New X-Files Series in Discussion

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Ometiklan, Jan 18, 2015.

1. Ometiklan

Ometiklan Captain Captain

Fox officially confirmed that there are ongoing discussions about a new X-Files series. They want Anderson and Duchovny back, but discussions are currently on at a logistics stage with schedules being discussed, no show runners, etc. determined.

http://deadline.com/2015/01/x-files-reboot-talks-fox-1201352465/

I welcome this news as I always liked the series (though I kinda lost interest in season's 8-9, or at least I lost interest in the increasingly convoluted and thin mythology in those seasons, though I still enjoyed individual episodes). Bring it back, "reboot" the mythology, and make more cool monsters-of-the-week; and I hope this will also allow the Lone Gunmen to return (ala X-Files Season 10 comics) since I liked their show and felt they were seriously shortchanged.

Thoughts?

2. Sgt. Pepper

Sgt. Pepper Lieutenant Commander

I'd love to revisit X-Files in either tv or movie form. I feel like there's still a lot to told in the X-Files universe. I don't want to see a complete reboot, but if they can find a way to clear up some of the alien stuff, that'd be great. It's been so long sing I watched X-Files, I really don't remember how the story wrapped up, but I do remember feeling disappointed and yet still wanting more. Now would be a great time to bring it back especially with so many conspiracy theories floating around.

3. Patrick O'Brien

Patrick O'Brien Captain Captain

This is a great idea:bolian: Thanks to Netflix I am watching the show almost for the first time. It was on when I was younger and I only watched a few episodes. It's great binge watching the show from time to time and I must say I am hooked. Let's hope Fox can make this happen.

4. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

Honestly I thought the concept was pretty much played out during the first run. I think I lost interest about three seasons short of it it ending. Tuned in for the last episode but can't remember a damn thing about it save for "them" going overkill and sending an attack helicopter to take out Smoking Man.

That said a total hard reboot may be possible, even with the original actors in new roles; like say Anderson in the Skinner role and Duchovny as the new Smoking Man and/or Deep Throat.
    Not sure how a continuation would work since in X-Files lore the world was supposed to have ended three years ago. Kinda hard to buy the idea that they managed to delay it and *not* blow the lid off the whole thing, without it being a massive cop-out. I mean either way the world should be radically changed, no?

5. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

I gotta say, that although I was a fan back in the day, the series ended with such a whimper and the long-awaited follow-up movie was so "meh" that I'm having a little trouble feeling excited by the news.

However, if they do get back both Ducovney and Anderson, I'll probably give it a shot. The article didn't say specifically, but I would assume that this would be a single mini-season ala 24: Die Another Day and not a commitment to a new ongoing series?

6. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

I'm in!

I'd like to see Robert Patrick involved as well as Duchovny and Anderson. Since Dallas was canned, Mitch Pileggi should be available too...

7. Saga

Saga Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

always loved The X-Files. i'd love more. like others i felt the series finale was lacking. the second movie was a huge disappointment as well.

the current comic series from IDW has been pretty good thus far. doubt they'd keep those events in continuity with a new series though.

8. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

I saw this news earlier today, and it got me so excited. I don't know exactly how they'd go about it in terms of story, but I would love to see David and Gillian back as Mulder and Scully.

According to the show, the alien colonization was set to take place in 2012. I would be very interested to see how they fit that into a new series.

9. Lexx Shrapnel

Lexx Shrapnel Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

The franchise is continued in a comic series. I heard it's good.

10. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

Agreed. As much as I loved the X-Files back in the day, it feels like they've already told pretty much every good monster-of-the-week or alien conspiracy story there is to tell.

And that's before you consider newer shows like Grimm or Sleepy Hollow, and all the new monsters and twists on old stories they've come up with.

Anything this new X-Files does is only going to feel like a rehash or reworking of stuff that's already been done before, most likely.

11. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

I wouldn't mind a limited run series or mini-series. Reviving if full-fledged would probably be too much and I don't really have an interest in a reboot.

12. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

I would love a 12-episode series or something similar. Make it a miniseries with a single story arc, and I think it could be really cool.

13. Eliczo

Eliczo Lieutenant Red Shirt

A limited series would work best, like the recent 24, but its a very cool idea only if the original guys are still on board.

14. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Same here. After having just watched the series last year, I wouldn't mind something A La 24: Live Another Day. Having another series would feel like a rehash rather than reboot.

15. Sgt. Pepper

The second movie would have been a great episode, but not so much a good movie. I think if they go ahead, I think it will be a limited series. As for the alien colonization or whatever, I honestly don't remember how it was supposed to end, I'm sure they can work around it. I'm sure they can say that it was delayed or even stopped by some black government thing. There's always a way around these things.

16. Starbreaker

Starbreaker Fleet Admiral Admiral

I would be over the moon if they could get Mulder, Scully, and Skinner back for 6-8 episodes.

17. Doctorwhovian

Doctorwhovian Fleet Captain

The second movie was a bit confusing IMO. In the TV series finale, they're clearly on the run and the aliens/supersoldiers/Toothpick man or whatever are sort of still in control, but in I Want To Believe Scully's using her real name in a hospital, and they're given a full pardon...and we never really found out what happened to John, Monica and Gibson.

18. BigJake

BigJake Vice Admiral Admiral

The X-Files was a great example of a show that, while delivering some great television, had false pretenses to a larger story arc that it couldn't fulfil. The movie was indifferent and the televised finale was a bad joke that basically lost most of the fanbase. I remember going to X-Files parties and absolutely loving the show, but its last couple of seasons make it hard to be enthusiastic about a reboot.

19. Sgt. Pepper

Most importantly, they need to advertise the show as Tonight, Fox brings back Fox and confuse the hell out of everyone.

20. Aldo

Aldo Admiral Admiral

I stuck with it through the second to last season, but it lost me after that. I just couldn't muster any interest to watch Season 9. I had the finale on while I was surfing the net, but it didn't really grab my interest.

I would watch a continuation though, I'm currently reading the comic and it's really fun. I know any continuation would probably ignore the comic though, which I'm ok with, as long as the show is interesting again.