Spoilers New York Comic-Con Season 4 Trailer

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Discovery' started by Tuskin38, Oct 9, 2021.

1. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

I hope everyone unenthused sits it out. At least demonstrate your dissatisfaction rather than typing it and still watching it to type more "Boring!"

2. SJGardner

SJGardner Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Only half a second of cat content? That's not enough in 2021, sorry. Not even Tilly could compensate for that, I'm afraid.

I found it reasonably good enough, but it still makes me worried. The novelty value of the 32nd century has already worn itself thin for me... this could be made into a 22nd, 23rd or 24th century trailer and stay mostly the same. I'm quite concerned they'll continue the route of reacting to the loudest negative voices on the internet and keep scaling back anything that made this series stand out from other Trek, with the end product ending up as basically a 15-episode-long anomaly-of-the-week episode with random character bits peppered here and there.

To be fair, this is just a trailer. Knowing myself, I'll still be here, giving out knee-jerk nines and tens to each episode just because I enjoyed them.

Trek the Halls likes this.
  3. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

It's finally up on Youtube in a non-geolocked way

4. Phily B

Phily B Commodore Commodore

I mean the Picard stuff made me more mad, because we were sold on a series that was more low key and then it STILL ends with a galaxy ending threat. It's made worse that we only got one or two episodes of what was promised, particularly the one visiting Riker. I'm just so bored of it, ironically Star Trek Beyond is the only one in the past few years that didn't have an existential threat to Earth and the Federation and is probably my favourite in the past decade of the new Trek stuff.

5. Lord Garth

Lord Garth Vice Admiral Admiral

I binged ENT in 2020, during the Quarantine (I mean the real Quarantine, not what we have now). Then I got to Season 2. "Slow and boring" is what you think you want. Trust me, go back and re-watch ENT Season 2, and you'll see that that's its own kind of problem.

Turtletrekker likes this.
  6. TimeIsAPredator

TimeIsAPredator Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Enterprise was just a poor show I do t think it's any real indicator of what a show should or shouldn't try to be

Phily B likes this.
  7. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

Imagine what a TOS trailer would look like today - doomsday machines, killer probes, Romulans and Klingons. "Just more and more deadly threats to the galaxy!"

8. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Doomsday machines, giant amobeas, giant space lizards. It was quite the galaxy.

9. TimeIsAPredator

Loads and loads of Kirk double fist punching people

10. Lord Garth

I think it's case of individual viewers' tastes changing as they age, but not changing what they watch to go with it. If they've moved on from what Trek is offering, then they should take the hint that Father Time is giving them.

"I watch Discovery in hopes that it improves." If someone doesn't like it by now, they're not going to. I think it's safe to say that at this stage, DSC has reached its Final Form. Burnham's Captain, the showrunner isn't changing, and Discovery is established with its role in its new century.

So, at this point, complaining about Discovery saving The Galaxy again is like complaining about Rocky stepping into The Ring again. It happens every season, it happens every movie. It's not a question of if they'll do it, it's a question of how they're going to do it this time.

And it seems as if some people here have never seen trailers before. The trailers will highlight the most visceral and exciting parts. The most actiony part of the season will be at the end, maybe a little in the beginning, and there will be a lull in the middle. That's the way these things work. "But I was hoping for something else!" We all know that's not what's going to happen.

11. Happy Xmas (War Is Over)

Happy Xmas (War Is Over) If You Want It Premium Member

Like this action pack trailer with explosions and dramatic tension!!!

The actual movie, not so much.

12. TimeIsAPredator

Well in fairness Trek is kinda famous for season 3 jumps in tone so it's not that unrealistic.

13. Agony_Boothb

Agony_Boothb Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

To quote a man in a toupe who died under a bridge 'sounds like fun!'

Trek the Halls and Lord Garth like this.
  14. Phily B

Phily B Commodore Commodore

No, Enterprise is just a bad fucking show that I gave up on in Season 1.

Lord Garth likes this.
  15. Lord Garth

Yes. You said before that you want slow and boring, so I just told you what slow and boring is. And it seems you agree with me, it isn't any good. You just proved my point for me. You don't want slow and boring, you just want different from what DSC has been doing.

There's another way to go that's slow and boring. Try this one on for size: Stretch TMP into an entire season.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2021
  16. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

Season one's detour Into the Mirror Universe included a threat to the entire Multiverse due to Mirror Stamets abuse of the mycelial network.

Jadeb likes this.
  17. eschaton

eschaton Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Trying to say something which isn't a retread of everyone else...

Is it just me, or does 90% of this trailer seem to be from the season premier? It certainly seems like you can sketch out a single episode plot here.
    1. Threat established
    2. Council of Elrond
    3. Discovery goes to investigate
    4. Hijinks ensue

18. Uhura's Song

Uhura's Song Commander Red Shirt

I have to admit, I am really looking forward where the fate of the entire galaxy is NOT on the line.

Look, it is not like that sort if stuff difld not happen from episode to episode (various TOS eps, All Good Things) or even a federation/species/planetary level extinction event (many movies, Borg, Dominion, Time War, etc). The criticism that this has all happened before and if it didn't bother you before.......

But for me, I guess part of it is the serialized vs episodic difference. Episodically, you could inhabit a universe where there was not some humongous threat for a while. In a serialized show, once the threat is established, it looms over everything. And the character development, world building, depth building that I like so much seems frivilous BECAUSE the whole world/planet/federation/galaxy/universe is at stake.

Most of (but not all) of my favorite Trek is on a more personal level. Tribbles. Measure of a Man. The episode where Picard lives another life. "There. Are. Four. Lights." Beyond is my favorite new Trek movie. My favorite Disco/Pic eps are almost all before the big threat emerges.

I think I will like SNW & Prodigy. I don't hate the new stuff. And have liked some quite a lot. But the threat level at 10 all the time just gets ridiculous after a while. New Trek is like Jack Bauer.

eschaton and Jadeb like this.
  19. Yistaan

Yistaan Commodore Commodore

so I guess Kovich
    wasn't the Federation President after all.

DEWLine likes this.
  20. Lord Garth

If anyone's trying to wrap their heads around where I'm coming from: I think where I'm different from a lot of people here is that I'm also a fan of Dragon Ball Z where there were escalating stakes all the time. Battlestar Galactica also had escalating stakes. Although those were more emotional escalating stakes, since the Colonies were destroyed right from the beginning. Discovery just so happens to be another one of those shows about escalating stakes.

I'm more interested in this than Strange New Worlds, which I expect to be planet-of-the-week. If you want something more like that, it's coming soon. Let DSC be DSC... and SNW can be SNW.

This too.

And since I prefer Discovery over all of the Star Trek movies that came out after 1991, except for possibly First Contact, I consider this to be a gain.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2021
    DEWLine, PiotrB and Agony_Boothb like this.