New TOS discoveries in HD/DVD

Discussion in 'Star Trek - The Original & Animated Series' started by Botany Bay, Jul 24, 2009.

1. Botany Bay

Botany Bay Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

This thread is for sharing stuff you've only just noticed in episodes thanks to the improved quality of DVD/Blu Ray or whatever format you're on.

I'll kick us off - watching Shore Leave for the 1000th time last night, but for the first time on Blu Ray, Kirk and Bones walk past some kind of hut.

It's in the scene just before Kirk has his first encounter with Finnegan, and you can see it in the bottom left of this trekcore screencap.

2. TheLonelySquire

TheLonelySquire Vice Admiral

Interesting, but I can't open the link. Says it's forbidden.

I will say that the 1st season on blu-ray is fabulous. The colors are so vivid even in the original format.

3. Yeoman Randi

Yeoman Randi Vice Admiral Admiral

Sorry, this is slightly off topic of your original question, but I havent upgraded yet. I still only own the original dvds that amazon came out with umpteen years ago, when they were only releasing one or two dvds at a time. i always thought the pictures looked amazing, sharp, clean with great color. Only now with our blue ray the pictures look stretched. We've been trying to make adjustments but nothing works.

[​IMG]

I guess its time for me to invest in the blu-ray versions of everything Trek....

4. TheLonelySquire

TheLonelySquire Vice Admiral

I don't have the dvd sets that you have, but I DO have them on VHS (anyone have them on Betamax?..lol) and some TNG on Laserdisc. I also have the TOS boxed sets that were the rage 3 years ago. Gotta be prepared.

I will say that these are in a whole different, excuse the pun, universe! Ya gotta upgrade!!!

I'll be going to a 65" Panny plasma in August too, so I'm excited about that.

5. Grant

Grant Commodore Commodore

Wow, that is so cool you mention that hut. i noticed it for the first time last month. It seems to have some pole or support next to it like perhaps a telephone pole.

The hi-def versions are great for seeing stuff you never saw before.

6. Ssosmcin

Ssosmcin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

By stretched, do you mean stretched to fill a 16:9 screen? That is an adjustment you can make with your Blu-Ray Player. On mine (a Magnavox), you go into set up and under display, change the aspect ratio of your TV to 16:9 Stretch. It will then automatically readjust the picture of each DVD to either "piller box" or widescreen, depending on the DVD format.

7. Yeoman Randi

^ SSOSMCIN Thanks, i'll relay that info to my husband. We were working on it again last night but couldnt figure out the fix. It sucks verily watching Trek like this!

8. Grant

Grant Commodore Commodore

That stretching is definately not acceptable. some setting is out of whack.

I've never had a problem with 1.33 pictures being stretched. I hope it doesn't take you too much searching through the owners manual to fix it.

9. guardian

guardian Commodore

The non 'standard uniform' costumes are a real revelation on Blu-ray. Ferris' jacket is brilliant. The dress uniforms look great. Even Charlies little leather jacket, Khan's tunic, the 1930 clothing in City--- all great.
    Since there was no problem with the clothing budgets or material as their might be for expensive sets or props, the costumes really look fantastic in hi-def. Very rich and colorful. Oh yeah, Pikes denim jacket in Menagarie !!

And the location shooting sites look so great in hi-def.
    I am so glad the "it will look cheap and phony in hi-def", Cassandra's were dead wrong.

10. cbspock

cbspock Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I really like the HD versions. The colors really grab you. It shows how colorful Trek used to be before it got dull in the 80s.

-Chris

11. ScatmanRescueMe

ScatmanRescueMe Lieutenant Commander

The colors are fantastic. I hear people incorrectly say, "they turned up the colors' or "they heightened the colors."

No they did a proper color correction for the first time in 40 years.

That's the way the colors were meant to look in 'color-conscious' late 1960s TV.

Man the red in the engineering shirts--especially when the shirts appear to be new and unfaded----WOW!!!

