Nicholas Meyer to join writing staff of new series

My logic is, there will be more to hiring them than their age. There are probably younger directors who are a greater risks for various reasons. If they are healthy enough, why not?
I think Josh Trank would be a perfect example of a younger director who's a greater risk than Ridley Scott or Clint Eastwood.

Trank does movies, does he need Star Trek? I'm sure a new person, young or older, should get a chance.

While I'm always loathe to attribute things good or bad to just one person, I don't think it's entirely an accident that the so called odd-even rule for Trek films correlated with Meyer's involvement. His films all gave the Star Trek franchise something new, a twist on the familiar which felt like Star Trek but took the stories in new and gripping directions. That's what I'm hoping for from Trek 2017.
Love or hate the Shakespeare quoting Klingons and that scene with Spock and Valeris, we're still discussing them thirty years later. I don't think much from the Voyager/Ent era will hold up like that.

I don't think it's entirely an accident that the so called odd-even rule for Trek films correlated with Meyer's involvement.
Whether the new series is regarded as an even or odd incarnation depends on whether you count the animated "series." ;)

While I'm always loathe to attribute things good or bad to just one person, I don't think it's entirely an accident that the so called odd-even rule for Trek films correlated with Meyer's involvement. His films all gave the Star Trek franchise something new, a twist on the familiar which felt like Star Trek but took the stories in new and gripping directions. That's what I'm hoping for from Trek 2017.
Meyer has admitted he doesn't come up with ideas, he can assess what a good idea is, and like priming the pump, he can go from there. Lets hope Bryan Fuller and the CBS Execs have an idea which will fuel some interesting stories.

Back