Next Gen Video Games: Buying and playing

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by STEPhon IT, May 24, 2022.

1. STEPhon IT

STEPhon IT Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm playing Elden Ring with other online players which gave me the thought to what members here are playing, and what games you're awaiting to buy? I'm looking forward to Evil Dead: The Game, Saints Row, Gotham Knights, and Call of Duty: Modern Warfare II. I think there's a James Bond, and Indiana Jones game coming but it may be release next year. What next gen games you like and playing and what are you looking forward to getting for your Next Gen or PC consoles?

2. Avro Arrow

Avro Arrow Vice Admiral Moderator

We have a Gaming forum, so I'm thinking this thread may be better suited for there. Moving now.

3. Owain Taggart

Owain Taggart Vice Admiral Admiral

Well, I think next-gen consoles still have the disadvantage of having supply issues, so anyone getting one would consider themselves lucky. Sony and Microsoft, have both announced that they're now only going to be publishing new games on the current gen. There's still the hitch though that the previous generation is still generating loads of money, and this is no doubt due to the fact that the current gen is still hard to get. In fact, Sony just announced that the PS4 won't be phased out for a couple of years because it's still raking in money.

Probably not the answer you wanted to hear. But as my PC is not up to spec, and I won't be getting a PS5 anytime soon, so won't be looking at games of this generation for quite a whiie.

Caretaker likes this.
  4. Haggis and tatties

Haggis and tatties Vice Admiral Admiral

I am really enjoying the Series S console, a cracking bit of kit and it packs so much bang for buck into such a little box, and i also have the Series X, but utility prices here went ballistic of late, with even more increases on the way this coming October, so it became economically too costly to run the console, and too be honest, apart from the Xnative 4k, i have found that 1080p at 120hz on the S is far more a enjoyable gaming experience.

BillJ likes this.
  5. urrutiap

urrutiap Captain Captain

a few Playstation 4 and X Box One games that i still need to buy

Mortal Kombat 11 for Playstation 4
    whatever is new for a Call of Duty game. get one for either Playstation 4 or X Box One
    Sims 4

6. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

This got me looking and according to this the Series X and S seem to use about the same while running games.
    https://www.hydroquebec.com/residential/energy-wise/electronics/game-consoles.html

EDIT: nvm, MS shows the S to use half the power of the X during gameplay (74W vs 153W)
    https://support.xbox.com/en-US/help/hardware-network/power/learn-about-power-modes

The Nintendo Switch doesn't even hit 20W apparently so while it's underpowered compared to the big boys it's a lot cheaper to run.

7. Haggis and tatties

Haggis and tatties Vice Admiral Admiral

^^^Only issue with the Switch is it might be cheap to run, but the price of game is insane, the most expensive place to play the worst ports, £50/£60 over here for Wii U ports and Switch games, plus the console itself is £300 alone, so at that price point you may as well just grab a steam deck for £350 and get access to your entire steam libray at no extra charge. :)

8. Kirk's_Tights

Kirk's_Tights Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I upgraded to PS Plus premium and been playing the hell out of the OG Resident Evil.

9. Turd Ferguson

Turd Ferguson Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

So far this gen, I've really liked Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart, Horizon Forbidden West for PS5 and Forza Horizon 5 on Series X. I've played a lot more games on my next gen systems, but they're also available for PS4/One: Resident Evil Village, Spider-Man: Miles Morales, Assassin's Creed Valhalla, and Immortals Fenyx Rising.

I'm really looking forward to Avalanche's Harry Potter game, Insomniac's Wolverine, Gotham Knights and Suicide Squad: Kill the Justice League :)

10. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

I have both next gen consoles, nothing has really wowed me beyond load times.

ED-209 likes this.
  11. Turd Ferguson

Turd Ferguson Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Have you tried Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart? It felt like playing a Pixar movie with crazy guns :)