Same with the contrast/brightness. I hear people say they darkened certain episodes.

No they restored the original intent. some directors thought the show looked better with the darker more moody bridge shots (I agree) I think the bridge looks a lot more real when less brightly lit.

12. Botany Bay

Botany Bay Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Wow, I didn't notice the pole, I'll keep a look out for it.

Wasn't that area an Africa-style zoo in the 60's? They did a great job keeping all the zoo stuff out of sight. (Well, till we came along with Blu Ray players 45 years later):lol:

I remember someone saying it's a massive corporate headquarters next to that lake now, and all the parklands are gone. The Shore Leave planet, and all the outdoor shots look beautiful in hi-def. Although the plants in the Vasquez rocks scenes of Shore Leave look a tad fake :lol:

I agree, it's gorgeous to look at - so glad I got the Blu-Ray set. I am finding the colour green all over those sets (and the command uniforms) - that's the thing that jumps out at me the most.

13. Yeoman Randi

Would it be possible for someone to either post a link to the latest edition of TOS for me? Or at least PM such link (like from Amazon). If we dont figure out how to eliminate the stretching on our tv i will have to upgrade to the latest set and i'd like to at least check out what else it has to offer. Many thanks!

(note to those who PM'd me with info on how to possibly eliminate our image problem: we've had family here for the last couple of days, so we havent been able to work on the problem. thank you for contacting me!!)

****never mind! Even the idiot that i am was able to figure this out after going to AMAZON. Thanks!

Last edited: Jul 25, 2009
  14. Doug Otte

Doug Otte Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I have to admit - I kind of scoffed at this thread. Sure, I see a lot of details in HD that I never saw previously, but miss an actual item...ha!

Then I watched Corbomite Maneuver on BD tonight. I previously watched it when I had the HD-DVD set. I don't know how I missed this all the hundreds of times I've seen this seminal episode over the decades, but tonight I did see something new.

When Kirk is having his physical in sickbay and is doing the recumbent leg thingies, he's wearing these darling blue footies. Maybe I never looked at Shatner's feet before. I'm sure I'm the only one dense enough to have missed it before now.

Doug

15. barnaclelapse

barnaclelapse Commodore Commodore

Or even just regular DVD, if you don't feel like spending the extra couple of bucks.

I'm sure the Blu Ray editions are all shiny and flawless, but I'm personally pretty happy with the regular DVDs and haven't seen a particularly striking need to upgrade.

Of course, I'd have to buy a Blu Ray player first.

16. Doug Otte

Doug Otte Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

It appears that your recommendation is based upon not having experienced HD. Am I correct? If so, then I hope everyone takes you recommendation with a huge grain of salt.

If I'm wrong, then let me know.
    Thanks,
    Doug

17. Cyrus

Cyrus Vice Admiral Admiral

I don't have the Blu-ray set, but there were stuff I noticed for the first time when I watched the remastered episodes (thanks to the much clearer image):

- The different color gold uniforms in "Where No Man Has Gone Before"
    - Name tags on the vacuum suits in "The Tholian Webb"

18. Hambone

Hambone Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Here's something new I noticed yesterday in my HD set. Throughout most of the scenes in "Arena" where Kirk battles the Gorn, his boots have laces on them and he's wearing black socks (because of the location shooting and all the running around). But I never saw this before!

[​IMG]

19. Tan Ru

Tan Ru Captain Captain

^Are not those considered old-school wrestling shoes used for grip and position?

*Nice catch! :)

20. Noname Given

Noname Given Fleet Admiral Admiral

I've noticed a lot of the grips and other behind the scenes folks didn't do that great a job of painting the sets - and often left shoeprints on thse transporter pad area. :) (the things you can notice on a 73" DLP HDTV at 1080p resolution.) ;)

It just goes to show NO ONE ever expect the show to survive this long or be watched at such high resolution (and I saw the series first run back in 1969). :)