New ST reader saying hello!

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by Slyvon, Sep 15, 2013.

1. Slyvon

Slyvon Lieutenant Red Shirt

Hello!

I wanted to say hi to everyone in the book forum! I've been lurking for the past few weeks and have found the posts enormously helpful with my own reading order.

My name is Chris, 33 from Cincinnati Ohio. I've spent the last few years reading all the Star Wars novels in order set after Return of the Jedi. The books were a lot of fun but my heart has always missed the Trek universe.

With a reintroduction to the universe via Netflix and a "gotta read it" suggestion from a friend, I jumped back into Trek universe with the Destiny trilogy. While it was clear the characters has gone through some changes I was blown away! I decided to follow up with another trilogy by the same author, Cold Equations. Boy was I lost! I had an idea what was going on, but there were lots of characters I didn't know and it was clear the universe had changed quite a bit!

So I decided to read the Star Trek books in order (sort of) like I had the SW novels. So far I have read the "A time to" series and the Next Gen novels set after Nemesis. The Voyager novels (THANK YOU Kirsten Beyer for getting the band back together), the Gateway series, and some single novels like Articles of the Federation.

Right now I'm reading the DS9 novels, having just started Unity, and really enjoying the characters created for the relaunch.

Up after DS9, the Titan series, rereading the Destiny series, and the Typhon Act. I imagine by then I'll be ready to read "The Fall" storyline. I'd like to read the Vanguard series to be ready for the new Seekers novels, and I keep thinking I'd like to get into the S.C.E books as well as the New Frontier stuff.

So thats my crazy Star Trek novel plan! Glad to be around and hopefully soon I'll have enough books read to jump into the conversation!

-Chris

2. Paris

Paris Commodore Commodore

Welcome to our little corner of the interweb! Hope you have a fun time :techman:

3. trampledamage

trampledamage Clone Admiral

Agreed- welcome to the Lit forum. There's so much to read and enjoy in Trek lit :)

4. ryan123450

ryan123450 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Glad you're here and really getting into TrekLit!

5. Reanok

Reanok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Hi welcome to the Trek lit forum.:)

6. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

Welcome aboard!

7. bbailey861

bbailey861 Admiral Admiral

You are in for a fun ride, Slyvon. Hand on and have fun.

8. Thrawn

Thrawn Rear Admiral Premium Member

Yeah, almost everything you listed is great reading. You're in for a hell of a ride.

Glad you hit Beyer's Voyager novels especially; they're tremendous!

9. Plaristes

Plaristes Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Welcome! Don't skip Christopher Bennett's novels that aren't in those series you mentioned, as they're some of the very best of Treklit. I'm thinking particularly of The Buried Age and the DTI series. Those three novels are probably my favorite Trek novels of all time. :-)

10. Paris

Paris Commodore Commodore

Also don't forget Ex Machina! It continues the story of the TOS crew after the events of The Motion Picture. It shouldn't be missed :techman:

11. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Plus I'm also a Christopher from Cincinnati, so there's that.

12. Slyvon

Slyvon Lieutenant Red Shirt

You can't swing a dead Targ these days without hitting three or four of us Christophers!

Thanks for the welcome everyone! Adding some Bennett books to the list. I had been thinking about reading those DTI books anyway!

13. KRAD

KRAD Keith R.A. DeCandido Admiral

^ I'm sorry you had to suffer through Articles of the Federation. That author's such a hack, what with his tiresome insistence on using his middle initials all the time, and all those goddamn baseball references...........

14. Captain Clark Terrell

Captain Clark Terrell Commodore Commodore

Welcome, Slyvon!

--Sran

15. Thrawn

Thrawn Rear Admiral Premium Member

Yeah, Bennett's name is a definite guarantee of quality.

Specifically, I second the recommendation for The Buried Age; that's my favorite of his. Incredibly rocking awesome.

16. Greg Cox

And this is the part where I shamelessly mention Christopher's original novel, ONLY SUPERHUMAN, which just came out in paperback . . . .

17. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

Welcome aboard Chris !

I'd watch out for Christopher, Greg, KRAD and Co. if I was you - they're always on here on about their books 'n other stuff.

I find the best way to deal with 'em is to buy their books...

;)

18. jpv2000

jpv2000 Captain Captain

Welcome Aboard!

I see you mentioned Titan already. That's my current fave series. Christopher wrote 2 of those, 2 of the best in my humble opinion. :techman:

19. Greg Cox

Well, if you insist . . . . :)

20. Kertrats47

Kertrats47 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Welcome! Yeah, you're definitely in for some terrific reading. Kirsten Beyer's Voyager novels are a particular favourite of mine, as are Christopher's books (especially the Department of Temporal Investigations books, but I also loved his first foray into the post-Enterprise universe with A Choice of Futures)!