Newsweek picks the top 10 captain candidates

Discussion in 'Future of Trek' started by RAMA, May 6, 2016.

1. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

2. intrinsical

intrinsical Commodore Commodore

I wouldn't mind David Tennant, but I am not sure nerdom would ever recover from a purple-timelord-man aneurysm.

Jedman67 and trekyourself like this.
  3. AviTrek

AviTrek Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

KennyB likes this.
  4. Shalashaska

Shalashaska Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

13 episodes?

Am I forgetting something, or did the writer just confuse speculation with official information?

5. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Fleet Admiral Admiral

It will be an unknown.

Or Michael Weatherly.

KennyB likes this.
  6. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

Too many white men on that list.

A Latin, Asian (East or South), or Middle Eastern captain would be nice.

Ryan Thomas Riddle likes this.
  7. Danlav05

Danlav05 Commodore Commodore

Fuller said years ago he wanted Angela Bassett as his Captain with Rosario Dawson as the First Officer.

Who knows if he'll try to keep to that?

8. Shalashaska

Bassett has already said she won't be doing it, how can she fit both American Horror Story and Star Trek into her schedule? It'd be too much.

Dawson is a regular on Daredevil, as well as having to make appearances in other Marvel shows such as Jessica Jones and Luke Cage. She has enough on her plate right now.

9. Spider

Spider Dirty Old Man Premium Member

I think we're ignoring the possibilities and wonders of TV land. How about Star Trek Black, where a bunch of renegade clones lead by Sara Manning wreak havoc, while Captain Felix (our first gay captain) hunts them down. Or, a violent war series Star Trek 100, with Captain Clark, once a civil minded artist turned renegade mass murderer, is taken out of prison to lead a one way mission to hell. Lexa is her Vulcan science officer, and once again, we have a gay captain.

But enough of the gay captains. We should have Captain Elizabeth Jennings starring in Star Trek Americans. Captain Jennings is actually a Klingon spy, but that's OK, because apparently Klingons turn out to be OK guys anyway.

10. Galileo7

Galileo7 Commodore Commodore

Little person captain, like Game Of Thrones has Peter Dinklage. It would be a first in Star Trek.

SharkD likes this.
  11. Bry_Sinclair

Bry_Sinclair Vice Admiral Admiral

Maggie Q, David Tennant, Patrick Wilson or Olivia Coleman from that list. Each would bring something different to the role.

12. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I would love to see them pick somebody from an underrepresented group, or a group who are not usually seen as heroes. Star Trek has always been a very inclusive, diverse franchise, and I would love to see the new show's choice for a lead actor/actress continue that tradition.

13. TwoJakes

TwoJakes Commander Red Shirt

Unfortunately no it hasn't, but I would like to see someone selected for captain who wasn't from the standard casting group.

Shaka Zulu likes this.
  14. Takeru

Takeru Space Police Commodore

TOS: entire main cast was white
    TNG: seven of nine main characters were white
    DS9: five of eight were white
    VOY: five of nine were white
    ENT: five of seven were white

I don't see much diversity, the main cast was predominantly white, male and 100% of the characters were straight (even the android!). The myth that Star Trek was inclusive and diverse is pretty much bullshit.

Shaka Zulu likes this.
  15. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

I think you need to re-count

Um yes, that's the point of the article.

16. Shalashaska

You could say that about any old show when you compare it with modern standards. Also, not sure if you even watched TOS, because that definitely didn't have an entirely white main cast. For the 60s, a main cast depicting a black woman, an alien who looked like Satan, a Russian and a Japanese on American television was pretty unheard of.

When your show is renowned for being one that Dr. Martin Luther King himself called an achievement for black rights, then yes, it is pretty diverse. Later entries to the franchise kind of strayed from the all-inclusive and diverse reputation it had, especially to do with LGBT people, but the original definitely made a big impact.

trekyourself and DaddlerTheDalek like this.
  17. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

The other question is what is diversity based on? Is it the population of the country that produces it? The population of the Earth? The planet of origin of the fictional universe? The membership of the UFP?

If it's the USA, then African-Americans should only be 12% of the cast for example. Earth? Nearly 2-3rd of the population is from Asia. The UFP? Earth people should only be less than 1% of the crew..

Still, the later shows did expand on diversity much more than TOS. In TOS the make up of the extras and guest stars slowly started to go back to standard Hollywood of the time, and David Gerrold attributed it to :"hardening of the arteries"..in other words, they made a deliberate attempt to diversify early on in TOS, but as it went on, time pressures and production pressures negated this.

RAMA

trekyourself and Capn Nick like this.
  18. Takeru

Uhura and Sulu were not part of the main cast. TOS only had three main characters, some fans thinking of the "big seven" doesn't make it true.

But even if I missed some it doesn't change the fact that the cast was primarily white and not very diverse over the decades. That many older shows were like that doesn't really matter, Star Trek still doesn't get an award for being diverse and inclusive because it wasn't.

19. TwoJakes

TwoJakes Commander Red Shirt

In the case of TOS it might depend on who you consider to be "main cast." Spock, while played by a white male, wasn't white owing to being a Vulcan. Didn't Nimoy's makeup give him slight yellow complexion?
    Janeway, Paris, Seven and the EMH were White.
    Chakotay was native American.
    Torres was Hispanic and Klingon mix.
    Kim was East Asian.
    Tuvok was a alien.
    Archer, Trip and Reed were White.
    Sato was East Asian.
    Mayweather was Black.
    T'Pol and Phlox were aliens

Last edited: May 8, 2016
  20. Takeru

I'm talking about the actors, not characters.