New Tim Russ Interview- On Tuvok and Of Gods and Men

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Voyager' started by TiberiusK, Jun 12, 2007.

1. TiberiusK

TiberiusK Captain Captain

A new interview with Tim Russ. Pretty short, but interesting. Any reactions?

Read the full interview: http://startrekdom.blogspot.com/

Excerpt:

TD: Berman-era Trek has been criticized for being too conservative, afraid to take risks, and stuck in a tired formula that repeated itself like a broken record. As an actor and director, would you agree or disagree with those criticisms? Could Voyager have taken more risks?

Russ: I guess that’s fair to say. Rick made it a point to carry on the tradition, look and feel of what Gene Roddenberry started on the new Trek shows. The producer has creative control over television so that’s what you are going to get. Most shows that start out with a certain look, usually stay with it throughout.

TD: You’ve recently stated that Star Trek: Of Gods and Men is not a “fan film,” and that plans to sell DVDs and downloads are in the works. Can you please clarify that statement, and do you foresee any copyright battles with CBS/Paramount?

Russ: The feature cannot be sold for profit unless we have some kind of agreement with CBS. As of right now, none of that has been finalized. If no agreement can be reached, then it will be viewed at no charge. And yes to reiterate, it is not a fan film. The look and quality of the piece will speak for itself.

2. Photoman15

Photoman15 Commodore Commodore

So that's the real delay in releasing Part 1!
    They want to see if they can sell it to us instead of it being the originally planned web-isodes.

If they can't sell it, only then will we be able to download it. Why not just tell the truth instead of lying, "oh we're fixing up things".

The same goes for New Voyages. I got an email from a NV producer when "TSAMD" came out telling me they were going to license it from CBS/Viacom so there would be no DVD iso available, while on their website they were saying it would be out soon.

3. TiberiusK

TiberiusK Captain Captain

Yes, that appears to be to be the reason for the delay, although many other factors are probably involved.

They're going to try to sell, which means giving it a Paramount license, I'm guessing.

So, OGAM will be canon?

4. TMara

TMara Commodore Commodore

Nothing has been decided yet, which means: so far they have no license and whether or not that will change at any point in the future, nobody knows right now.
    Tim is not the person in charge of handling the distribution, BTW (free vs. trying for a license). He directed the film and acts in it and he had some story input as well.