

Does it? I didn't notice him in there. But James Lance was good in Moving Wallpaper and Teachers, so he's a plus I suppose.

20. diankra

diankra Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I saw episodes one and four at a preview screening a few months back, and thought four was the better of the two (SheForce goes to visit a supervillain she's captured in jail - played by Mark Heap, he's only a guest star in that episode, not a regular -, and Timebomb is hired to prevent an assassination), so fingers crossed that carries through the rest of the series.