Next ship should be Prometheus derivative

Discussion in 'Future of Trek' started by westwords2020, Oct 28, 2007.

1. westwords2020

westwords2020 Commander Red Shirt

I would like to see a series in novel form like Titan or for that matter television series set post Nemesis about the exploration of the galaxy using tech gained from Voyager Endgame and Seven of Nine's knowledge of Borg systems to feature a Prometheus Derivative starship but seperating into fully independant modules each with it's own crew and bridge/engineroom for which sets would be redressed and having Captain in the Alpha Section, First Officer in Beta Section, Chief Engineer in Charlie Section and Operations Officer in Delta Section. I'd use four modules in my ship with fourth module mounted above primary hull on a strut like Nebula class pods.
    The concept would involve starship seperation occurring not just for battle but also to dispatch the modules to different missions as an effective two/three/four ships would be availible in deep space rather than just one.
    It could allow an adventure commanded by others than just the captain.

2. SeerSGB

SeerSGB Admiral Admiral

The only beef I have with the Prommie is the multi-vector assault mode. Just seems a silly thing to me. However, the unified ship looks wonderful

3. C.E. Evans

C.E. Evans Admiral Admiral

I don't particularly like the multi-vector assault mode either, but I do like the wedge-shaped forward command section of the Prometheus-class though. I wouldn't mind seeing Starfleet move even further away from saucer-shaped primary hulls and more towards angular-shaped ones.

4. SeerSGB

SeerSGB Admiral Admiral

Scrap the MVAM (multivector assualt mode) and get a good bridge design in there-- a crossbread of the Intrepid and Defiant class bridges would be nice, and you've got a sweet looking ship with a slick design. It really is one of Rick's better designs.

5. cardinal biggles

cardinal biggles A GODDAMN DELIGHT Moderator

This is precisely the sort of thing Cary L. Brown was criticizing in the other thread... this doesn't tell me what the show is about. It tells me that we've got a whiz-bang neato starship that can split in four. What's the show about? How does this design really aid the ship's mission, or does it just look cool? Wouldn't it be easier to just send four ships? Or have a smaller craft like a Runabout or captain's yacht they can send on special missions?

If anything, this overly complicates the show. Don't get me wrong, I'm not against multiple storylines, but the show's concept should be able to fit into that "25 words or less" cliché. Whether it's "doctors in a busy Chicago emergency room" or "wacky lawyers in a prestigious Boston law firm" or "a bunch of astronauts... on some kind of star trek," if you have to rattle off pages of technobabble to tell me what the show is about, I'll lose interest pretty quickly. So will most producers, and most viewers as well.

6. westwords2020

westwords2020 Commander Red Shirt

No, it isn't about technobabble..you would show rather than describe in agonizing detail the MVAM or the equivalent defense modes when used and splitup the ship without more explanations that fatigue the viewer, you would show the seperation and the reason for it.
    It isn't about MVAM so much as the advantage of split ops on some, not all occassions and allows the various ship's officers to have their own adventures with the component they command.
    I think the viewer would pickup on that okay.

7. cardinal biggles

It's a gimmick, though. There has to be more to a show than a gimmick, or you'll have a very short-lived show.

8. SeerSGB

SeerSGB Admiral Admiral

MVAM isn't any different that saucer-separation in TNG-- remember how that was hyped "everytime the ships goes into a fight, the families flee to safety in the saucer". It was dropped except for what...three or four times, once it was used cause they needed it to attack the Borg.

Overall, I liek the design of the ship (I always liked Quad-nacelle designs), and actually "Feels" like a natural progression for Starfleet designs. But the MVAM really needs to go.

9. cardinal biggles

It was dropped because it was just too much grief to separate the six-foot model again and again, but yeah, it was a gimmick. So was the holodeck, but they managed to integrate it into the show better. Some gimmicks work and some don't.

I'm just not sure why having a ship that splits in four with four different crews is really necessary to the story.

And I like the Prometheus design, too. Definitely one of the better looking post-TNG ship designs.

10. Dayton3

Dayton3 Admiral

The Multi-Vector Attack Mode is a gimmick.

Like the Enterprise-D saucer separation capability or Voyagers planetary landing capability.

A new series would use it in the series premier, once or twice afterwards, then it would be abandoned as a unwieldy storytelling device.

Then in half the episodes that followed, fans would wonder why it was never used as so many situations would find it useful.

Didn't some fan design a larger verions of the Prometheus that had a similiar design but no MVAM?

11. Jack Bauer

Jack Bauer Fleet Admiral Admiral

Dude, who cares? It's a kewl spaceship. You don't need nuthin' more than that to make a kewl tv show! ;)

12. AdAstra

AdAstra Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

As long as there are 0MGZ 'splosions!!!1, it's a great show ;)

13. cardinal biggles

Don't forget chicks with huge tits wearing catsuits. Nothing says Star Trek like that. :thumbsup:

14. ancient

ancient Vice Admiral Admiral

My idea for the next Trek show is this:

Get this -> the torpedoes will be purple.

Pretty awesome show, right?

15. Dayton3

Dayton3 Admiral

I would prefer a male only main cast in a new Star Trek.

One of the reasons that the original "The Longest Yard" is one of my favorite movies.

Only two women with speaking roles in the entire movie.

16. Jack Bauer

Don't forget chicks with nice legs wearing mini-skirts. :drool:

17. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

In TNG men wore skin tight cat suits and miniskirts.

I just want to see two star crossed lovers over come insane obstacles until they're finally being in each others arms and do it. Dooooooo it all night long.

18. Dayton3

Dayton3 Admiral

Why?

19. SeerSGB

SeerSGB Admiral Admiral

That's one of the reason I really loath special-gimmicks for a ship. There's really no practical way (from a storytelling POV) to pull it off every single time it would make since, of come up with some BS excuse as to why it isn't working. It's just ends up being wasted storytelling time that could be better spent on other aspects of the story.

20. Jack Bauer

So it would then air on HBO?