Spoilers New Picard TV Series and Litverse Continuity (may contain TV show spoilers)

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by chrinFinity, Aug 6, 2018.

1. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

Until they branch back to the 22nd century (which becomes extremely likely should their first wave of TV brand expansion be successful), the ENT RotF series should be largely okay.

Leto_II likes this.
  2. picardjean-luc

picardjean-luc Captain Captain

Comicbooks.com just released a preview of the newly released IDW 20/20 featuring young Captain Picard while he was commanding the Stargazer. It also features his bestfriend and XO Jack Crusher and his new fiancee Dr Beverly Howard;

Really enjoy the pictures esp. those of Jean-Luc and Beverly. Kinda wish these two would've been together ;);)

Which makes me wondering whether the Picard comic would've had any relations with the new series, perhaps a flashback scene featuring a young Picard? Or perhaps
    even involving a time-travelling Picard, as at least one YouTuber (JP/Egostatic Funtime) has speculated recently??

If so, how would've all these changes affect the Prime Timeline and the future Picard-related comics and novels? ;);)

3. JonnyQuest037

JonnyQuest037 Vice Admiral Admiral

Doubtful. I don't think that the folks at IDW have much more idea what the new Picard series has in store than the rest of us. Especially considering that it hasn't started shooting yet.

4. Stephen!

Stephen! Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

They've referenced Control in this week's Discovery episode, so perhaps they will be willing to acknowledge some aspects of the novel continuity.

Ketrick likes this.
  5. Thrawn

Thrawn Rear Admiral Premium Member

Just a heads up, David Mack specifically said this was not the case. (That the line wasn't a reference to the Control novel.) That's in the other thread, but I feel like it should be here too.

6. Burning Hearts of Qo'nOs

Burning Hearts of Qo'nOs Commodore Commodore

So Stewart on the Graham Norton Show has said that the new series takes place 19 years after the TV series specifically:

"When the project was first announced there was word that the show would be set 20 to 25 years into the future of the the Star Trek: The Next Generation timeline. While appearing on The Graham Norton Show, the actor ended up revealing a more specific time saying it’s set, “Exactly 19 years in the future, which was how time has passed since the last time I put on my spacesuit...for the television series.”

https://geektyrant.com/news/patrick...s-new-picard-star-trek-series-will-take-place

They went ahead and did the math for us! Even though we here probably could have just yelled it out after thinking about it for a couple seconds.

"The final episode of Star Trek: The Next Generation, “All Good Things,” was set in the year 2370. With the Picard series taking place 19 years later, it means the series will be set in the year 2389."

Oh man, that timing. Lemme go through the ritual and make an obligatory statement about not expecting the books to be followed or whatever and that I just want this series to be good and whatever, but...

Oh man its so close to where we are in the novel timeline!!! I'd love it if the new series doesn't do anything to contradict the novels (while not specifically basing anything from the novels) so we can continue on, lol. With the Picard series bringing the 24th century back into the public, maybe new books based on his series could link together the litverse the way DSC is being incorporated into the TOS timeline?

7. Paris

Paris Commodore Commodore

^I thought they meant the show would be in 2398, as that is 19 years after Nemesis...just like in the real world roughly.

Ketrick and Paul Weaver like this.
  8. Burning Hearts of Qo'nOs

That's what I had thought too, but the wording in the article, "Exactly 19 years in the future, which was how time has passed since the last time I put on my spacesuit...for the television series," implies that its 19 years since AGT. I mean, he could easily have meant since the last time he had ever put on the 'spacesuit' which would be from NEM and he didn't mean literally the series, but who knows. Maybe he's like many of us and just doesn't want to think about NEM and he thinks of his time as Picard in terms of the series and not in terms of the movies, which I would understand. I'm sure his fondest memories of Star Trek took place on the tv series. Maybe the events of the movies (and how his character shifted slightly into action hero) are also part of what makes him a changed person in the new show, and he thinks of this Picard as a different Picard as the one from the show specifically.

It kinda makes sense that the series would take place shortly after the destruction of Romulus rather than many years after it, but we obviously won't know for sure unless they give us an actual year it takes place in, or the information about the series becomes less ambiguous as a throwaway quote from Stewart.

9. JoeZhang

JoeZhang Vice Admiral Admiral

I forgot think he misspoke - when they announced it they talked about it being twenty years after nemesis.

the symbolism is better as well with 2399.

Ketrick, Leto_II and DrCorby like this.
  10. Yistaan

Yistaan Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Star Trek Online is about to become as relevant to Star Trek as Star Wars the Old Republic is now to Star Wars. I wonder what the STO devs will do? At this point they might as well just rewrite the game to match the Picard show and have the in-universe explanation that Q showed up, snapped his fingers, and rewrote the old STO timeline.

11. Burning Hearts of Qo'nOs

It should be noted that many articles on Geektyrant tend to jump the gun on statements and interviews such as this one, and tend to also make premature declarations.

12. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Fleet Admiral Admiral

They said they’ll cross to that bridge when it gets there. They’ll either adapt, or call themselves an alternate timeline.

13. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I hope it was mistake and it really is 19 years after Nemesis, if it just 2 years after the books, that means there's a lot less chance they'll have the time to adjust the books to fit without having to just wipe everything out.

14. Tim Thomason

Tim Thomason Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

They've rewritten stuff before (i.e. Ezri Dax), so rewriting the fate of various characters piece-by-piece is no issue. In fact, they could make a big deal out of it, if they have to, and have someone start messing with time or reality at a whim and end up with Star Trek Online: Picard Edition.

15. David cgc

David cgc Admiral Premium Member

STO has more wacky hijinks with time travel and parallel universes than the Trek game where that's actually the premise. They'll be fine no matter what happens.

The Wormhole likes this.
  16. Yistaan

Yistaan Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Actually, a really bizarre way would be to have your character in STO, at the end of the current sets of missions, go back in time to just before the Picard show and change the timeline so that the Iconian invasion, Klingon war, and Borg invasion all happen differently.

Your crew and ship are now stuck in the Picard show timeline (having basically created it) the way Spock Prime was stuck in the Kelvin timeline. Starfleet classifies your actual origins and you continue on missions for them running parallel to the Picard show.

Leto_II likes this.
  17. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Oh god the player base would hate that. They're already complaining about the Discovery missions not really advancing STO's 2410 story.

18. Galaxy

Galaxy Captain Captain

Rick Berman was unusual because before he worked on Star Trek he was a Paramount Executive, and Vice-President responsible for Paramount TV productions. Rich Berman was the person who would hire and fire someone like Gene Roddenberry. He was very high up on the org chart. He had to give up those positions to work on Star Trek. That may sound like a demotion, and on paper it is, but it apparently was not the intent here. Paramount wanted one of their own controlling their prized possession. His official titles of Supervising Producer, and later Executive Producer were really an understatement. Rick Berman, unlike all other Producers, was never hired on a per production basis, he had a contract directly with Paramount, that made him very difficult to fire without an expensive severance package. Even after Enterprise was cancelled he continued to work at Paramount for some time. On paper he may have worked for Gene Roddenberry in Season 1, but for Paramount Rick Berman would have been the go to person. He had the network.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2019
  19. DS9forever

DS9forever Commodore Commodore

Ira Steven Behr seemed to be the only person who didn't kowtow to Berman.

20. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

I thought that was because Berman paid less attention to DS9 than Voyager, so they got more creative leeway?