New Realistic Take on "Light Saber" duels

Discussion in 'Star Wars' started by KamenRiderBlade, Oct 25, 2021.

1. KamenRiderBlade

KamenRiderBlade Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Corridor Digital's new Light-Saber battle short titled: "To The Death"

BtS (Behind the Scenes) in the making of said new short by Corridor Digital

I thought the Light Saber duels made alot of logical sense in the way they used practical sword fighting forms and the advantages that a Light Saber would induce.

2. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

I liked the friendly way that ended.

I could see those two characters as actually being healed..or as Waldo proxies with real bodies resting out of the way.

I have never seen someone try to slide their own blade down their opponents’ for a wrist hit..or instantly double the sabers blade into the midriff of the other combatant.

I might do something similar with the guys comparing blaster hits and talk about which sci-go weapon hurts most…with one guy running out when confronted with a Dalek gun or Veron-T

“NOPE!”

Commander Troi likes this.
  3. KamenRiderBlade

KamenRiderBlade Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The real world of Sword Combat and all it's techniques is far more deep than you could ever imagine.

Especially when it comes to doing damage in area's that you normally wouldn't think about.

https://www.rakuten.com/blog/how-many-batteries-star-wars/
    I never realized how energy inefficient the tech in Star Wars was.
    Lightsabers

Lightsabers are powered by high-output diatium power cells, which are capable of recharging naturally. The blade neither radiates heat nor expends energy until it comes into contact with the solid item it is striking.

Qui-Gon Jinn used his lightsaber to cut into the thick blast doors of Nute Gunray’s bridge. The doors were 2.35 meters tall and over a meter thick. Qui-Gon’s lightsaber cut a circular area approximately 0.9 meters in diameter.

In order to melt 0.87 cubic meters of conventional steel, it would require approximately 1.69 gigajoules of thermal energy. That is equivalent to 469,482 watt-hours, slightly more energy than one lightning bolt.

One lightsaber has the equivalent energy of 120,380 AA batteries (that’s 6,000 pounds of batteries or 250 gallons, enough to fill-up a kiddie pool). It’s also equivalent to 650 car batteries (that’s 26,000 pounds, exceeding the 20,000-pound maximum weight of a single-axle semi-trailer). One lightsaber is also equivalent to 67 Tesla Powerwalls, 0.28 barrels of oil (5.5 gallons of gas), one nuclear reactor or 0.05 seconds of Earth’s power supply.

And how Terrifying/Awesome real Light-Saber damage should be if they were scientifically accurate

Last edited: Oct 25, 2021
  4. The Reverend

The Reverend Lieutenant Red Shirt

Very much liked that video... seemed more practical.

5. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Science to entertainment's rescue again. :rommie:

Commander Troi and The Reverend like this.
  6. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

The title of this thread reminded me of this clip I saw a while back:

7. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

So, I did get a chance to sit down and watch both clips and figured I'd offered my commentary such that it is.

First of all, I always appreciate Corridor Crew's efforts. They have a great variety of content, and lots of things that I have learned. Their idea to recreate the lightsaber and really push it beyond wat was set as the gold standard in both film and fan film efforts is refreshing. Certainly something that my friends and I had debated about for many many years at our SW fan club meetings. The visual effects, especially at the beginning, are probably the best part of this, because I love the idea of this blade forming at first being chaotic and the solidifying. The spark effect was decent as well.

What I appreciate perhaps the most is efforts to make the lightsaber feel like a real object. While Star Wars is always existing in a fantasy world the touches of reality are nice way to ground it in a different way.

For the sword fighting I found it decently done. It wasn't quite fully compelling as it went on but I at least appreciate the way they were able to show different aspects of combat and the ending bout was good.

Fun experiment.

publiusr and Commander Troi like this.