Spoilers New Picard TV Series and Litverse Continuity (may contain TV show spoilers)

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by chrinFinity, Aug 6, 2018.

1. David Weller

David Weller Commander Red Shirt

If I had the choice between the litverse continuing and the new Picard show, I'd choose the litverse,

2. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Same here, I'm continuing to hold out hope that there'll be a way for it to continue in some form even after the show has started.

RonG likes this.
  3. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

Even if the new shows don't somehow irreparably contradict the novel continuity, it's probably coming to an end anyway. With all the new shows in development, most new novels are going to be tie-ins for them. And with the total novels per year likely less than twelve now (since they're all trade paperbacks) that's going to eat up the majority of the annual line-up. What slots are left over will likely go to TOS 5YM (the best selling Trek novels).

JonnyQuest037 likes this.
  4. Damian

Damian Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I don't know. As much as I love the litverse I'm not sure I would ever say I'd give up something on screen just to keep the litverse. I'm one of those that hopes to have my cake and eat it too, that is have a really good show that my some miracle the litverse can co-exist with it, at least for the most part (as unlikely as I think that would be).

Now I of course hope it's a great show. I mean, it would really suck if the show makes it impossible for the litverse to continue and the show was a bust too. I do hope that's not the case. And I'm hoping Picard is not some broken man like some speculated. It's ok if he's had hardships and so forth. But I'm not interested in seeing some depressed character who got himself in some sort of rut. That would be disappointing.

USS Firefly likes this.
  5. Damian

Yeah, that's my feeling as well. As a matter of fact I'd think it's a pretty safe bet we've seen the last DS9 and Enterprise book already. TNG will continue for a time (and maybe include some DS9 and Titan characters as a bonus) at least until the nu-TNG show starts. Voyager will end too probably once "To Lose the Earth" is someday released (and to be honest, I wouldn't be surprised if that gets quietly pulled at some point--first of all because I'm not sure there's a market for a $16 Voyager novel--and Beyer is probably incredibly busy, writing a novel is probably the last thing on her mind right now).

The only hope maybe is if Pocketbooks revives it's E-book only offerings at some point, maybe some spinoff stories might be written in that area. Christopher mentioned that at one point (only as an idea, not anything planned). While I prefer hardcopies, E-books are better than nothing---I'd happily take it.

6. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Fleet Admiral Admiral

I don't see why Enterprise would be included here, it's still way before any of the new series.

7. SolarisOne

SolarisOne Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Not having any new novels to read won't kill me--I've still got a nice backlog.

8. Damian

For Enterprise it's more the likely lack of available slots for an Enterprise book, and while I love the Enterprise books, honestly I can't say there's a market for $16 Enterprise trade paperbacks. I'm sure Pocketbooks feels they would get more buyers for a $16 original series book, or tie-in book. And I think we've seen the last of any MMPB books.

Tuskin38 likes this.
  9. Leto_II

Leto_II Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Wasn’t Kirsten supposed to have already finished up To Lose the Earth awhile back (before work started on the new Picard TV show)?

10. Damian

The last thing I heard was that it was still being worked on, that was about a year ago. I haven't heard a thing about it since.

I do hope to see it someday. But as more time passes with no word about it, and with all that she has on her plate, I'm just becoming more pessimistic that it will see a release. I'm no expert on these sorts of things, but I have to think with her work on Discovery and with her having more responsibilities with the nu-TNG show that is just getting off the ground, if "To Lose the Earth" isn't completed yet, I just can't envision her having the time to also write a book on top of everything else.

I just wouldn't be surprised at some point if it quietly gets shelved.

11. David cgc

David cgc Admiral Premium Member

Doug Drexler accidentally posted the cover art for "To Lose the Earth" for about five minutes a few weeks ago, so it's gotten that far, though as we've been talking about in the "The Enterprise War" thread, cover art comes fairly early in the process.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2019
  12. Thrawn

Thrawn Rear Admiral Premium Member

Kirsten is definitely still working on To Lose the Earth.

Damian likes this.
  13. mattman8907

mattman8907 Commodore Commodore

i'm telling you I think the Litverse needs a complete reboot. The one thing I do love about what the Star Wars did was that they created the Lucasfilm Story Group where they made sure all content moving forward was connected and that it didn't contradict what came before.

14. Reanok

Reanok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'd think it would be too bad if there aren't going to be any more Deep Space nine or Enterprise books. I'm more interested in seeing books about them.There's still alot of good stories left to tell with these characters.

15. KBEnterprise

KBEnterprise Ensign Red Shirt

Bare minimum, what would this show need to accomplish to not cause a complete train wreck in the Lit-verse?

16. DS9forever

DS9forever Commodore Commodore

I'm hoping the DS9 documentary will keep people interested in DS9 and keep novels being published.

17. JoeZhang

JoeZhang Vice Admiral Admiral

Bare minimum - you'd need Picard not to state that he retired in 2381 and that how he wished he had married like his good friend Bev.

Really it's impossible to say - because what can be throw-away lines on the TV will be like pulling threads on a jumper. Given past history, for all we know Patrick Stewart might have had significant influence and decided that Picard did a whole range of possible things that collapse the Universe.

Furthermore, if the show is a success, we will likely see more in this time-period. Impossible to avoid divergence...

What would be sort of cool is if they 'closed out' this version of the Universe - so you could do all sorts of wild things because it's the end...

Leto_II, JonnyQuest037 and ryan123450 like this.
  18. JonnyQuest037

JonnyQuest037 Vice Admiral Admiral

Without new live-action Trek projects, the litverse would go away anyway. The litverse is there to support and supplement the live-action projects, not vice versa.

DrCorby and Tuskin38 like this.
  19. David cgc

David cgc Admiral Premium Member

Indeed. I'm no longer as sanguine as I had been about TV/tie-in coordination as I was before Discovery season two started.

The way Burnham mentioned "how she left things" with Spock, and the fact that it keeps coming up, suggests that the incident that caused their total estrangement is going to be a major revelation in the season, and I'm just going to guess it's not going to be "We talked it out and we're basically fine now, but Spock is bad about calling. Remember, Captain Pike? You were there for part of it." If this is happening with a story the TV team specifically commissioned, I don't see how cross-media coordination with Star Trek can be at anything other than its nadir. Even back during the '90s, the books could get a handshake promise that certain recurring characters were unlikely to recur further, the movies and TV shows talked to each other, and even the books and comics coordinated a little.

Of course, what I'd really like is for them to pretend the last three episodes of season one didn't happen and start giving contradictory backstory retconning that, but it looks like we're stuck with the idea that someone who can't keep her craving for sapient flesh quiet for five minutes is an effective spy, and that you can conquer the Klingon Empire by waving around an alien-made iPad.

Tell that to 2005 through 2009.

Actually, strike that, why am I counting YA novels and comics? Tell that to 2005 through 2017.

KBEnterprise and TheAlmanac like this.
  20. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yeah, the only reason the litverse/Novelverse exists is because we went for so long without any Prime TV series. A new TV series means there's a not insignificant chance the the Novelverse as it is as of the most recent novels is going to have to come to an end, either by being completely invalidated or by shifting to match how things are in the new show. Either way, whatever novels we get starting late this year/early next year will almost certainly be very from what we are getting now.

JonnyQuest037 likes this.